HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Also, with global warming, how often does someone really need to shovel/snowblow in a typical winter in say Cleveland or Detroit? Maybe 3-4 times?
3-4 snowfalls a winter in Cleveland?! No way. That's maybe a fair estimate for Cincinnati, but Cleveland gets way more snow than that. My sister lived in Cleveland for a few years and she said it was like a completely different winter experience than Cincinnati. She lived in a high rise, so no shoveling required, but she hated having to drive through the snow/ice, and it was a very common issue she had to deal with there. I know Detroit is on the other side of the lake and doesn't get the same lake effect snow, but the winter is still pretty gnarly I have to imagine.

I personally don't mind winter that much. I find myself missing it at times in Southern California, actually. But I've always said I'd not want to live in a place with worse or longer winters than what I grew up with in Cincy. If Cincinnati got a bit more sun during the winter, it'd be almost ideal. Couple months of cold, couple snow events each year, but otherwise manageable. It has significantly longer fall and spring seasons compared to Cleveland and Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:30 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Couple months of cold, couple snow events each year, but otherwise manageable.
That's Flagstaff. We'll get two feet of snow one day, 45F and sunny the next.

Then again, Flagstaff has its own environmental issues, especially water and forest fires.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
3-4 snowfalls a winter in Cleveland?! No way. That's maybe a fair estimate for Cincinnati, but Cleveland gets way more snow than that.
No, I meant how many shoveling events. Most snowfalls are minor. In most places, you can get away without shoveling. You don't have to shovel unless you're talking at least 3-4 inches, and of course no subsequent melting.

I grew up in suburban Detroit and remembered shoveling during high school, and don't remember doing it more than 3-4 times a year. My dad has a service, and I think he only uses it a few times a year.

And I get it was worse in the past, but nowadays, cars are good in the snow, it's easy to stay warm in the snow, and America is so sprawly and indoors-oriented, you barely have to go outside. People go from their attached garage to some mall or office with an attached garage, and barely feel the weather. In sprawl America, the weather is almost irrelevant.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions