HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 11:46 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Fresh renderings for $1B District NoHo development

Housing, offices, retail to rise on Metro parking lots

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
February 2, 2022

A presentation scheduled for the February 2 meeting of the Metro's San Fernando Valley Service Council (plus an updated project website) sheds new light on District NoHo, the more than $1-billion mixed-use complex planned to replace the park-and-ride lots surrounding North Hollywood Station.

The project, led by developer Trammell Crow Company and its subsidiary High Street Residential, calls for 2.2-million square feet of new construction, as well as new open space and active transportation infrastructure. The completed project would include:
  • 1,216 market-rate housing units;
  • 311 affordable residential units;
  • 105,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space;
  • up to 580,000 square feet of office space (including 87,000 square feet of parking which could be converted to offices in the future);
  • 87,000 square feet of publicly-accessible open space; and
  • 3,313 parking spaces - with 750 reserved for Metro bus and rail passengers.

If and when approved, one of the first acts of the project would be the consolidation of North Hollywood Station's bus facilities on the western side of the Lankershim Boulevard, a space which has long served as the terminus of Metros Orange (G) Line busway. Plans call for the addition of new bus bays and another entrance to the subway, create more capacity for the G Line, local buses, and new bus rapid transit lines slated to connect with the northern San Fernando Valley and Pasadena. However, this may come at the expense of a westbound bikeway running along Chandler Boulevard, as noted by Streetsblog.

Consolidating transit operations on a smaller footprint would clear the way for the construction of eight separate buildings, as well as associated open space, designed by a team that includes Gensler, HKS, KFA Architecture, and RELM. Plans call for a mix of high-rise and low-rise buildings, highlighted by:
  • a 28-story, 322-foot-tall apartment tower (located at the southeast corner of the site);
  • a 20-story, 228-foot-tall apartment tower (located on the northern perimeter of the site);
  • a 25-story, 283-foot-tall apartment tower (located on the northern perimeter of the site); and
  • a 22-story, 281-foot-tall office building (located at the southwest corner of Lankershim and Chandler Boulevards).

According to an interactive map included on the project website, the affordable components of the project will be located in low-rise buildings adjacent to the consolidated bus facility and at the northeast corner of the site.

The roughly 16-acre superblock site would be subdivided by a series of paseos and private driveways - including a corridor which is being billed as L.A.'s first "shared street."

The project is currently in the midst of its environmental review phase, with public hearings expected to begin later this year and continue through Fall 2023. Construction is expected to occur in phases, starting with the affordable housing and new bus infrastructure in late 2023.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:14 AM

Spectacular! That's perfect for noho

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 6:21 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The project, led by developer Trammell Crow Company and its subsidiary High Street Residential, calls for 2.2-million square feet of new construction, as well as new open space and active transportation infrastructure. The completed project would include:
  • 1,216 market-rate housing units;
  • 311 affordable residential units;
  • 105,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space;
  • up to 580,000 square feet of office space (including 87,000 square feet of parking which could be converted to offices in the future);
  • 87,000 square feet of publicly-accessible open space; and
  • 3,313 parking spaces - with 750 reserved for Metro bus and rail passengers.
Excellent project! Highly reminiscent of Mission Rock up in SF. Very similar type of mid rise mixed use, transit oriented development. In fact, the specs are almost nearly identical too.

Mission Rock will have 3.6 million square feet of new construction with:
- 1200 units (40% of which will be affordable)
- 150-250,000 square feet of retail or entertainment
- up to 1.7 million square feet of office space
- 350,000 square feet of public parkland
- 3000 parking spaces

And similarly, Mission Rock has its own Muni Metro station on the T Third Line, and is a short 5 min walk to the 4th and King Caltrain station.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
And similarly, Mission Rock has its own Muni Metro station on the T Third Line, and is a short 5 min walk to the 4th and King Caltrain station.

I like the looks of this... very... cozy.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 12:03 AM
Paramoderator

1000 units is wonderful but some of these buildings are exceptionally ugly. That office building has some of the worst architecture I've seen for a high rise in a while.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 12:13 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm asuming you're talking about the LA proposal and not Mission Rock. If so, I'm in full agreement.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 12:59 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
1000 units is wonderful but some of these buildings are exceptionally ugly. That office building has some of the worst architecture I've seen for a high rise in a while.
If you're referring to the North Hollywood proposal and not the San Francisco sidetrack, then I'll point out that it's 1,537 units of desperately needed new housing, and because it would sit atop the termini of the A Line and the G Line, it is a great example of 'transit-oriented development' in a region that needs it.

Considering what this project can bring, I think the aesthetics of the preliminary renderings are a tertiary concern.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

It IS great TOD. But i think one could also agree it could use a dose of inspiration. Every architectural element is either trite or dull. Can we get a freaking Stephen Holl or someone thats willing to break oit of the milquetoast box?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:53 AM

Wish we can get something like the NoHo project over at the Dodger Stadium parking lots. That area needs revitalization.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 8:38 AM

I think those buildings will look much better in person… at least they’re not similar to the South Park towers of downtown that give off the Vancouverisric vibes.. I love the stone and what looks to be metal panels? Or stucco? Stil stucco could look great when done right

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 5:30 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
It IS great TOD. But i think one could also agree it could use a dose of inspiration. Every architectural element is either trite or dull. Can we get a freaking Stephen Holl or someone thats willing to break oit of the milquetoast box?
I don't have a huge problem with the designs. It's not like this is prime real estate in the heart of DTLA. Besides, it's affordable housing so you can expect some value engineering to some extent. Functionally, it'll get the job done just fine.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 6:35 AM

Century Plaza Hotel Sunday night

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 5:22 PM

Wow!! Looks like something you'd see in Macau or Hong Kong (in a very good way).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 7:41 PM

Is that the normal lighting scheme, or was it just lit like that for an event? I agree it looks cool, but I think it's a bit much if that's the everyday look.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Is that the normal lighting scheme, or was it just lit like that for an event? I agree it looks cool, but I think it's a bit much if that's the everyday look.
Great Pics pwright!! The red lit balconies have been lit this way for a few decades although the lights are brighter now that LED’s are installed. Before it was just a red lens over the standard white light. The top band of blue light is a big change here as in the past this was back lit with white light.

Last edited by hughfb3; Feb 8, 2022 at 6:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:06 AM

Needs a dancing fountain with Con ti Partiro.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:07 AM

Yes, the band at the top was once white, not blue and the balconies were a more muted orange color. It's a matter of taste....personally I think the current lighting theme is a bit too loud. as for the fountain in the center of the ave of the stars, that to me has always been one of the better ones in LA....actually pretty much the one one in a very public location.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:11 AM
你的媽媽

A bit too Vegas-y for my taste.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:52 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

I wish there were more Vegas-like lighting schemes in LA.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Yes, the band at the top was once white, not blue and the balconies were a more muted orange color. It's a matter of taste....personally I think the current lighting theme is a bit too loud. as for the fountain in the center of the ave of the stars, that to me has always been one of the better ones in LA....actually pretty much the one one in a very public location.
Great reference and description… it was a muted orange. Maybe they can mute that red.

Just bringing awareness… We can’t have Hollywood and LA Live style light across the entire LA basin blocking the sky. We have National observatories in Southern California that are in danger of being lost forever and need to be protected from Basin Light Pollution… they are almost unusable because of recent developments. Griffith Observatory has long lost its original intended purpose to LA Light pollution and is now just a touristy landmark showcasing former glory. Let’s not lose our current observatories as LA still has a sizeable aerospace industry that we still want to inspire our children with. One way they will be inspired is if they can actually see the stars.

#lightpollution #darksky

Last edited by hughfb3; Feb 8, 2022 at 7:08 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations