HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
There are arbitrary density issues with Urban Form that is making it impossible for projects to reach height maximums or do eg twin towers (never mind the added construction expense for the latter), and this one is no different. Tho it's hard to complain about a 400' project in Phoenix.

Should probably reserve judgement about the building footprint. If they do double loading around the whole thing and have an interior courtyard, that would be an impressive amount of bulk.
Oh I get it and I'm not complaining about the 400' height which is amazing. But I see projects like X Society (2 towers on a block) or The Link (3 towers) on a block and looks awesome. Would've preferred a multi-phased development here to maximize usage

But I'll reserve judgement until renderings are released. Just excited we are able to discuss the potential of another 400'+ tower.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 12:48 AM

I would love to see the rendering for this project. It would fill up a pretty big parcel downtown that I feel will fill complete the existing projects around. I’m very intrigued by this project!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 1:29 AM

Thanks so much for the digging Crested! Will be interesting to see what evolves from this.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 1:48 AM

I wonder what would become of that underground bowling alley.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:30 AM
Skyriser

They're going to see a LOT of history there. The site has issues with "underground storage tanks" that I'm 99% sure were a speakeasy distillery. When the workers were digging for LRT, they found the tunnel that used to connect it to the Westward Ho.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:33 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Oh I get it and I'm not complaining about the 400' height which is amazing. But I see projects like X Society (2 towers on a block) or The Link (3 towers) on a block and looks awesome. Would've preferred a multi-phased development here to maximize usage

But I'll reserve judgement until renderings are released. Just excited we are able to discuss the potential of another 400'+ tower.
The Link had to get a GPLET and spot zoning i seem to recall, and I also don't think they fully assembled their parcels when they bought out the Maricel credit union. They also did separate towers to keep one as a student housing tower. Finally, phased developments are an excellent way to piss off your existing tenants. Highrise construction going on feet from your window is hell.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
They're going to see a LOT of history there. The site has issues with "underground storage tanks" that I'm 99% sure were a speakeasy distillery. When the workers were digging for LRT, they found the tunnel that used to connect it to the Westward Ho.
That's so awesome.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
This is the kind of history that should be preserved. I'd love to see that area develop enough for a Marriott or Hilton to buy the Westward Ho property, convert it to a hotel, restore, and embrace the underground speakeasy history.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
The Link had to get a GPLET and spot zoning i seem to recall, and I also don't think they fully assembled their parcels when they bought out the Maricel credit union. They also did separate towers to keep one as a student housing tower. Finally, phased developments are an excellent way to piss off your existing tenants. Highrise construction going on feet from your window is hell.
Ur missing the point I am trying to bring across, I am well aware of the behind-the-scene shenanigans and all other considerations including zoning, financing and any other hoops a developer has to jump through. Simply, I would've loved to see 2+ towers on this block.

But if that's all it takes, then hey...the developer should just apply for a GPLET and build 2-3 towers all at the same time! Problem fixed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Looks like the Travelodge at 6th Ave and Van Buren is facing the old wrecking ball. According to IG, the City Center Motel will be torn down for another hotel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXrP4vRP...dium=copy_link
Update on this from Modern Phoenix IG page.

City of Phoenix HPC voted 4 to 2 in favor of initiating a historic preservation overlay on the City Center Motel (which basically slows down the demo process). Proposed to be built on site is an automated crypto-friendly 7-story luxury hotel in time to be open by SB 2023 (which in no way happens).

I remember discussion about a crypto hotel not too long, anyone else remember that? lol from the renderings, everyone though would be by the old Post Office in Civic Space Park. Looks like this was it.

Link to the hotel site:

https://evaihotels.com

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:57 PM

This looks much better than the original rendering we saw.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Update on this from Modern Phoenix IG page.

City of Phoenix HPC voted 4 to 2 in favor of initiating a historic preservation overlay on the City Center Motel (which basically slows down the demo process). Proposed to be built on site is an automated crypto-friendly 7-story luxury hotel in time to be open by SB 2023 (which in no way happens).

I remember discussion about a crypto hotel not too long, anyone else remember that? lol from the renderings, everyone though would be by the old Post Office in Civic Space Park. Looks like this was it.

Odd location for a concept hotel like this. When I book hotels, either for myself or for a group, I try to find locations with a lot of appealing locations within walking distance. This location wouldn't check any checkboxes for me. The only desirable destination from there is east and it will take a few blocks to find something desirable.

I wonder if the developer prioritized cheap land. With so many better hotel options in downtown Phoenix, why would future travelers choose this one? I guess it would be downtown Phoenix's nicest hotel west of 2nd Ave, but a Motel 6 get easily get that award first.

If this place ever opens its doors to travelers over the next 2 years, I'm not wagering on those doors staying open for long.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:53 PM

I think you're putting too much thought into it, but I understand your tracking. If they're getting the ROI they want nothing else will matter. People will book the hotel and they'll make money.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I think you're putting too much thought into it, but I understand your tracking. If they're getting the ROI they want nothing else will matter. People will book the hotel and they'll make money.
I agree. It's close enough to downtown that it's within walking distance. I've stayed in many cities overseas where I walked a hell of a lot further and longer to get to places than it would take to walk from this hotel to the center of downtown. Eventually, other lots in this area may likely get developed too (let's hope).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Even if the hotel fails, it could easily be remodeled for apartments or condos.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
What is this fucking obsession with making college cheap? College is expensive, get over it! Work your ass off and get a scholarship like I did
I can't tell if this is satire or not. Are you really like this?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I can't tell if this is satire or not. Are you really like this?
Why did you quote a post from 2009?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Why did you quote a post from 2009?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 6:06 PM

It was on my screen and thought it was the most recent comment. I guess I clicked something old.
The question still remains, though.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 10:14 PM
Skyriser

I found the project number for the TSMC site: 20-4636.

I did a quick review of the permits just to get into how damn big this project is.

The mass grading and drainage permit was for 813 acres and 2,950,390 cubic yards of soil. If I'm reading this correctly that's about 9,800 of the largest rail cars if all of it was hauled off site, or around 100 full length trains at the least. According to the CES (commercial environmentally sensitive) permit, 449 trees will be taken to nurseries, 2,356 will remain on site, and 4,476 will be sent to the chipper.

This project is so complicated that it needs temporary works that need their own very expensive permitting. One of which I've found, a paint shed, is valued at $550,000. A stockpile permit is over $300,000, another $750,000. Imagine paying that much money to store just over 1% of total dirt moved on site in the latter case.

I'm reading random things come in at $40, $50 million easy.

A separate gas plant, for Linde Gas, a publicly traded company, is mentioned, I don't know how big the operation is going to be but I don't believe they've ever been reported as a supplier. The piping is estimated at $33 million alone.

The framing costs alone for FAB 1 are estimated at $113 million, the foundation costs $159 million--skyscrapers downtown don't get that much total cost, let alone for core and shell. A core and shell for the wastewater tunnel is $32 million. A truck building's foundation and an electrical building are both valued at $15 million. The water building's foundation is $62 million.

Hundreds of millions are in the permits alone to say nothing of what's left. It's just wild to get an insight of what's going on when all we see is just big cranes and a semi-built steel skeleton.

Last edited by combusean; Dec 23, 2021 at 10:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest