HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 9:52 PM

I find the most interesting aspect of this story is that Niki Anderson only assumed the position of City Manager on November 1st. What sort of impact did the councilors think she had on the City Budget in the 3 weeks since she started on the job?

While I 've never been a City Councilor or City Manager, I would hope that this 190 page document: https://www.regina.ca/export/sites/R...k-Proposed.pdf took a little more than 3 weeks to prepare.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This is like a board member suing his own CEO. So bizarre.
Except it's not. There's also someone else signed onto the lawsuit. Why do you care so much about this looks? How do you not get absolutely angry about the issue of homelessness, drug addiction, and suffering that continues to go unaddressed? How do you not see something very fishy going on at City Hall, considering the mayor has outright lied about the circumstances behind the Taylor Field site for affordable housing and now the new aquatic centre changing from going beside the Lawson to the railyard, as well as the new spray pad meant for North Central now going to Glen Elm? I would suggest you keep up with the conversation that some local heroes are covering on twitter.

https://twitter.com/AlexanderQuon/st...03851247992836

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 24, 2022 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 10:56 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Except it's not. There's also someone else signed onto the lawsuit. Why do you care so much about this looks? How do you not get absolutely angry about the issue of homelessness, drug addiction, and suffering that continues to go unaddressed? How do you not see something very fishy going on at City Hall, considering the mayor has outright lied about the circumstances behind the Taylor Field site for affordable housing and now the new aquatic centre changing from going beside the Lawson to the railyard, as well as the new spray pad meant for North Central now going to Glen Elm? I would suggest you keep up with the conversation that some local heroes are covering on twitter.

https://twitter.com/AlexanderQuon/st...03851247992836
Our justice system has more important things to do than deal with publicity stunts that have no legal basis. As well, City lawyers and admin will have to waste countless hours dealing with this instead of the important business of the City. It's actually worse than the board suing its CEO example as one of the councilors is also the lawyer. That will not go over well with the judge.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Our justice system has more important things to do than deal with publicity stunts that have no legal basis. As well, City lawyers and admin will have to waste countless hours dealing with this instead of the important business of the City. It's actually worse than the board suing its CEO example as one of the councilors is also the lawyer. That will not go over well with the judge.
I don't know, I would think getting people off the streets would be pretty important.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I would think getting people off the streets would be pretty important.
I was referring to the legal stunt not the homeless issue.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Well said. There are multiple mechanisms that they could have chosen to take, including getting the support of other councillors. Clearly they couldn't so they decided to waste valuable city resources and time and take away from actually finding a solution.

I'm curious since when a lawyer knows the numbers so well too? The numbers the City has provided are well in line.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I find the most interesting aspect of this story is that Niki Anderson only assumed the position of City Manager on November 1st. What sort of impact did the councilors think she had on the City Budget in the 3 weeks since she started on the job?

While I 've never been a City Councilor or City Manager, I would hope that this 190 page document: https://www.regina.ca/export/sites/R...k-Proposed.pdf took a little more than 3 weeks to prepare.
Because a couple egotistical educated white men on a crusade decided to try and make an example of her and looped in the "hero" to make it not seem like the sexist, political, bullying charade it really is because they couldn't get the support of other councilors to go through proper channels.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 1:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Because a couple egotistical educated white men on a crusade decided to try and make an example of her and looped in the "hero" to make it not seem like the sexist, political, bullying charade it really is because they couldn't get the support of other councilors to go through proper channels.
Lol imagine thinking fighting for people who will never personally benefit you as being “egotistical” or that a lawsuit that is jointly brought forward by a woman is sexist. Come on man, you can’t be serious. When you look up “manufactured outrage” on Wikipedia, your post should be the example given.

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 26, 2022 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:45 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the legal stunt not the homeless issue.
Exactly!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Stunt or not, I fully support any action that puts the issue of homelessness on the forefront. People on the right won’t stop at anything to pursue their interests, gaining wins along the way. The left is finally learning how politics must be played to make wins for vulnerable people.

Oh, and do you know what else costs taxpayers? Ignoring poverty and homelessness, which is has tremendous cost on the healthcare and justice systems, as well as lost productivity in the economy.

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 28, 2022 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 12:25 AM

The city police have had an increase in their budget every year since at least 2011. It's never enough. Some of that money could be spent dealing with homeless and there should be some wins for the police and hospitals/healthcare by dealing with the root problems and not just the outcomes of those problems.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The city police have had an increase in their budget every year since at least 2011. It's never enough. Some of that money could be spent dealing with homeless and there should be some wins for the police and hospitals/healthcare by dealing with the root problems and not just the outcomes of those problems.
Policing costs everywhere have skyrocketed. There definitely needs to be an examination of value for money. The problem is, many of the alternative programs also end up bloated and wasteful. Addictions I think is the best place to start, but I fear the Government will mess this up too.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Policing costs everywhere have skyrocketed. There definitely needs to be an examination of value for money. The problem is, many of the alternative programs also end up bloated and wasteful. Addictions I think is the best place to start, but I fear the Government will mess this up too.
That's why you let people who are experts in that field run those programs. You don't stop trying to make people's lives better because other services are bloated. That is a bullshit talking point coming from conservative politicians who are in charge of the same "bloated" or underfunded, and ineffective public services that they blame on government ineffectiveness and inefficiency, when they are the government. This is all by design and does not have to be this way.

It is ridiculous that the wages of most of the police are hovering around six figures and higher, while most teachers and social workers, and some healthcare providers, you know the people who actually make a difference, make 50-75% of that. We should be making investments in keeping people out of the poverty to crime pipeline, which is less expensive than reacting to it as the police can only do. To start, the proposed increase to the police budget in the upcoming two-year municipal budget should be directed to the plan to end homelessness (or to go to functional-zero homelessness). There is no need to build a brand new unit for each person who is homeless as city admin previously costed. There is plenty of empty public housing units that could be utilized. The cost of the wrap around services to support these people plus the cost of these units would cost a lost less than what untreated poverty costs taxpayers in the form of healthcare, policing, justice, and lost economic productivity. The only things stalling this is the desire for private interests to profit from poverty ("affordable housing", cheap labour costs due to the threat of homelessness and the desperation that idea creates, etc), and the growing power of a police force that serves those private interests above anything else (think about how quickly the police respond to shoplifting at a big box store vs investigating sexual assault cases).

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 29, 2022 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 2:11 PM

Quote:
That's why you let people who are experts in that field run those programs. You don't stop trying to make people's lives better because other services are bloated. That is a bullshit talking point coming from conservative politicians who are in charge of the same "bloated" or underfunded, and ineffective public services that they blame on government ineffectiveness and inefficiency, when they are the government. This is all by design and does not have to be this way.

It is ridiculous that the wages of most of the police are hovering around six figures and higher, while most teachers and social workers, and some healthcare providers, you know the people who actually make a difference, make 50-75% of that. We should be making investments in keeping people out of the poverty to crime pipeline, which is less expensive than reacting to it as the police can only do. To start, the proposed increase to the police budget in the upcoming two-year municipal budget should be directed to the plan to end homelessness (or to go to functional-zero homelessness). There is no need to build a brand new unit for each person who is homeless as city admin previously costed. There is plenty of empty public housing units that could be utilized. The cost of the wrap around services to support these people plus the cost of these units would cost a lost less than what untreated poverty costs taxpayers in the form of healthcare, policing, justice, and lost economic productivity. The only things stalling this is the desire for private interests to profit from poverty ("affordable housing", cheap labour costs due to the threat of homelessness and the desperation that idea creates, etc), and the growing power of a police force that serves those private interests above anything else (think about how quickly the police respond to shoplifting at a big box store vs investigating sexual assault cases).
It almost seems intentional that they costed for brand new units. It's how to say we're not interested in doing this without saying it. Society is increasingly losing it's sense of any kind of community and responsibility to take care of each other. I'm very curious to see where this goes.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It almost seems intentional that they costed for brand new units. It's how to say we're not interested in doing this without saying it.
That's exactly what I was thinking. It was designed to fail.

Quote:
Society is increasingly losing it's sense of any kind of community and responsibility to take care of each other. I'm very curious to see where this goes.
As Margaret Thatcher said, "there is no such thing as society". This was more of a wish, than an observation, and it's certainly becoming true. Is it any wonder that everything is falling apart from increased mental illness and addiction, feelings of loneliness and isolation, division and hate in our communities and families, etc. This all was a design to get people to rely on private interests, instead of their communities or a democratic government representing the community. Despair and poverty is super profitable. Desperate people are willing to do anything from accepting poverty-level wages to scrolling endlessly on their phones to buying things, all in an attempt to make up for that loss of community. But humans are hardwired to be social creatures, and this is not going to work in the long run without complete control every aspect of our life and quelling any ability to resist, which is being attempted. Even China is even showing cracks with their zero-Covid policy, however.

Last edited by djforsberg; Dec 1, 2022 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Hi Sandra.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Hi Sandra.

I was actually wondering where you have been...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:

I was actually wondering where you have been...
Hi Dan & Andrew

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Dan & Andrew
I am flattered you would put me in such good company.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan