HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 4:32 PM

Ditto for me. Have been downtown around 5-6 pm a few times and was seeing heavy traffic for the first time in a long time (as well people). But actual rush hour traffic was something I haven't seen in a long time, eg in the Wacker/Orleans/Franklin area.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 6:43 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Yeah, it is a ways off, but impact on future property value, planning, and perception of the Loop from others in the market will be immediate.
Yea, here’s to hoping it spurs some more ambitious skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 9:33 PM

Some interesting stuff from today's Crain's real estate forum:

Quote:
At a @CrainsChicago real estate forum where Mike Reschke from Prime Group confirms that over last several years #Chicago has been top destination for talent in entire @Google North America network because young professionals value the quality of life and amenities we offer 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
https://twitter.com/chicagosamir/sta...84154587598851

Quote:
Reschke says Chicago most popular U.S. big-city destination among 25-45-year-old Google employees.
https://twitter.com/agallun/status/1572583941194002438

Quote:
Prime Group will start demo of Thompson Center in early March, Reschke says. What should the city do to turn around LaSalle Street? “You don’t want to repaint the Mona Lisa,” he says. “Preservation is the key.”
https://twitter.com/agallun/status/1572586891610030080

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:09 AM

Interviews and principal filming for Starship Chicago 2 are now complete, the film will be ready by the end of the year.

I can tell you we've got footage from inside the building like nobody has ever seen before.

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
Interviews and principal filming for Starship Chicago 2 are now complete, the film will be ready by the end of the year.

I can tell you we've got footage from inside the building like nobody has ever seen before.
Sweet, can't wait! Your previous films linked in your sig have been a pleasure to watch.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:00 PM

Not a really a major update, but confirmation from Jahn that Google is pressing ahead despite their recent layoffs.

Quote:
Weekend Interview: Evan Jahn On Jahn Without Helmut
https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...-helmut-118133

Bisnow: What project under design by your firm right now are you most excited about?

Jahn: I don't think [it's] any secret that there's a lot of interest and passion in this office for the James R. Thompson Center. I got the opportunity to work on not just such a pivotal piece of architecture in the Loop in Chicago, but now with Google's involvement, it obviously takes on a whole other degree of impact for the city. And obviously, it has a still really big relationship to the legacy of design that Helmut had at that building. It's also a building with unique form that just has so much potential for creating unique space. And that's really what's so exciting about that project is that there's all this opportunity for different types of access and utilization and vibrancy brought into the downtown business district to make it an exemplary project for how big, design-focused projects can have such a big impact on the financial viability and stability of downtown areas.

Bisnow: So Google bought the Thompson Center last summer, they said that you guys were going to revamp it, Prime Group was going to do some revitalization of the building, and then they were going to take occupancy in 2026. And then in January, Google announced 12,000 layoffs. Is that project still on track? Or have there been any changes with all that movement?

Jahn: No, the project's still moving forward. I think that Google still has every intention on occupying the building. It just brings more of a microscope on not just this project, but what Google's doing on all their real estate improvements and projects, and being very diligent with where they're spending their money. And so does it change the environment from maybe what we would have seen two years ago or even further before that? Yeah. Probably. In the end, it's putting more emphasis on making sure that the design and the performance of the building really align and are shown as real paybacks for those investments.

Bisnow: Where does that project stand right now?

Jahn: There are different areas of building that are in different phases. But overall, I'd say we're probably close to an end of schematic design on it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 7:10 PM
DENNAB

Didn't they already sign the deal?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 5:33 PM

MAS Context has "Starship Chicago II," a documentary film produced and directed by Nathan Eddy, hosted on its site between now and June 18:

https://mascontext.com/events/starsh...cago-ii-online

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 8:06 PM

Good stuff. Sketchy times for office real estate. Thanks for posting this ^. Oddly, I have faith in Google with this. I think they'll do right by it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Good stuff. Sketchy times for office real estate. Thanks for posting this ^. Oddly, I have faith in Google with this. I think they'll do right by it.
I hope you're right.

PS: Also worth noting that our very own "dropdeaded209" is the filmmaker. Excellent work, as always.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I hope you're right.

PS: Also worth noting that our very own "dropdeaded209" is the filmmaker. Excellent work, as always.

Cheers to that! This was a very good piece. Nice work DDed209.

The marble guy was an especially nice add. I always appreciated the floors there, but hearing first hand the amount of human effort involved makes it more appreciated. Two years work on that craftmanship. Wow. So glad this building has a new chapter coming.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 11:36 PM

I hope Google pushes to keep the color (maybe add yellow?) to maintain the kitschy nature of the building. Can't see them in some sterilized stainless steel version of this

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 11:13 PM

Preservationists be grateful the building ain’t biting the dust. Have your preferences, but let the new owners, and the current climate determine current needs, and go with it. Certain areas like lower-level tile could be landmarked, but for heaven’s sake, this is not the Eighties. I like what I heard from Jahn; cannot wait for release of schematics.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 11:01 PM

2026?

Any news on this project (other than cancellation) gets my immediate attention. Seems delayed: Is 2026 realistic at this point?
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin..._content=alert

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 2:37 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_brew View Post
Any news on this project (other than cancellation) gets my immediate attention. Seems delayed: Is 2026 realistic at this point?
Can't read the article, what's the gist?

How does Google of all people f this one up?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Can't read the article, what's the gist?

How does Google of all people f this one up?
There’s nothing much about Google. They seem to be looking over designs and such.

The entire rest of the article is just the usual office market discussions.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_brew View Post
google is telling employees 2026.... which I laughed at when they relayed that info to me....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 3:05 PM

Current status from the developer

Quote:
The Prime Group is busy stripping the building down to its steel structure and rebuilding it with a new curtain wall to make way for an unknown number of Google employees to move in. Google employs about 2,000 people throughout the city.
https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...t-ahead-120192

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 7:03 PM

How come? That's 3+ years. It can certainly be accomplished in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
google is telling employees 2026.... which I laughed at when they relayed that info to me....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 11:36 PM

Maybe they do not want to be in there while all the renovation is going on? When does THAT start?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development