HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:27 AM

^ if so, that sure would be a relief. I've been waiting yrs & yrs to see this high visibility part of dtla finally filled in....it may be viewed by more ppl per day than any other vacant....or parking lot....site in dt. The few smaller bldgs on it over the past several decades were torn down in the past 3 yrs. Since the backers are Chinese sources, however, such as the group that's behind the oceanwide proj, the Olympia proj in today's economy is very, very iffy. But I can dream, can't I?

google.com

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:56 AM

this walking vid on Broadway south of 8th St looks towards the onni apt tower site at Olympic & Hill, & shows the lit up broadway palace apt bldgs, which were parking lots not too long ago. the youtuber walks by the restored bldgs where the hoxton & proper hotels are now located, with the reactivated old herald examiner bldg across the street. I like seeing this since it's a good example of how dtla...in certain ways...is better today than it has been in decades. I also want to give thumbs up nowadays if a hood in LA...in any american city, at least on the west coast....doesn't have too much graffiti, litter, encampments.

https://youtu.be/U-n3NDOMVNk?t=474

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:05 AM
Paramoderator

Isn't there a way to check pulled permits and verify if Olympia is indeed about to break ground? I'd be very surprised if it was going to.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:20 AM

From LA Reddit, the skyline featuring the Beaudry lit up:

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:27 AM

The Foreman And Clark department store and office building was built in 1928. It will soon open 125 apartments and 8500 sq feet ground floor retail. It sits at the corner of 7th and Hill streets.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:37 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Finally!!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Isn't there a way to check pulled permits and verify if Olympia is indeed about to break ground? I'd be very surprised if it was going to.
I can tell you it’s the lot that is directly across the street from Metropolis Hotel Indigo on Francisco St. I just walked by to see if I could speak to anyone, but only people inside the fences working with the demolition. Was hoping to catch someone outside the fences.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
https://www.ladbsservices2.lacity.or...s/?service=plr
Anyone have an address?

I agree there's no chance a Chinese owned project is going to break ground anytime soon. What contractor is going to take that risk with the Fig central husk visible down the street.

Also re: 8th Grand Hope tower from Mitsui, anyone else reminded of the original unbuilt version of Park 5th project? different massing obviously but similar styles.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:34 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
https://www.ladbsservices2.lacity.or...s/?service=plr
Anyone have an address?

I agree there's no chance a Chinese owned project is going to break ground anytime soon. What contractor is going to take that risk with the Fig central husk visible down the street.

Also re: 8th Grand Hope tower from Mitsui, anyone else reminded of the original unbuilt version of Park 5th project? different massing obviously but similar styles.
1001 W. Olympic Blvd. I'm not getting anything but maybe I'm imputing the information wrong.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:51 PM

It seems unlikely that Olympia is moving forward right now given the fact that it is financed with Chinese capital... though I would be thrilled if that is the case. Definitely would alter the skyline in a material way.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:36 PM

false alarm....ppl who accuse others of never being in dtla should themselves at least have a better sense of which properties belong to which projs.

The land for the olympia proposal was completely cleared out awhile ago. However, certain bldgs belonging to, among others, the salvation army do remain east of the land where the olympia towers would go. Even though not as exciting as groundbreaking, at least clearing out rundown properties on the large piece of land from the 110 fwy to fig, from 9th St to olympic is better than nothing. The city's DWP should also get off the dime & clean up 9th St....For many ppl, that's a major western entry point to dtla.

google.com

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:44 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I can tell you it’s the lot that is directly across the street from Metropolis Hotel Indigo on Francisco St. I just walked by to see if I could speak to anyone, but only people inside the fences working with the demolition. Was hoping to catch someone outside the fences.
Was it this site?

https://goo.gl/maps/3mWhsuSnXs17RyfP6

If it's on Francisco St, it wouldn't be Olympia. Olympia is bordered by Georgia, Olympic, and 9th.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
1001 W. Olympic Blvd. I'm not getting anything but maybe I'm imputing the information wrong.
So you don't add the "w" and that only pulls up 1001 E. I did the "address range search" between 1000 and 1010 Olympic with nothing quite right coming up. Any other possible address?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Was it this site?

https://goo.gl/maps/3mWhsuSnXs17RyfP6

If it's on Francisco St, it wouldn't be Olympia. Olympia is bordered by Georgia, Olympic, and 9th.
That’s the site…they are demolishing both structures.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:52 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
That’s the site…they are demolishing both structures.
Nice. Anyone know what's supposed to be coming to that parcel?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Nice. Anyone know what's supposed to be coming to that parcel?
https://www.ladbsservices2.lacity.or...0000&id3=01190

https://www.ladbsservices2.lacity.or...0000&id3=01188

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 8:45 PM

Could it be the Cambria Hotel? Haven't seen anything about it in quite a while but the location seems right.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/anothe...-cambria-hotel

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm1995 View Post
Could it be the Cambria Hotel? Haven't seen anything about it in quite a while but the location seems right.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/anothe...-cambria-hotel
Almost…it’s that lot with the two structures behind that proposed hotel.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 10:20 PM

Off topic but since we love skyscrapers:

Not sure what movie... but a futuristic DTLA concept, don't see these too often.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 10:57 PM

^ those two demo projs apparently are related to the demo of this small white bldg, between the dwp bldg to the right & the larger salvation army bldg to the left. I was hoping the bldg along 9th St...the more visible salvation army property...was going to be demolished too. If certain sections of the hood for the past decades had at least been open land...neither surface parking lots or small warehouses....that would have made dtla seem more promising. However, I admit the arts district is progressing nicely in spite of it being just the opposite of that.

https://www.ladbsservices2.lacity.org/OnlineServices/PermitReport/PcisPermitDetail?id1=22019&id2=10000&id3=03600

google.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations