HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 8:30 PM

From @PaulDechene
Coming up at Exec Comm this week, more fallout from the Catalyst process: The city had a grant to build an accessible park & spray pad at the Sportsplex. By throwing the aquatic centre plan into disarray, that project has to be moved if we want to keep those funds.

https://twitter.com/PaulDechene/stat...78183991312385

Spray Pad is moving from Lawson/North Central to Glencairn. Win for Glencairn, but again, North Central gets the short end on things.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 9:57 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post

Langenegger is literally the best interviewer in our province but of course you would think she’s unprofessional. You clearly missed the point. The citizens of Regina and many groups were being led to believe that the costly Mosaic Stadium and RRI project was going to result in affordable housing. Any promise of that was then scrubbed from the website. Why should anyone trust that the Catalyst project would result in affordable housing when the aforementioned project failed to do so? Also why is there suddenly plans for a portion of the project to now go on the old Taylor Field side where affordable housing was previously promised? We are being played for fools…
Yes Langenegger is the best interviewer and the Mayor was very defensive. Myself and many have voter regret with the Mayor. In my opinion, this Mayor is in it only for her personal benefits down the road.

Last edited by McBean; Nov 14, 2022 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBean View Post
Yes Langenegger is the best interviewer and the Mayor was very defensive. I and many have voter regret with Masters. She is as filthy as the best of them. She is dating or seeing a former Regina Pats owner who was in the media for one of the filthiest land deals in Saskatchewan history. Geoff Leo CBC has covered that story extensively. In my opinion, this mayor is in it only for her personal benefits down the road.
Hey how about that, we agree!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 11:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
From @PaulDechene
Coming up at Exec Comm this week, more fallout from the Catalyst process: The city had a grant to build an accessible park & spray pad at the Sportsplex. By throwing the aquatic centre plan into disarray, that project has to be moved if we want to keep those funds.

https://twitter.com/PaulDechene/stat...78183991312385

Spray Pad is moving from Lawson/North Central to Glencairn. Win for Glencairn, but again, North Central gets the short end on things.
Brutal.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 7:38 PM

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...r-resurrection
Regina Revitalization Initiative: Dead in the water or set for resurrection?
"It's just too big for any one person to take on," a developer says of the former Taylor Field site. , the city has no vision , it’s best they leave this land as a Tumbleweed museum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...r-resurrection
Regina Revitalization Initiative: Dead in the water or set for resurrection?
"It's just too big for any one person to take on," a developer says of the former Taylor Field site. , the city has no vision , it’s best they leave this land as a Tumbleweed museum
Now THIS is an actual FACTUAL reporting that brings out the various points across the board including the ACTUAL reality of what has been done in the past, not what peoples past memories or perceptions are, what actually past councils have done.

Now that its out there it'll be interesting to see what happens.

How is it "too big for one developer" Taylor Field is small than the Acre 21 Development in the South. 21 acres...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 12:27 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Now THIS is an actual FACTUAL reporting that brings out the various points across the board including the ACTUAL reality of what has been done in the past, not what peoples past memories or perceptions are, what actually past councils have done.

Now that its out there it'll be interesting to see what happens.

How is it "too big for one developer" Taylor Field is small than the Acre 21 Development in the South. 21 acres...
It's an entirely different type of development. We don't have any developers in Regina, or Saskatchewan as a whole, who do this type of development (infill) at this scale. It's riskier, with more uncertainty, and requires a significant amount of capital and expertise - which does not exist in the development industry in Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
It's an entirely different type of development. We don't have any developers in Regina, or Saskatchewan as a whole, who do this type of development (infill) at this scale. It's riskier, with more uncertainty, and requires a significant amount of capital and expertise - which does not exist in the development industry in Saskatchewan.
While I agree there is no one in Sask that could undertake it I'm not sure why a Modular Home Builder is weighing in and providing a "developers" opinion.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:16 PM

Yeah, that's not suspicious at all. They talk to a developer from Saskatoon whose first Regina project was in Rosewood (Plainsview townhomes) and the only other one in the city on their website is the new Silver Sage transitional one at 120 Broad St. Were none of the Regina ones willing to speak on the record?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's not suspicious at all. They talk to a developer from Saskatoon whose first Regina project was in Rosewood (Plainsview townhomes) and the only other one in the city on their website is the new Silver Sage transitional one at 120 Broad St. Were none of the Regina ones willing to speak on the record?
Big Block isn't a Developer either...They are a Construction Firm that gets hired by specific non-profits or Developers to build their projects and act as a Development Manager.

However to the point earlier, there is no Developer that specializes in Urban In-Fill on much scale, let alone this scale. But thats how the narrative should have been.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Forgetting the fact that all levels of government have funded and provided public housing for decades (ie Regina Housing Corporation and Saskatchewan Housing Corporation), I really don't understand why you think the only way forward is by repeating things that haven't been working so far. Instead of passive aggressively taking shots, how about you answer my questions? I'll repeat them: 1) What is your idea of affordable housing? (ie what kind of housing, how much should they cost in relative or absolute numbers, etc); 2) What should our goal as a society be when it comes to housing (what kind of metrics should we use to measure success)?; and 3) explain how and why private interests would be better at achieving those goals vs the public doing it? (Again, keeping in mind that the status quo is clearly not working considering rising homelessness, declining home-ownership among younger generations, increasing housing costs relative to income, etc) You imply you have expertise in these areas, so I assume these should be easy questions for you to answer.

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 15, 2022 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Forgetting the fact that all levels of government have funded and owned public housing for decades, I really don't understand why you think the only way forward is by repeating things that haven't been working so far. Instead of passive aggressively taking shots, how about you answer my questions? I'll repeat them: 1) What is your idea of affordable housing? (ie what kind of housing, how much should they cost in relative or absolute numbers, etc); 2) What should our goal as a society be when it comes to housing (what kind of metrics should we use to measure success)?; and 3) explain how and why private interests would be better at achieving those goals vs the public doing it? (Again, keeping in mind that the status quo is clearly not working) You imply you have expertise in these areas, so I assume these should be easy questions for you to answer.
- you haven't asked one question. You've just repeated how the Private Sector can't build affordable housing and should have no involvement and it should all be public built and owned housing. You wonder why Saskatchewan has delivered less than 100 truly affordable units in the last calendar month? Because the Non-Profits and the Government Can't. I am not advocating to repeat what has been previously done, because the one thing we can agree on, it clearly doesn't work. We either get NO housing or POORLY Managed Housing, or limited housing to a specific demographic of the population.

Government Owned Housing? Regina Housing Authority. What's the vacancy Rate there?

I don't really think my comment was passive aggressive. It was pretty direct. An article that spelled out what the previous two Mayors had said/done from a Council Vote standpoint. Its pretty hard to hammer the current Mayor on promises of previous Mayors and Council to push forward pet projects...or push through nothing...

Housing is a Human Right. It should be provided for All. Full Stop.

Status Quo...is Non-Profits building a few units here and a few units there as the operational capacities of the specific organizations can handle it. The Feds provided RHI funding and I believe Silver Sage project which has yet to breakdown is the only Regina Project to get it.

Building Ghettos of nothing but Affordable Housing, Social Housing do nothing to help the segment of the population. If you amass it all in one place, one development you create a massive Ghetto that exacerbates the social, addiction, mental health challenges.

We need to stop sending our tax dollars overseas and focus more on our at home problems to resolve. There are Developers in Vancouver that are partnering with Non-Profit Social Housing providers to build a mixture of Market, Affordable and Social Housing while also providing the supports that are needed for addictions, mental health, PTSD, Victims of Abuse etc etc etc. That is what we should be building.

Why the Private Sector? Because even with the Private Sector making a REASONABLE profit the private sector still builds housing more cost effectively, efficiently, and quicker than public sector housing projects. Why? Because the profit is tied to it being built. Housing can have a standard of quality set that negates the ability for the private sector to cut corners, which is an unfortunate reality of some builders and developers in this sector.

Regina specifically has a proven track record that Publicly Owned Housing doesn't work with the specific example of the Regina Housing Authority and its vacancy rate and condition of the building.

Social Housing/Private Sector Mixed Housing is becoming completed around North America with far more success than a RHA model.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Moved to the Housing thread...

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 15, 2022 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 7:41 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Big Block isn't a Developer either...They are a Construction Firm that gets hired by specific non-profits or Developers to build their projects and act as a Development Manager.

However to the point earlier, there is no Developer that specializes in Urban In-Fill on much scale, let alone this scale. But thats how the narrative should have been.
Yup. That's fair.

My experience is that most people, outside of the industry itself, don't generally recognize that there is nuance in the industry and different developers do different things (infill, Greenfield, homebuilder, land-developer, heritage preservation, commercial - of which there is further specialization, and so on...) as well as there are different types of developers with different motivations i.e., for-profit, not for profit, municipal development agency etc....

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 6:12 PM

Survey results are posted.

The per cent of respondents who said each project was "not at all a priority":
Aquatic facility: 27.5 per cent
Brandt Centre replacement: 41.6 per cent
Central library modernization: 26.7 per cent
Soccer field: 40.1 per cent
Baseball event centre: 51 per cent #YQRCC

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 6:14 PM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Survey results are posted.

The per cent of respondents who said each project was "not at all a priority":
Aquatic facility: 27.5 per cent
Brandt Centre replacement: 41.6 per cent
Central library modernization: 26.7 per cent
Soccer field: 40.1 per cent
Baseball event centre: 51 per cent #YQRCC
I agree with those rankings.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:55 PM

I don't understand the baseball result unless we get a minor league team.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 9:17 PM

I'd say interesting results...except the responses represent less than 2% of the population of the City.

Not exactly a resounding response and/or engagement from the community and/or the ability to say yes or no. The response I correlate to that is the community is indifferent to the overall projects being proposed.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 1:56 AM

Quote:
I'd say interesting results...except the responses represent less than 2% of the population of the City.

Not exactly a resounding response and/or engagement from the community and/or the ability to say yes or no. The response I correlate to that is the community is indifferent to the overall projects being proposed.
Don't you think it was intentional to limit engagement? They want to push these things through and there are a lot of things in this that have been done in specific ways to limit that. This was all just a formality. They are going to do what they want anyway. I think this has all been decided already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan