HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:14 PM

I'm very confident in stating that virtually all of the frequent posters on here have no connection to big development & transportation companies. We're just fans of dense urban development and the transportation systems needed to support that.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:32 PM

Not a Development Bigwig, or Transportation Mole. I'm a hotelier who grew up playing Sim City.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Not a Development Bigwig, or Transportation Mole. I'm a hotelier who grew up playing Sim City.
I hope we get a sequel to Cities: Skylines soon.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I hope we get a sequel to Cities: Skylines soon.
Embarrassed to say I haven't played Cities yet. It's sitting there on my computer all set and ready to go. But I end up playing something mindless instead. Like Fortnite with my kid. It's sad. Used to be a Sim City Bachelor, now I'm a Fortnite Dad.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Embarrassed to say I haven't played Cities yet. It's sitting there on my computer all set and ready to go. But I end up playing something mindless instead. Like Fortnite with my kid. It's sad. Used to be a Sim City Bachelor, now I'm a Fortnite Dad.
That's crazy. Cities is the only true sequel to Sim City 4.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:14 AM
Resident Moron

My only connection is a few friends who work at the city, a friend that works in permitting and a friend that works for a developer.

Certainly not a big wig and most my info comes from someone telling me not to post something online and me doing it anyway.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Certainly not a big wig and most my info comes from someone telling me not to post something online and me doing it anyway.
LOL! We appreciate your lack of discretion!

As for me, far from being a planner or development professional. Just really interested in development and urban planning and put in some serious hours on Sim City, Sim City 3000, Sim City 4, and now Cities Skylines. And I will admit that I spent a lot of money on a nice gaming laptop solely for the purpose of being able to play Cities Skylines...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:48 PM

You caught me! I am indeed an A&E employee...although I'm at a small boutique firm that's almost never involved in the kinds of huge projects that are discussed on this forum. But like most in my profession, I'm indeed a big fan of urbanism and love following development in Austin.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfrie View Post
I am not trying to troll but am trying as a faceless resident to put on an independent record - for my own benefit - that I believe the Project Connect subway system will never be built.
With lots of experience online, the way you approached this is basically the most trolly way to do it. You're a poster who joined this month, no history or opinions, and a single, out of the blue, low effort post which will rile others up.

Regardless, of course many of the posters here will be connected to the industry, directly or indirectly! This is a niche forum! And there's no problem with that, because I can guarantee you that even the most concerted effort to astroturf this forum with pro-developer sentiment will result in jack shit in real life. Astroturfing Twitter would have more of an effect.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPBreton View Post
With lots of experience online, the way you approached this is basically the most trolly way to do it
Speaking of a "trolly" comment. For someone with only 42 posts on this forum (and I do not have many more), and with self-proclaimed "lots of online experience", you would think allowing members to have an independent opinion without being unnecessarily attacked for it would be encouraged. Having different viewpoints (without being attacked for them) is what makes for a good conversation.

Also, I will not be responding to replies. As a 15+ year stalker/member of this forum, the recent lack of allowing different viewpoints without being attacked is very disturbing.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
Speaking of a "trolly" comment. For someone with only 42 posts on this forum (and I do not have many more), and with self-proclaimed "lots of online experience", you would think allowing members to have an independent opinion without being unnecessarily attacked for it would be encouraged. Having different viewpoints (without being attacked for them) is what makes for a good conversation.

Also, I will not be responding to replies. As a 15+ year stalker/member of this forum, the recent lack of allowing different viewpoints without being attacked is very disturbing.
lol. Jesus no one is being attacked. No one has disallowed the poster to post. He said something and others said something back. The amount of privilege in these sentiments from people not used to hearing others speak out against their viewpoints is enough to make you vomit.

Keep lurking if it triggers you that much.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:48 PM
Resident Moron

Ah yes, the thing that makes forums famously great is people showing up with wild speculative takes based on absolutely nothing.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post

If you're going come on a forum with a hot take, you better be ready to spar. As my father told me growing up, "If you're gonna play rough, you gotta be tough".

Crying about censorship of viewpoints if soft AF. That's not at all what is happening on this forum. His viewpoint just happens to be in the minority and we're not afraid to challenge it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:02 PM

To me it wasn't so much about the subway being built/not built -- I mean, feel free to have any opinion you want, but be aware that this forum isn't Reddit, and is filled with people who have deeply (obsessively?) informed ideas about All The Subway Stuff. It's a wonky forum, and we're gonna wonk on uninformed or unsupported comments. My prob was more with the throwaway idea that we're all somehow industry elites/corrupt insiders whose opinions are flawed because of our connections. That's garden variety passive aggressive forum trollery -- and uncool if you're a noob.

But if he wants to start again and come back and say clearly and without pre-arguing why he thinks the subway isn't going to happen . . . then I'll play nicely. New people on the forum is still a good thing, not a bad thing.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:19 PM

Ummmmm..... Sooooo..... How about them transportation projects?

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 12:57 PM

For the record I’m not in any related industry. I’m a graphic designer that works for big tech companies. I too don’t like assumptions made about me to pre invalidate opinions.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 3:19 PM

So those render videos are the most likely iteration of what we'll get for town lake/north south access, yeah?

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
For the record I’m not in any related industry. I’m a graphic designer that works for big tech companies. I too don’t like assumptions made about me to pre invalidate opinions.
“QUIT ‘ATTACKING’ FREE SPEECH!!!! Now excuse me while I go defend Elon Musk on twitter so he’ll be my friend one day.”

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:45 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilliam View Post
If you're going come on a forum with a hot take, you better be ready to spar. As my father told me growing up, "If you're gonna play rough, you gotta be tough".
I disagree with you and others in the Austin forum who seem to have the attitude that this is not a place for us to be civil to each other. We can all have our opinions and should be able to state them without expecting others to not act like grown-ups. It's not much fun to be here lately.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I disagree with you and others in the Austin forum who seem to have the attitude that this is not a place for us to be civil to each other. We can all have our opinions and should be able to state them without expecting others to not act like grown-ups. It's not much fun to be here lately.
I mostly lurk and rarely post, but I 100% agree with you on this. We can and will disagree, sure. If the purpose of a platform like this is to share our common interest in our growing and changing city, then handling our disagreements skillfully is the best way to potentially change anyone's mind on an issue. I know my mind has been changed several times over the years on this forum by users posting skillfully and intelligently.

If we just want to perpetuate our culture's polarized tribalism, then yeah, let's tear each other up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin