HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 6:19 PM
Philly Rising Up!

The Mellon Bank bldg is one of my favorite and underrated bldgs. The height, design, and materials are top notch and continues to stand the test of time.

Also, glad to hear there are doing interior renovations.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 10:14 PM

Funny, I'm currently writing an article on that. Expect it tomorrow

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 5:52 AM

Hot Takes (CDR May 2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
May CDR Submissions are up!

No highrises in this one, but some nice projects.
Link:
https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...blic-meetings/
Hot Takes (CDR May 2022)
  • 6808 Ridge Ave – This one is not attractive. Those under-window ventilation grates? The strange, arched stone building corner? No.
  • 1031 Germantown – Very European (in a good way) in how tight the courtyards are for these townhomes.
  • 1631 S 52nd St – OK, so it's a storage building. But instead of the murals being relegated to those tiny street-level panels, why are we not doing massive mural panels on those hideous blank walls?
  • 1238-46 Belmont Ave – Certainly into the architecture here, but a 271 SF 1 bedroom? In what world?; The public pocket park component is very nice though; Including the rendering of the prominent cell phone tower was a choice.
  • 1649 N 5th Street – The facade is very lackluster. Feels phoned in. Wish I had stronger points of critique, but it just feels 'meh'
  • 2001 Richmond – Ambitious, large waterfront lot. Architecture is boxy and is dense, but just townhouses. I say 'just' because it doesn't come off as honoring the site with an inventive enough open space for its rare waterfront location.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Hot Takes (CDR May 2022)
  • 6808 Ridge Ave – This one is not attractive. Those under-window ventilation grates? The strange, arched stone building corner? No.
Yeah it gives me suburban faux "main street" strip mall vibes. Just going simpler with all brick would look more authentic

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
1735 Market Street is currently renovating its lobby and Market Street entrance. I recall a while back (4-5 years maybe?) there was talk of converting the terrace on top of its retail podium to a roof deck, either as an amenity space for tenants, or open to the public. Does anyone know whether this is still in play with work now underway?
I used to be able to see this terrace from my former office and the amenity space was actually completed pre-COVID, though I am not sure if it is public or tenant-only.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 3:44 PM
BANNED

Ionos has officially started operations in 2 Logan Square & I just installed their vending machines!!! 45 employees currently hoping to jump that number up to 70

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 3:57 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
1735 Market Street is currently renovating its lobby and Market Street entrance. I recall a while back (4-5 years maybe?) there was talk of converting the terrace on top of its retail podium to a roof deck, either as an amenity space for tenants, or open to the public. Does anyone know whether this is still in play with work now underway?
There was also once a plan to add a retail podium in the open space next to 1700 Market Street. A steakhouse and a few fast casual food options. I'm guessing the pandemic killed the idea?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...!4d-75.1690844

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 12:22 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
There was also once a plan to add a retail podium in the open space next to 1700 Market Street. A steakhouse and a few fast casual food options. I'm guessing the pandemic killed the idea?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...!4d-75.1690844
I recall that unrealized plan was put forth several years prior to the pandemic and I think 1700 Market changed hands at least once since then. They had even moved Well Fargo's entrance from near the southeastern portion of the building in anticipation of that construction. I think that plan was shelved well before covid.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 12:28 PM

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 2:24 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think Philly needs a Joel Embiid Tower after that game-winner over Toronto last night!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 2:45 PM

The colors are beautiful, even though the purpose they shine for is heartbreaking.
When the city shines in unison its a beautiful sight, if only the crime would just go away after seeing this. (IK it wont, wishful thinking)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 1:52 PM

A very good read on the real story on Philadelphia's tax burden. Well a good read if people are open minded.

https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/g...y-taxadelphia/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
A very good read on the real story on Philadelphia's tax burden. Well a good read if people are open minded.

Interesting, but doesn't this rank gross tax revenues per capita, rather than average tax rates? Of course we'll rank lower on revenues, given our low median wage. When people refer to a tax "burden," they generally are referring instead to the rate.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:43 PM

It's the tax rate that's too high for businesses primarily, but the wage tax needs to be lowered to 2% as well for residents. A lot of it is also just restructuring the WAY business and people are taxed.

They should lower the wage tax to 2% and SLIGHTLY bump up residential property tax rates.

They should eliminate the BIRT tax and use and occupancy tax and increase property taxes on commercial properties.

I understand a lot of this has to do with the State of PA and their restricting of ability to tax residential and commercial properties at different rates... but I digress.

All in all, of course we would have the lowest tax revenue generated than the other cities ahead of us. Our median household income is much lower than all the other cities ahead of us.

2% wage tax rate of a median household income of $80,000 is $1,600 a year.
3.8% wage tax rate of a median houseshold income of $40,000 is $1,520.

So therefore, the city with the lower tax rate is still generating more tax revenue because it's attracting business that generate high earning jobs. That's pretty much economics 101... I know this is a major struggle to understand for much of our political regime in City Hall... and again, I know a lot of this has to do with the state as well.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 8:31 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post

I would want to see what % of the population in Philly are taxpayers vs other cities.

Since most other cities don't have a wage tax I assume their revenue comes from higher property taxes? Sales Taxes?

Would be curious to see what taxes there are in Denver or Dallas that get them that per capita #

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
I would want to see what % of the population in Philly are taxpayers vs other cities.

Since most other cities don't have a wage tax I assume their revenue comes from higher property taxes? Sales Taxes?

Would be curious to see what taxes there are in Denver or Dallas that get them that per capita #
I think that there is certainly an argument to be made that Philly has taxes if those cities with higher per capita numbers have lower wage and income taxes, considering that those hurt people at the lower end of the income spectrum more than it hurts those making six figures.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGrunt215 View Post
Ionos has officially started operations in 2 Logan Square & I just installed their vending machines!!! 45 employees currently hoping to jump that number up to 70
I love this.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I think that there is certainly an argument to be made that Philly has taxes if those cities with higher per capita numbers have lower wage and income taxes, considering that those hurt people at the lower end of the income spectrum more than it hurts those making six figures.
Denver does not have any noticeable wage/income taxes. Sales tax is comparable. There's something called OPT which is $9 per month per employee. Employee pays $5 and employer pays $4 per month. Which is basically nothing.

Their property taxes however are a ridiculous 7.15% of actual value compared to Philly's 1.4. Five times higher. EDIT: I messed this up their tax rate is more complicated but it's effectively about half of ours:

Average Denver house - $430,000 x 0.0715(assessed rate) x 0.072116(millage rate) = $2,217.21

Dallas however has no local income tax and property tax rate is about double ours at 2.7%. Similar sales tax

Last edited by nemesisinphilly; Apr 23, 2022 at 6:24 PM. Reason: Incorrect #s

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Denver does not have any noticeable wage/income taxes. Sales tax is comparable. There's something called OPT which is $9 per month per employee. Employee pays $5 and employer pays $4 per month. Which is basically nothing.

Their property taxes however are a ridiculous 7.15% of actual value compared to Philly's 1.4. Five times higher. EDIT: I messed this up their tax rate is more complicated but it's effectively about half of ours:

Average Denver house - $430,000 x 0.0715(assessed rate) x 0.072116(millage rate) = $2,217.21

Dallas however has no local income tax and property tax rate is about double ours at 2.7%. Similar sales tax
The property taxes in Texas are very high. Like notoriously high approaching NJ levels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations