HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:49 PM

That's great news. With the new office towers near the confluence, there had been a bit of a plateau developing there. An extra 15 feet isn't much, but it's enough to help Salesforce stick out just enough above its neighbors in the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:25 PM
The City

Good news but nobody will notice 15 feet

Shoulda been over 900’

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, +15' is rather esoteric stuff that could only ever matter to stat nerds like us.

And while every single vertical foot added to this project is welcome, in the real world, a 1.8% height increase is relatively meaningless as far as casual observation goes.

Now, if we were talking about a >10% height increase, then that would actually start to make a real world difference

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 12, 2022 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:30 PM
BANNED

I wish we could switch the Salesforce Tower SF got with the one we're currently constructing. That would've been great. But I'm not mad about this.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ yeah, +15' is rather esoteric stuff that could only ever matter to stat nerds like us.

And while every single vertical foot added to this project is welcome, in the real world, a 1.8% height increase is relatively meaningless as far as casual observation goes.

Now, if we were talking about a >10% height increase, then that would actually start to make a real world difference
You're comparing the increase to an unfinished building. The next-tallest tower near there is 110 N Wacker, which is 814 ft. The difference between the height went from 21 to 36 ft, which is a noticeable difference when viewed from afar.

River Point and 150 N Riverside are ~730 ft, so a difference of 105 vs 120 ft. From where the core is now, I think that's enough to have a noticeable height increase relative to its neighbors.

More height, something like 900-950, would have been even better.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:23 PM
1st Ward

Considering the location of this tower at the river confluence, we really should be looking at a supertall. Sad that couldn't be the case, but 850 ft isn't bad, and certainly beats a parking lot with an unabridged view of the Apparel Center. Ill gladly take that extra 15'

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
The next-tallest tower near there is 110 N Wacker, which is 814 ft. The difference between the height went from 21 to 36 ft, which is a noticeable difference when viewed from afar.
Really? Like you'd be able to tell from, say, the United Center? I kinda doubt it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Really? Like you'd be able to tell from, say, the United Center? I kinda doubt it.
Here's a shot posted on the last page. The top of the tower is going to be, what, 10 feet higher than the core right now? I think it's noticeable enough
of a height difference between its neighbors when you get out a half mile or more.

[QUOTE=chris08876;9492644]

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ but it's still very much in the same ballpark as the others. the extra 15' are not going to make a very noticeable difference to the casual skyline observer.

yes, obsessive eagle-eyed skylines nerds like us will take notice, but it's still not a terribly meaningful height bump in the real world.

now if it had been a 150 ft increase..... well that would obviously be quite noticeable.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
^ but it's still very much in the same ballpark as the others. the extra 15' are not going to make a very noticeable difference to the casual skyline observer.

yes, obsessive eagle-eyed skylines nerds like us will take notice, but it's still not a terribly meaningful height bump in the real world.

now if it had been a 150 ft increase..... well that would obviously be quite noticeable.
The extra 15' is more of a 'feeling' than something you notice.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:56 AM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:14 AM

Quote:
The difference between the height went from 21 to 36 ft, which is a noticeable difference when viewed from afar.
Quote:
The top of the tower is going to be, what, 10 feet higher than the core right now? I think it's noticeable enough
of a height difference between its neighbors when you get out a half mile or more.
Someone get this man a glass of water.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:33 AM

Quote:

Why would we consider the casual observers of the skyline on this forum?

I wanted this to be 950+ feet tall, but that ship sailed when they axed the hotel. When I see pics of this (haven't been to Chicago since the core got above WPS), it looks very prominent. The extra 15 feet helps is all I'm saying.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:41 AM

Jan 11

r

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 3:02 AM

Jan 13

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:00 PM

1/15/22

Topped out.

I empathize with everyone about 'wishing it was taller', but if you showed the forum this view back in the skyscraper doldrums of 2015 I think most of us would have had to pick our jaws up off the floor.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Jan 13

Beautifully composed shot--very atmospheric

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
1/15/22

Topped out.

I empathize with everyone about 'wishing it was taller', but if you showed the forum this view back in the skyscraper doldrums of 2015 I think most of us would have had to pick our jaws up off the floor.

Azul

Old Posted Jan 16, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
1/15/22

Topped out.

This view is really making me wish it had a spire

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 3:27 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
This view is really making me wish it had a spire
Never too late to stick a 150' flagpole on top of it and claim its a supertall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive