HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 12:32 AM

Here's a ship going into the Welland Canal in Port Colborne on Firday, August 5. I don't know these ships and their manifests and all like you guys.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:23 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ given the distance and haze (and the fact the image is from over a week ago), I can't be sure which freighter that is, but it looks like it might be Manitoulin, pictured below:

source: http://www.boatnerd.com/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 12:18 PM

And when I had taken the picture, I was more interested in that butt and those boobs, anyway

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 12:56 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Ocean Voyager docked in Cleveland this past Friday:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ given the distance and haze (and the fact the image is from over a week ago), I can't be sure which freighter that is, but it looks like it might be Manitoulin, pictured below:

source: http://www.boatnerd.com/
That hauls iron ore, or grain?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Ocean Voyager docked in Cleveland this past Friday:

The Terminal Tower reminds me a great deal of the "Stalinist gothic revival" towers of Moscow, especially. Moscow University. Don't get me wrong, I like the Terminal tower. So did Stalin apparently. I read somewhere that it influenced the design of his skyscrapers.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 4:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
That hauls iron ore, or grain?
Either.

Self-unloading great lakes bulk carriers are capable of carrying any number of different dry bulk cargos, the 5 most common of which are taconite (iron ore), coal, limestone, grain, and salt. Some freighters develop VERY regular runs where they move one type of bulk cargo between the same ports for years, or even decades, but many others are more jack of all trades that move more varied cargoes along more varied routes.

Cement is another dry bulk cargo commonly carried by great lakes freighters, but it is moved around on specialized cement-carrier freighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Here's a ship going into the Welland Canal in Port Colborne on Firday, August 5. I don't know these ships and their manifests and all like you guys.

Digging into ship logs a little further, the boat you captured in that shot wasn't Manitoulin, but another very similar looking bow-end self-unloader named Algoma Innovator, who pulled into port colborne on the evening of August 5th coming from Toledo.

Source: https://greatlakesships.wordpress.com/algoma-innovator/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 14, 2022 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 9:53 PM

Nice

I like a place where there's something to look at out on the water. Our place in Port Colborne is like that, with the Welland Canal to the west. It's actually the same with Rehoboth Beach, where you see the ships going out to sea from Delaware Bay. Contrast it to, say, Cape Cod, where it's just fishing boats and pleasure craft.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 2:19 PM

Thought I'd post a couple of photos looking back to when I did the Tri-State Regatta over Labor Day weekend 2009. . . we did the two leg Chicago - St Joseph run and had some great views of the city as we were leaving as well as a bulk hauler(s) ? that we came across on our return trip:

Wondering if this is two different ships. . . the first one looks like it's going north as we're heading west. . . the second one is definitely heading south in our direct path. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ definitely two different freighters.

The first one looks like the Cuyahoga. Built as a straight-decker in 1943 (converted to a self-unloader in '74) and originally named J. Burton Ayers, she's now one of the oldest freighters on the lakes still in active service.

Source: https://greatlakesships.wordpress.com/j-burton-ayers/

The second one is clearly the Wilfred Sykes. Another classic laker built as a straight-decker in 1949 and converted to a self-unloader in '75.

Source: https://greatlakesships.wordpress.com/wilfred-sykes/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 16, 2022 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 11:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Bumping this thread because today's wikipedia "featured article" is of the Edward L. Ryerson, considered by many boatnerds (including myself) as the most elegant and attractive great lakes freighter ever built.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edward_L._Ryerson

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:01 AM

Tall Ships Festival in Erie this past weekend. Pretty cool stuff that you just don't get to experience unless you live on the Lakes or on the Atlantic seaboard with a good port. Was much smaller of an event this year, due to shortened planning time (covid), but a great event nonetheless.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ great pics!

i especially appreciate the incongruity of that old spanish galleon replica sailing around on the great lakes.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 4:59 PM

Looks more like a 16th century caravel similar to the one that Jacques Cartier would've made his voyage up the St. Lawrence on.

It would've been pretty cool of the Lachine Rapids weren't a thing and he had sailed all the way into Lake Ontario, probable would've thought that he had hit another ocean, at least for a few moments.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 5:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Looks more like a 16th century caravel similar to the one that Jacques Cartier would've made his voyage up the St. Lawrence on.
well, i was specifically referencing the spanish flag flying off of the back end of it, hence why i assumed it was a replica spanish galleon.

EDIT:

it is a replica 15th century spanish square-rigged ship, but it is a carrack (like columbus' santa maria), not a galleon (they were larger and came later).

here's the description of the ship from the event website:

Quote:
Trinidad

Homeport: Huelva, Spain

Sparred Length: 95’

Rig Height: 80’

Sail Area: 2,691 square feet

The Trinidad is a replica of a 15th century square sail ship, built to celebrate Huelva’s 525th anniversary. This project embodies the goal of retracing history in an effort to promote the combination of heritage, tourism, and regional culture utilizing a vessel that was once the vehicle of these encounters between worlds centuries ago. Trinidad serves as a traveling ambassador for the province of Huelva to all the Spanish, European, and American ports the ship visits.
source: https://www.tallshipserie.org/vessels

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 31, 2022 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 12:45 AM
devout Pizzatarian

In other cool great lakes shipping news, the first steel was cut today in Marinette, WI for the the first ship in the US Navy's new Constellation Class frigate. This impressive new class of warship is now officially under construction!

At nearly 500' in length and displacing over 7,000 tons, these will be by far the largest warships ever built on the great lakes.

Full class build-out is expected to be 20 ships over the next decade. They will be a most welcome answer for the navy's misguided and mostly failed LCS program (half of which were built at Marinette).

Quote:
Marinette Marine to begin building first Constellation frigate
By Megan Eckstein
Aug 31, 05:00 AM

A rendering of the Constellation-class frigate. (U.S. Navy)

WASHINGTON — A Fincantieri shipyard in Wisconsin will begin constructing its first Constellation-class frigate Wednesday following a small ceremony, U.S. Navy officials announced.

The kickoff of ship construction at Marinette Marine Shipyard follows an April 2020 contract award for the ship program and a subsequent 28 months of design maturation work — turning the Italian company’s design for a European FREMM frigate into a U.S. Navy derivative.
Source: https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...ation-frigate/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 12:58 AM

Very cool. Would love to try and catch one of them heading through the Welland Canal. You'd think they could spring for a better rendering though.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 1:30 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ maybe you'll like this one better:

Source: https://defbrief.com/2021/05/21/us-n...gate-congress/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 2:42 AM

Change of direction now, with a picture from Downtown St. Catharines

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 2:50 AM

Here’s a good article regarding Milwaukee and the cruise ship industry.

It also has some Milwaukee construction costs (that would explain why Chicago and Navy Pier are skeptical about cruise ships at this time.)

Wisconsin prefers the South Shore Dock that will cost $7 million vs. an improved Pier Wisconsin dock that could cost $20-30 million. They’ll earn about 150K revenue this year.

I strongly believe Navy Pier cruise ship improvements would be much more expensive than the Pier Wisconsin estimates, at which point the economics break down until Great Lakes cruising becomes much larger.

Quote:
Port Milwaukee is pursuing a $7.2 million project to build the South Shore Cruise Dock, a new facility capable of receiving the Octantis and other large vessels at the southern end of S. Carferry Dr. But its cost could grow to include dedicated electrical, water and sewer lines as well as improved dredging and baggage handling.

Milwaukee isn’t the only city moving to dominate the cruise business at the west end of the Great Lakes.

“What keeps me up at night is if we don’t build South Shore correctly, Duluth is building a fantastic dock that will include all of these features,” said Tindall-Schlicht at an Aug. 11 Board of Harbor Commissioners meeting. “Chicago coming online at Navy Pier keeps me up. Duluth and their investment in their downtown dock keeps me up.”
Quote:
“The key here is the federal navigation channel,” said Tindall-Schlicht. Pier Wisconsin works for smaller cruise ships, but not Seaway-max vessels. Port staff said it would cost millions more to complete just the necessary dredging to expand the water depth at Pier Wisconsin by more than five feet. Going upriver isn’t an option because the large ships can’t make the necessary turns. “For us to expand Pier Wisconsin would be triple, four times the cost.
Quote:
The port is expected to generate $150,000 in direct revenue from the 33 cruise ship visits in 2022, and the Milwaukee area to gain a $2.25 million regional economic impact, according to port officials. In addition to Viking and Pearl Seas, vessels from American Queen Voyages (the former Victory Cruise Lines), Ponant Explorers and Vantage have visited Milwaukee.
https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2022/09/1...hip-arms-race/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions