HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
The new Stantec tower looks great in Red Deer's skyline.
Hopefully it'll have some company in the not to distant future ^_^

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 1:05 AM
ARTchitecture

Thanks for posting in the Canada section finally TriWolf! We need a Red Deer forumer here Represent!

Great shot by the way. Red Deer's skyline is excellent for a city of 100 000. Hopefully the aversion to downtown living starts to subside soon, so that more apartment and condo buildings can be constructed.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Thanks for posting in the Canada section finally TriWolf! We need a Red Deer forumer here Represent!

Great shot by the way. Red Deer's skyline is excellent for a city of 100 000. Hopefully the aversion to downtown living starts to subside soon, so that more apartment and condo buildings can be constructed.
We can hope! We can't be beaten in high rises by our little sister Lethbridge!

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:15 AM
ARTchitecture

Unfortunately Lethbridge hasn't built a tower in decades. Their new City Hall is nice though. Isn't Red Deer looking into a new city hall combined with a central library or something like that?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:34 AM

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:43 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Kingston. Not bad for a slow-growth heritage city of only 150k.

Immediate foreground, to the left--Queen's University
Immediate foreground, by the lake--Kingston General Hospital complex
Background, by the river--downtown

Kingston's urban forest is so lush you can barely see the city! One of the nice things about living in central Kingston is how well-treed all the streets are (great for shade).

This skyline view is about to get better, with an new 9 story residence building now U/C at Queen's and new high-rises planned for the north end of downtown (just to the left of the existing downtown highrises in this picture). There's also a pair of newly proposed 10-story towers, but they won't be part of this specific view; they're off to the left.
I like Kingston but there is still something missing, something unsatisfying about it for me. As if if you add the potential sum of its parts (history, capital flirtations, Queen's University, etc.) there should be more to it.

Sherbrooke is like this for me too.

In my mind they should be something like mini versions of Ann Arbor, Michigan but they are not even close.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:52 AM
ARTchitecture

I know exactly what you mean, actually. Well about Kingston anyways. It's an amazing city for its size, I spent almost 4 weeks there just before moving to Calgary. I guess it just didn't get the love it deserved.

Ann Arbour also has the added distinction of having huge sports tourism, having the largest stadium on the continent and 3rd largest on the planet. Also, it seems to have played a relatively large part of the American industrial revolution, whereas Kingston didn't in Canada.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately Lethbridge hasn't built a tower in decades. Their new City Hall is nice though. Isn't Red Deer looking into a new city hall combined with a central library or something like that?
I have heard this, though I don't think there's been much progress made on it. The site is still untouched. It's not a high-rise however

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I like Kingston but there is still something missing, something unsatisfying about it for me. As if if you add the potential sum of its parts (history, capital flirtations, Queen's University, etc.) there should be more to it.

Sherbrooke is like this for me too.

In my mind they should be something like mini versions of Ann Arbor, Michigan but they are not even close.
I know exactly what you mean.

My theory is that the overwhelming sense of unfulfillment is caused by not utilizing the assets we have.

It has one of the country's leading & biggest universities, yet it doesn't have the huge university-associated innovation culture that Waterloo has. It has an impressive heritage downtown but failed to retain it as the undisputed economic core of the city (retail & employment in Kingston is heavily decentralized). It has a beautiful waterfront but let most of it fill up with private development.

The solution is to make better use of our assets. We need to once again make downtown the centre of our city, we need to revitalize our waterfront, we need to leverage Queen's to boost our R&D economic scene.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:45 AM

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, actually. Well about Kingston anyways. It's an amazing city for its size, I spent almost 4 weeks there just before moving to Calgary. I guess it just didn't get the love it deserved.

Ann Arbour also has the added distinction of having huge sports tourism, having the largest stadium on the continent and 3rd largest on the planet. Also, it seems to have played a relatively large part of the American industrial revolution, whereas Kingston didn't in Canada.
... have you lived EVERYWHERE in Canada??

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 8:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Kingston's skyline still beats the pants off of Lethbridge or Red Deer. Woot Woot!

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 9:08 PM

Maybe in number :p

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 9:21 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
I think both of Thunder Bay's downtowns could compete and Brantford seems comparable. It's an okay skyline, but for 100k with one downtown it looks somewhat underwhelming in that shot. At least to me.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 9:46 PM
ARTchitecture

How on Earth do you think Brantford could compare?

Thunder Bay has been over 100 000 for nearly half a century. Red Deer has been for less than 6 months... so yeah, they're doing pretty well.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Kingston's skyline still beats the pants off of Lethbridge or Red Deer. Woot Woot!
Kingston was a city long before white men ever came anywhere near what is now Red Deer. It better be beating the pants off them!

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:17 AM

Red Deer's still a very suburban city, we're lucky to have our 3 - 4 high-rises. We're surrounded by almost limitless room for expansion of single detached houses. It'd be nice if we're able to gain another 3 or 4 high-rises in the next 20 years, but at the moment, most new residents seem content to live in on their Norman Rockwellesque streets.
We also have no metro, the nearest town is Blackfalds, (8,000) which is 5-10 minutes north and in a different county. Despite this, many people who work in Red Deer are content with living in other communities (lower taxes and small town atmosphere I guess) like Sylvan Lake, Springbrooke and Penhold and making the 10-15 minute commute into the city, that with the surplus of land for housing expansion, High-Rise development in Red Deer is difficult to get off the ground.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Kingston was a city long before white men ever came anywhere near what is now Red Deer. It better be beating the pants off them!
Indeed, and it took Kingston two centuries to reach 100,000, while it took half that time for Red Deer to do the same. Who Knows, maybe by the time Red Deer's at 150,000 - 200,000 we'll have as many high-rises as Kitchener or St. John's.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:10 AM

Just remembered that I have this angle. Probably shows more of the city's high-rises and mid-rises.

Last edited by TriWolf; May 28, 2014 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriWolf View Post
Indeed, and it took Kingston two centuries to reach 100,000, while it took half that time for Red Deer to do the same. Who Knows, maybe by the time Red Deer's at 150,000 - 200,000 we'll have as many high-rises as Kitchener or St. John's.
Hey, that's not our fault. It's because the British were mean and took the capitol away from us.

We'd be one of the greatest cities on the continent if that didn't happen, a city of 1.5 million with almost 100,000 people living in an inner city made up almost entirely of limestone. Ah, fantasies....

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:38 AM
ARTchitecture

Thanks for these shots lately TriWolf. I have searched the Google-verse for ages trying to find decent Red Deer shots. I even tried taking some myself (to no avail) so your contribution here is greatly appreciated. It is great to see both Kingston and Red Deer finally getting some love here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada