HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^That's the thing. Everyone mistakenly keeps framing this as a homelessness problem. It's not. It's a mental health and drug problem. The reason these people live like this is they unable to take care of a place of their own even if you gave them one.
I'm sure this is part of it (possibly a big part of it), but from what i understand some homelessness is due to income and affordability issues, as well as people escaping domestic violence.

I don't think complicated social problems get solved by simply declaring "the problem is x", and then either approaching the problem from just that one direction or, more likely, throwing up one's hands and declaring it will never be fixed.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I'm sure this is part of it (possibly a big part of it), but from what i understand some homelessness is due to income and affordability issues, as well as people escaping domestic violence.
Yes that is part of the problem but those people are clearly not what we're talking about or what we saw in the video about Edmonton I posted.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 4:26 PM

Wouldn't a simple and cost effective solution be to not have enclosed places that are not staffed in the first place. Transit has already removed the glass at a lot of stops along Main st because there is no point in replacing something that will be broken or occupied the following day. Furthermore if the people who are actually using transit are unable to use transit facilities why bother having them?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 4:29 PM

Open shelters, Ie: just a roof, will cover people from rain in the summer.

If people are living in the enclosed shelters and there is zero will for a concerted effort to stop that, just stop having enclosed shelters.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
This video is about the Edmonton LRT system but it makes me wonder, would the same thing happen here if the city was to build an LRT sytem? Would it even be worth building an LRT system? There is already problems with buses and bus shelters. Increasing security or police presence is a bad word around here even though we desperately need more. You can see some of the city councilors in this video hesitant to implement simple security solutions as to not offend certain people. I have no doubt the same thing would happen here. SMH

This is so sad. Tax payers and their families shouldn't have to put up with this mess.

Video Link
That is pretty shocking, I used ETS and especially the LRT as my main mode of transportation when I was a student in Edmonton in the early/mid 00s and it was clean, pleasant and functional. I certainly never saw the kind of stuff that news clip showed.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

I don't think complicated social problems get solved by simply declaring "the problem is x", and then either approaching the problem from just that one direction or, more likely, throwing up one's hands and declaring it will never be fixed.
Admittedly there are other issues involved but none of this was going on until cheap meth entered this city in I believe 2019. Of course it followed, or coincided with, the legalization of marijuana. I'm sure that fact hasn't been missed by some people anyways.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 3:26 PM

Heard something on the radio this morning about transit workers asking for more security on buses and at bus stops. I have been hearing about this for years!! And no action has been taken.

I found these recent articles.
Quote:
‘CRISIS’: Winnipeg Transit union demands action following slew of violent incidents

The union representing Winnipeg Transit workers is pleading with all levels of government to take action on what it deems a public safety crisis on city buses.
https://winnipegsun.com/news/local-n...w-of-incidents

Quote:
Winnipeg police looking for man after sexual assault at bus shelter on Southwest Transitway

WARNING: This article contains details of a sexual
assault.

Police are looking for a man after a sexual assault at a bus shelter on the Southwest Transitway early Saturday.

Around midnight, police responded to a report of a woman who had been sexually assaulted in the shelter, near Chancellor Drive and Pembina Highway, police said in a news releas
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tway-1.6642095

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 3:30 PM

Starting to sound more and more like the NYC subways in the 70s...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 11:29 PM

From earlier today.

Quote:

Winnipeg transit union pleads for help on 'safety crisis,' premier points to recent announcements

Transit drivers in Winnipeg are facing a record number of attacks this year, says their union, which is begging governments to deal with "a public safety crisis" that is now affecting riders.

Nearly 110 assaults on operators have been tracked this year, with two months still to go, said Romeo Ignacio, president of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1505.

There were just over 90 assaults in each of the previous two years.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-Miyk2iLAtKxQM

In this article the premier talks about the root causes of violence. Yes that's great but those issues need long term solutions. People getting assualted on buses and putting up with this BS need solutions right now. Bus drivers have been asking for security on buses for yeeaaaaars now. I hope Gillingham does something about it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 12:37 PM

How Winnipeg’s transit ridership has changed in recent years

Quote:
The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on Transit ridership in Winnipeg, but the city says it believes riders are starting to return to the bus.

According to data provided by the City of Winnipeg, 2019 saw total transit ridership of 48,770,208. One year later, after COVID-19 restrictions and stay-at-home orders came into effect in March, ridership for the year dropped to 24,788,979.

Ridership numbers continued to drop to a total of 21,465,663 in 2021.

The drop in ridership has had an impact on city finances. According to a report presented to council in September, the city is forecasting a deficit of $14.7 million for transit for 2022.
According to the city’s most recent available numbers, ridership up until the end of July was 16,841,728, and a spokesperson is encouraged by the numbers.

“While we do not have total ridership data compiled for fall yet, available indicators suggest ridership continues a slow and steady climb,” the spokesperson said. “Since the beginning of September, average weekday boardings have hovered between 77 and 87 per cent of what they were in comparable weeks in 2019.”

Coun. Janice Lukes, who represents the Waverly West ward, says the city’s transit service is critical.

“We've seen a real increase in transit use after the pandemic, which is great, because we weren't for a long time,” she said. “Now that the universities are open, buses are packed again. The new mayor has committed to putting the actual frequency of buses back to what it was pre-pandemic, which is fantastic.”

An issue that has been brought up in recent weeks is safety on transit, something the Winnipeg city council is looking to tackle.

Mayor Scott Gillingham rode Winnipeg Transit on Wednesday, and says he will ride it to get a firsthand look at the issues.

“I think it's important that I ride transit from time to time, we want transit to be a safe option for people and people have confidence that when they get on the bus, they can have confidence in the transportation system,” he said.

Gillingham said Wednesday he has brought up the idea with the province of adding peace officers to buses and bus stops to help improve safety.
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/how-winn...ears-1.6146400

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 12:42 PM

However...

Assaults, safety concerns lead to bus driver shortage, says Winnipeg transit union

Quote:
Winnipeg has a severe shortage of bus drivers due to safety concerns, according to the city’s Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU).

“We’ve lost a lot of people through early retirements because they can’t take on the risk anymore,” said union head Romeo Ignacio.

Ignacio says Winnipeg has lost a total of 150 drivers and the recent transit assaults are a contributing factor.

“We lost a lot of people from resignations, especially the newer ones. You know, when they start driving after their training, they see all this, they hear all this. And, you know, a lot of them say ‘this is not what we signed up for.'”

The assaults on transit drivers have gone up over the years with this year being the highest. In 2020 there were 90, in 2021, 92 and so far this year there have been 107.

However, those numbers do not include assaults made in bus shelters, only ones that took place on the bus.

Ignacio says he plans to meet with the mayor and councillor Janice Lukes, as well as premier Heather Stefanson, to address the driver shortage and safety issues.

“We need people patrolling our transit ways. All those areas we spoke to transit about, you know, monitoring the areas that are commonly the scene of crime and violent assaults. And we’re waiting and nothing’s been done.”

This is not the first time the transit safety issues have been brought to light by the union.

After an attack on a driver back in July which forced him to flee through a bus window, the union renewed calls for new security shields on city buses.

A union spokesperson said they’ve been asking the city to install new, extended shields since 2020 because the current design “has proven to be ineffective against preventing someone from reaching into the driver’s compartment.”

A city spokesperson said three models of shields were tested between 2009 and 2012 before an ATU survey found most drivers disliked the barriers for reasons that included reduced air flow, increased glare and restricted ability to interact with customers.

Another two shields were tested with 700 drivers in a 2017 pilot project, and the spokesperson said the current barrier was chosen out of that test.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9265244/s...iver-shortage/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 4:42 PM

I would assume a clause is built into this lease to terminate should the Winnipeg transit master plan proceed with the elevated line.

Quote:
Winnipeg Railway Museum makes deal to secure future at Union Station — for now

It turns out it’s not the end of the line for the Winnipeg Railway Museum after all — but it may be some time before visitors can peruse its railroading relics again.

Posted: Nov 09, 2022 6:40 PM CT | Last Updated: November 9

It turns out it's not the end of the line for the Winnipeg Railway Museum after all — but it may be some time before visitors can peruse its railroading relics again.

After learning it would have to close its doors at Union Station at the end of 2021 because the space needed significant renovations, the museum says it has now struck a deal that will secure the next part of its future.

"I guess relief is a great way to put it," spokesperson Gordon Leathers said of the 25-year lease the non-profit museum recently signed with Via Rail, which runs the Main Street station that has housed the museum for decades.

"That means that we're now stable and we can say to people that we'll be around for a little while yet."

Leathers said the update means the museum can now work on getting itself back in business, starting with applying for grants, "because nobody wants to give you money if they figure you're not going to be there in a couple of years," he told CBC's Up to Speed host Faith Fundal on Tuesday.

Volunteers from the Midwestern Railway Association Inc. and the Winnipeg Model Railway Club run the museum, which is located on the upper platform along historic Track 1 and Track 2 of the station.

A spokesperson for Via Rail confirmed the 25-year lease agreement, "pending certain conditions which remain confidential."

In an email on Wednesday, the spokesperson said the museum plays an important role in preserving Manitoba's rail history and Via is happy to have reached an agreement that keeps it at Union Station.

Leathers said the hope is for the museum to open its doors again in November 2024.

But there's still plenty of work to do before then, including replacing walls, remaking structures, reworking entrances and exits, and setting up a sprinkler system.

As for the price tag, Leathers said the museum hopes to raise somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2 million.

Once that's all done, the museum will work to present itself as "an attraction that's worth having and worth keeping" for Winnipeg, he said.

"One of the problems with amateur museums in the past has been that you make a very nice collection of things that you point at, but you don't really talk about what the significance of it is," he said.

"So this is what we're trying to do, is to rebuild the place and make a proper interpretive plan so that we can present our artifacts in a way that is really a lot more interesting."

Historic streetcar among museum's artifacts

In addition to several locomotives, such as the Countess of Dufferin — the first steam locomotive on the Prairies — the museum also has a wooden boxcar, caboose and a sleeper car that served the second wave of immigrants to the west, as well as a refrigerator car and other artifacts.

Its displays tell the history of the CN and CP rail lines, as well as City of Winnipeg rail. They also detail the construction of the Hudson Bay Railway, the struggle of women entering the railroad industry and how steam gave way to diesel power.

There is also a large scale model railroad and a gift shop.

As well, the museum is home to Streetcar 356, believed to be the last remaining wooden streetcar used in Winnipeg. Built in 1909 and one of the last streetcars to be retired in 1955, No. 356 has been under renovation for years, with plans to put it on display for the public.

While the immediate repairs to the museum space are front of mind, Leathers said volunteers are also thinking about the more distant future.

That includes the implications of the Winnipeg Transit master plan, which details an agreement that will allow the city to make use of the tracks that currently house the railway museum.

That means the museum will also have to start developing relationships with other potential homes in Winnipeg, Leathers said, in case the day comes that Winnipeg Transit pushes it out of Union Station.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ium%3Dsharebar

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:42 PM

^ Good news. I have a soft spot for that museum. But they do recognize the facility's shortcomings in that it is a collection of artifacts with very little coherent storytelling that would be of interest to someone who isn't into trains. I'm sure the instability of their location has something to do with that, though... it's hard to solicit donations and take the place to the next level when you don't know where you'll be in 5 years.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Spitting, yelling, throwing syringes: Two people arrested after Winnipeg Transit assaults
https://globalnews.ca/news/9305204/t...n-garden-city/

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Really feel sorry for those with no choice but to take Winnipeg Transit!

Nothing to see here say clueless city clowncil and city administrators all of who haven’t ridden a bus in decades!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Really feel sorry for those with no choice but to take Winnipeg Transit
My sister goes to UofM, health sciences campus. She unfortunately has had some bad experiences taking the bus around there. I try to pick her up when i can. I don't like her taking the bus around there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

Nothing to see here say clueless city clowncil and city administrators all of who haven’t ridden a bus in decades!
Before Winnipeg ever invests any money on improving RT we need to clean up the mess we're in now. Would be a shame to invest in new buses and a new system only to see it become a haven for drug addicts and low lives. I know I will get bashed for saying that but it is what it is. Look at the deplorable state of bus shelters now. Just look at all the news that has come out about this recently. SMH

Last edited by Luisito; Nov 26, 2022 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
My sister goues to UofM, health sciences campus. She unfortunately has had some bad experiences taking the bus around there. I try to pick her up when i can. I don't like her taking the bus around there anymore.

Before Winnipeg ever invests any money on improving RT we need to clean up the mess we're in now. Would be a shame to invest in new buses and a new system only to see it become a haven for drug addicts and low lives. I know I will get bashed for saying that but it is what it is. Look at the deplorable state of bus shelters now. Just look at all the news that has come out about this recently. SMH
Something better change quickly.
Transit has many open positions.
Many people will walk & freeze themselves when/where possible to avoid Public Transit here.The brazen acts of violence & threats.
Between the frightening state of the bus shelters (many furnished with thrown away sofas, clothes, personal belongings) and some riders being unruly, cursing, acting like savages who wants to tolerate that? You are going to and or from work, dressed up?
Seniors are especially afraid.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 8:21 PM

It’s a truly sad state of affairs. I’m privileged enough to be in the Southwest side of the city where transit service is decent, and the prevailing social issues seen in the inner city are nonexistent for the majority of my commutes. However, most people don’t get that luxury so it’s time to start policing transit. It’s gotten to a ridiculous point.

What’s even worse is that despite all of these shortcomings Winnipeg still somehow chugs along and has the highest transit ridership for any metro area under 1 million in North America. Imagine what those ridership figures would be if the city actually gave a damn about transit safety.

I mean seriously (just to go on a bit of a tangent) the fact that all our main arterials terminate in Downtown and have decent population density without any freeways interrupting the network, we really should have had rapid transit lines running on Portage, Main, St. Mary’s and Regent before the 21st century. Hell we should really have regional rail transit at this stage but that’s another conversation.

The city clearly sees the residents require transit, but yet still treat it as a second class service is mind boggling. At least our current mayor occasionally rides transit so maybe there is some hope albeit fleeting.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It’s a truly sad state of affairs. I’m privileged enough to be in the Southwest side of the city where transit service is decent, and the prevailing social issues seen in the inner city are nonexistent for the majority of my commutes. However, most people don’t get that luxury so it’s time to start policing transit. It’s gotten to a ridiculous point.

What’s even worse is that despite all of these shortcomings Winnipeg still somehow chugs along and has the highest transit ridership for any metro area under 1 million in North America. Imagine what those ridership figures would be if the city actually gave a damn about transit safety.

I mean seriously (just to go on a bit of a tangent) the fact that all our main arterials terminate in Downtown and have decent population density without any freeways interrupting the network, we really should have had rapid transit lines running on Portage, Main, St. Mary’s and Regent before the 21st century. Hell we should really have regional rail transit at this stage but that’s another conversation.

The city clearly sees the residents require transit, but yet still treat it as a second class service is mind boggling. At least our current mayor occasionally rides transit so maybe there is some hope albeit fleeting.
Someone - possibly you, BBG - mentioned that Transit executives don't actually take transit to work. Council members occasionally make an effort to use it, but the very fact they're bragging about it means that these are the exceptions that prove the car-centric rule. There are so many little annoyances that would be solved by the higher-ups dogfooding transit regularly. Those awful QR code transit timetables leap to mind.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Something better change quickly.
Transit has many open positions.
Many people will walk & freeze themselves when/where possible to avoid Public Transit here.
LOL, There have certainly been -20, -30 days where I have chosen to wait outside the shelters. When the smell was so unbearable to even just stay inside. Never mind the people sleeping in there.

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

That is a positive thing, you're right about that.

Quote:
I agree. Going back to your previous commet, some people say WInnipeg is not big enough to have Rail RT. I think If we had a modern rail system I think we could even increase ridership on public transit and surpass cities that currently do have rail RT. Specially some cities south of the border.

We have New Flyer buses headquarters here in Winnipeg. We should at least have one of the most modern bus fleets in north america. We should be the model city for bus transit. Putting aside the safety concerns, our buses are rather lackluster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan