HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 7:33 PM

And this pour doesn't even cover half the actual building site, and is basically on top of the 2000 cu.yds. that were poured a month ago! When I stopped by a week ago or so, the matt of interwoven rebar looked maybe 8' thick, very impressive. Does anyone have a simple explanation of why such a thick slab is needed? I realize the idea is to spread the weight, the load factor, of the building over a wide area, but if what they were pouring over was bedrock, isn't the bedrock stable enough in itself to support the load of the building?
The eastern end of the site looks like they are nearing the bottom of the pit (but I've said that before!) Penn sure is a big believer in spending big bucks on places to park cars!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 10:41 PM

As of this past Monday, they were still digging into rock in the back half of the site.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
And this pour doesn't even cover half the actual building site, and is basically on top of the 2000 cu.yds. that were poured a month ago! When I stopped by a week ago or so, the matt of interwoven rebar looked maybe 8' thick, very impressive. Does anyone have a simple explanation of why such a thick slab is needed? I realize the idea is to spread the weight, the load factor, of the building over a wide area, but if what they were pouring over was bedrock, isn't the bedrock stable enough in itself to support the load of the building?
The eastern end of the site looks like they are nearing the bottom of the pit (but I've said that before!) Penn sure is a big believer in spending big bucks on places to park cars!
Even rock has a "spring stiffness" like a posturpedic mattress. The mat or raft foundation is proportioned to distribute the column loads across large areas of the rock with limits of bearing pressure and settlement considered. The first pour was the lower mat for the core columns, the most recent was for the main footprint of the building. There is one more small mat pour up top, then a big pour down deep for the second core area within the parking portion. The tower is above both parts. The rest of the foundation in the south/deep part will look like any other building--square-ish pads, but there are large grade beams at the perimeter. Reinforcing and forms for those will start very soon .

Going deep is a calculated plan, as the high-bearing capacity rock is down there, so removal of lesser rock to get to the good stuff may as well be planned, and then putting parking there makes sense instead of above ground where it is ugly and inefficient for programming blocking and stacking of efficient, user-friendly care spaces.
The excavation is pretty close to being done.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSMADCONC View Post
Even rock has a "spring stiffness" like a posturpedic mattress. The mat or raft foundation is proportioned to distribute the column loads across large areas of the rock with limits of bearing pressure and settlement considered. The first pour was the lower mat for the core columns, the most recent was for the main footprint of the building. There is one more small mat pour up top, then a big pour down deep for the second core area within the parking portion. The tower is above both parts. The rest of the foundation in the south/deep part will look like any other building--square-ish pads, but there are large grade beams at the perimeter. Reinforcing and forms for those will start very soon .

Going deep is a calculated plan, as the high-bearing capacity rock is down there, so removal of lesser rock to get to the good stuff may as well be planned, and then putting parking there makes sense instead of above ground where it is ugly and inefficient for programming blocking and stacking of efficient, user-friendly care spaces.
The excavation is pretty close to being done.

Thanks. Glad to have someone in the know passing on info.
So, at least at this site, the better rock is deeper, so there won't be the need for such a thick mat in the lower foundation because the rock there can handle the loads. On the upper section where the mat was just poured, would another option instead of the matt, have been drilled deep footers?
It sounds like parking might be confined to the eastern part, where there is still some digging taking place. And although I think HUP has a fetish about parking, I imagine they know their needs better then I do, and I'd rather have parking be in a hole instead of in a tower. My problem is more that HUP, Penn and Children's in general don't seem to realize that if for whatever reasons, good bad or indifferent, they keep bringing more and more cars into the area and are committed to providing parking, the actual parking is just part of the issue. General traffic gets to be more of a problem and it already backs up upon the expressway in certain hours. I live in the area and often need to drive and like any old fool I complain that its taking longer and longer to get to and from my home. The whole hospital area has grown and will continue to grow, and I wish the controlling powers would be just as interested in providing non-car options as they are in creating easy to park options.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:13 PM

Anyone got site photos?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:58 PM

Today's progress.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:45 PM

Thank u. looks good. waiting to see the Structural steel to come in place... might be complex looking at the initial architectural renderings.

Wondering why don't they have a webcam on this one...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 4:31 PM
More of that.

4 levels of underground parking? I'm basing this on the truck in the pit. That amount would definitely be needed and utilized here, in this health metropolis. But anything more than 3 levels down scares me. Has anyone ever been to the bottom of the Franklin Institute parking garage? You can feel the unease. Granted it's all in your head.

Does anybody know the furthest down a parking garage goes in Philadelphia?

Is there a limit, law or practicality?

The low hangers I know of: Liberty Place/Westin, Love Park, Franklin Institute. I think Perelman is only two or three levels down.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
4 levels of underground parking? I'm basing this on the truck in the pit. That amount would definitely be needed and utilized here, in this health metropolis. But anything more than 3 levels down scares me. Has anyone ever been to the bottom of the Franklin Institute parking garage? You can feel the unease. Granted it's all in your head.

Does anybody know the furthest down a parking garage goes in Philadelphia?

Is there a limit, law or practicality?

The low hangers I know of: Liberty Place/Westin, Love Park, Franklin Institute. I think Perelman is only two or three levels down.
Not sure what the practical limits are (or what Philly's laws say), but there's one in Hangzhou that goes 12 levels underground. That is (or at least a few years ago was) the deepest in China, maybe the world.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 5:00 PM

7/27/2017

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:06 PM

cant see the building basement work

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:03 PM

Is the second pour done ? Anyone goy any photos?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOLLOW View Post
Is the second pour done ? Anyone goy any photos?
I don't have an answer for your question if your asking about the final pour on the upper section, but when I checked in last Sunday it looked like the grade beams were partially done in the lower/deeper hole and work was taking place on even deeper pits where the shafts for the core will probably go. It looks like the large pour for that lower section is still at least a month or two off.

This is going to be one BIG building. For all who like to count cranes, this site is sure to have more then one. If Penn is in a hurry to get this built I could easily see 3 or 4 being used for the election of the steel.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I don't have an answer for your question if your asking about the final pour on the upper section, but when I checked in last Sunday it looked like the grade beams were partially done in the lower/deeper hole and work was taking place on even deeper pits where the shafts for the core will probably go. It looks like the large pour for that lower section is still at least a month or two off.

This is going to be one BIG building. For all who like to count cranes, this site is sure to have more then one. If Penn is in a hurry to get this built I could easily see 3 or 4 being used for the election of the steel.
Upper section mat foundation is complete. There is precast concrete wall panels erection happening, plus a little cast-in-place wall action on the east side by the Museum. There will be shoring happening for a slab at the very north end, very soon.
South end has a two-pour core mat that is being set up now. That will be two pours of 2000 to 4000 yards. Other foundations are also in progress down there.Look for these pours in the next four weeks.
Two tower cranes-both big--- luffing jib-----one in north (Wolff 700B with 213 ft of stick) and one in the south (Wolff 1250B with 246 ft of stick)
Look for the North crane in the next couple of months.....

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:55 PM

Very surprised to see that there is no construction camera on this job. A job of this magnitude does have a camera for monitoring....

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Very surprised to see that there is no construction camera on this job. A job of this magnitude does have a camera for monitoring....
There are two cameras run through "earthcam Control Center 8" but they are access-restricted......

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 10:51 PM

8/29/2017 - Really hard to get shots of this one right now

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 7:48 PM

Anyone got pics?...no updates from a long time

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone got pics?...no updates from a long time
Just walked by the site today. Not much has changed since the last set of photos. Still digging in the back, still working on the cement foundation in the front.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:39 AM

9/28/2017

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive