HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Look no further than the years that OTIS spent on Washington Ave all to have it blown up by a self-interested politician that stays in power by keeping people poor through councilmanic prerogative.
He can be voted out- if everything people here are saying is true and everyone in his district was in favor of the road diet I would think he's in big trouble come re-election time. Problem solved.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:42 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by PHL10; Aug 12, 2022 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
He can be voted out- if everything people here are saying is true and everyone in his district was in favor of the road diet I would think he's in big trouble come re-election time. Problem solved.
Problem solved?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I think DROP started under Rendell- the one who you said was not corrupt. Politicians should not have been eligible but they didnt craft the law that way- but the initial reasoning had nothing to do with corruption and 99.9% of people who enrolled in DROP were not elected officials. Whatever they got out of it was inconsequential in relation to the size of the program.

Its interesting how people conflate their personal disdain for others as proof of ineptitude, ignorance, malice, corruption, etc. None of the things you mention are corruption or even evidence of immoral behavior in office. The prerogative may not be the best policy, but a local politician trying to have influence over things within their district (especially in response to what constituents may want or not want) is not corruption.
Respectfully disagree but we're getting off-topic anyway. At the end of the day, even with disagreements, we all want what's best for the City and in that regard, we're all on the same side.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 2:59 PM

I just want the damn protected bike lane. Keep it 5 lanes from 16th to the river and make it a light rail line eventually. That’d be sweet.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I’ve heard the idea floating around of turning the 52/64 into a light rail. Runs down 52nd, then heads east across the river, then down Washington to the Delaware.
Glad to hear that idea is being talked about. I've always felt like the 64 being light rail would be so useful. The 15 also needs to return to trolley service asap. If we had crosstown lines at Washington and Girard, the "Greater Center City" area would be so much better connected.

New rolling stock would help too...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Didn't we go over that his constituents didn't want that plan.

Anyone know what the data was for Majority for the plan and against it in his district?
Most of his constituents wanted it - it became racial b/c of a pretty vocal minority of Point Breeze residents who see bike lanes and traffic calming as benefitting mostly white people .....which will, of course, make the area more attractive, and thus increase the issues of gentrification that they are worried about. Bike lanes is a euphemism akin to avocado toast.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
I just want the damn protected bike lane. Keep it 5 lanes from 16th to the river and make it a light rail line eventually. That’d be sweet.
The protected bike lane is included either way iirc.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I don’t think that’s true. From what I understand, Wash Ave East of Broad is getting only a repaving. I’d love to be wrong there though.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It might be a painted bike lane not protected.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Most of his constituents wanted it - it became racial b/c of a pretty vocal minority of Point Breeze residents who see bike lanes and traffic calming as benefitting mostly white people .....which will, of course, make the area more attractive, and thus increase the issues of gentrification that they are worried about. Bike lanes is a euphemism akin to avocado toast.
This is the stuff that boggles my mind. There is constant discussion of inequitable access to amenities in poor neighborhoods and neighborhoods of color and when something nice is about to happen, the constituents that stand to benefit the most fight hardest against it.

I will never in my life forget when Temple offered to create a BID and clean all the residential streets in North Philly west of broad and the neighborhood voted against it because of the G word.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Alen View Post
Glad to hear that idea is being talked about. I've always felt like the 64 being light rail would be so useful. The 15 also needs to return to trolley service asap. If we had crosstown lines at Washington and Girard, the "Greater Center City" area would be so much better connected.

New rolling stock would help too...
15 is coming back in March.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:01 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
15 is coming back in March.
So the trolleys we currently have proposed to come back are

Delaware Ave Trolley
12th st Trolley?

What other lines are proposed? Do we see Erie Ave Trolley coming back?

And isn't the other proposed Trolley line to come back West of Broad for NS connections

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:08 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Correct which means something needs to be done to reassure the residents who feel they will be pushed out will not be.

it's a double edged sword, because we all know of past gentrification was labeled "Urban Renewal" in the past times. so with some older people being present in that era that are still around they remember it, and the damage it caused.

Kenyatta is right for sticking up for those who feel left out, it actually is the right thing to do, however a compromise and reassurance to your people and the other party is what would have been a great solution instead of just shutting it down.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:12 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This is the stuff that boggles my mind. There is constant discussion of inequitable access to amenities in poor neighborhoods and neighborhoods of color and when something nice is about to happen, the constituents that stand to benefit the most fight hardest against it.

I will never in my life forget when Temple offered to create a BID and clean all the residential streets in North Philly west of broad and the neighborhood voted against it because of the G word.
What were the proposed improvements for the neighborhood?

If a University sitting in the middle of the neighborhood, and hasn't caused full scale gentrification people shouldn't worry...... However there are times in the past Temple has taken parts of the neighborhood which were black owned, demoed it, and built more school. I believe the exact location I'm speaking about is Broad, and Ontario where the Hospital and big parking garage is.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
So the trolleys we currently have proposed to come back are

Delaware Ave Trolley
12th st Trolley?

What other lines are proposed? Do we see Erie Ave Trolley coming back?

And isn't the other proposed Trolley line to come back West of Broad for NS connections
15 is on temp leave while I-95 is being rebuilt. Full line, including to Richmond and Westmoreland, comes back in March.

If by 12th Street Trolley you mean the 23, it ain't happening.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:24 PM

Wow, let me think back. So the 15 ran on Girard Avenue and is coming back.

The 64 was over on 52nd Street so that's coming back; well hold up. the 70 Trolley ran near 52nd and Market so if that is coming back to then hey; okay!

The 23 trolley; well I wish that would come back; but I don't know.

The trolley on Delaware Avenue I think was the 26 trolley; haven't seen that in years but that would be great if that came back.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
I’ve heard the idea floating around of turning the 52/64 into a light rail. Runs down 52nd, then heads east across the river, then down Washington to the Delaware.
If they dedicate 2 of the 5 lanes on Washington to 🚎 i would be happy. At this point I'm just accepting its going to suck for a while at least. At least on the west side of broad. East side i heard they're doing 3 lanes.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:39 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
15 is on temp leave while I-95 is being rebuilt. Full line, including to Richmond and Westmoreland, comes back in March.

If by 12th Street Trolley you mean the 23, it ain't happening.
I could have sworn the 23 was bound to come back due to the new Transportation goals that dropped a year ago, and the fact that the trolley rails are still in the ground along most of that route.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:45 PM

The 23rd & Walnut Rite Aid proposal is a massive disappointment.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220812.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations