HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 3:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think 23rd and Walnut is as premium a location as others may feel. After 21st, Walnut quickly loses its luxurious feel. This specific location is on the fringe of Rittenhouse but not on the riverfront either (like say, Mandeville Place). Even still, I imagined something taller and more elegant. This feels like it belongs in Brewerytown, Germantown or another emerging fringe neighborhood.

Ironically, one of the dings on this stretch of Walnut Street is that Sunoco station, which apparently, Dranoff is going to develop. I don't recall reading anything on here about Dranoff and the Sunoco station, so there's some good news.
One tidbit, there are 2 townhouse developments in the area (mega luxury homes). The first is at 24th/Sansom (immediately West of Rite Aid), the 2nd is at 24th/Ionic.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9515.../data=!3m1!1e3

These ~10 homes and all the "tower" proposals could extend the premium Rittenhouse vibe basically to the river. There is also a stalled overbuild at 2218 Walnut (I think that is the address).

To your point about Walnut after 21st, the 2100 block desperately needs new sidewalks, more trees, and more lights/decorative lampposts (it's dim at night). There are 5 lonely trees (1 is dead) on the entire block. That would certainly help extend the upscale vibe.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9509...7i16384!8i8192

But I hope the Rite Aid proposal goes back to the drawing board.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:00 PM

As Summers has said, discussion of this turd belongs on the lorries thread. There, I've pointed out the relatively recent high-end townhomes nearby. Why they aren't at least going in that direction is baffling.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Haha seriously.... I mean.... look how comically under-scaled this building is in that aerial rendering. 2116 Chestnut and 2400 Chestnut tower over this thing and they're not that tall!!!

The blank wall facing Walnut Street? You couldn't move the elevator shafts into the center of this massively bulky shit-turd? It's so awful on so many levels.

I don't even want to make a separate thread for this abomination.
Someone else can do it. I refuse to deign to giving this a thread until we have a CDR submission.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Just to clarify my position, I still think this project is very underwhelming. But I stand by my comment that these blocks of Walnut are not the most attractive/premium part of Rittenhouse (doesn't mean they're bad). And it's not even that 21st is a firm dividing line. As you go below Walnut Street, those blocks (Locust, Spruce, etc.) west of 21st are very attractive and upscale.
This location is 3 blocks from Fitler Square, it's not part of Rittenhouse, it's a part of Fitler Square. Just spend some time Z-Estimating properties and houses about 100 feet south from these proposals and maybe you'll update your "premium" take. The issue isn't location, it's AMC Delancey owning dozens of unkempt properties on the north side of Walnut from 21st-23rd street and not doing anything to update them/beautify them.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
This location is 3 blocks from Fitler Square, it's not part of Rittenhouse, it's a part of Fitler Square. Just spend some time Z-Estimating properties and houses about 100 feet south from these proposals and maybe you'll update your "premium" take. The issue isn't location, it's AMC Delancey owning dozens of unkempt properties on the north side of Walnut from 21st-23rd street and not doing anything to update them/beautify them.
It's also in the Greenfield Catchment, which is literally a stone's throw from this site. If I'm not mistaken, Greenfield has overtaken Meredith as being the highest ranked neighborhood school in the city, excepting Penn Sadie Alexander.

With those credentials, they could be building big luxurious family sized apartments.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Someone else can do it. I refuse to deign to giving this a thread until we have a CDR submission.
I also refuse to create one LOL. This might be the first 12+ story building since 2011 to not get it's own dedicated thread on this forum.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:27 PM

I would ABSOLUTELY say this stretch of Walnut Street is SOLIDLY Fitler Square... not Rittenhouse Square.

Most boundaries for Rittenhouse are Broad Street to 21st or 22nd Street, Chestnut Street to South Street. (I consider it Rittenhouse until 22nd Street personally).

That would leave the boundaries for Fitler Square as 22nd (or 21st depending on your definition) Street to the River, Chestnut Street to South Street.

I would even say in some ways, Fitler Square is MORE desirable than Rittenhouse Square. Philadelphia School in the neighborhood PLUS Greenfield catchment and within walking distance. Easy access to the hustle and bustle and amenities of Rittenhouse but also much quieter, quainter and family oriented. Easy access to the River trail PLUS the added benefits of Fitler Square park and Schuylkill Banks Park.

This neighborhood is a HOME RUN. I've never heard of anyone saying this are is less desirable. Wedged between Rittenhouse and the River, Center City business district and University City? This neighborhood is easily becoming the most desirable in the city. The only thing holding Walnut Street back along this street is a few shabby buildings that need some TLC on the 2100 and 2200 blocks, and the Rite Aid and Sunoco gas station. Now that those are likely being filled in with more residents, more businesses will fill in these blocks... this area is a homerun in the making.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
EDIT: Frankly, this is a ridiculous debate. All I meant was that this particular stretch of Walnut isn't the best part of the neighborhood, which I think is a fair point. Besides the Rite Aid and Sunoco, there are a few shabby buildings, and the bridge approach feels a bit like a highway onramp. Of course and it should go without saying that Fitler Square and Rittenhouse are among the most prestigious neighborhoods in our region. I guess I wasn't clear about that? Part of the reason I'm so frustrated by this proposal is that it's a missed opportunity to improve this stretch.

Last edited by McBane; Aug 16, 2022 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 9:29 PM

Not my best work.

Last edited by Stg4100; Aug 16, 2022 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 1:38 AM

whoops

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:24 PM
Chris

^ I wish 1919 Market height was doubled.
Its a solid looking building and it would fill out that skyline gap (from the South) nicely. Plus it would double the residents.

I had a friend who lived there for a few years and the amenity spaces were top notch.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:02 PM

Great photo Stg4100! Thanks for posting

Love that the western edge of the Center City skyline between the Murano/2116 Chestnut and Peco Building/2400 Chestnut is FINALLY starting to fill in

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:09 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, amazing shot!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg4100 View Post

Excellent shot. Really showcases how great of additions the Arthaus and Laurel are to the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:39 PM

This is a great view of downtown; this is one of the views I've been showing out of town folks. When you look at the construction from 40th Street to say the Society Hill Towers who can really see how the skyline has grown.

One can only imagine how the skyline will look with all the potential projects in the works.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 9:26 PM
PHL

The upcoming Broad & Lombard tower will look incredible from that angle and really fill in the skyline on the far right of the photo.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 9:35 PM

Still Not My Best Work.

He is a Full sized version, It is like 10 or 15 62 megapixel pictures stitched together, If any of yous want the uncompressed photo it comes out to 15000x5000 pixels. It could make a 6 to 8 foot poster.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 10:55 PM

Damn I need to get a camera like you all have. I have essentially Bok’s view but from 12th street. My phone would not do it justice…

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Excellent shot. Really showcases how great of additions the Arthaus and Laurel are to the skyline.
Both are great but I think the Arthaus is more impactful because it definitely stands out, whereas the Laurel kind of blends in with the buildings around it. At least from this vantage point.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Damn I need to get a camera like you all have. I have essentially Bok’s view but from 12th street. My phone would not do it justice…
Its a Sony A7r4 with Sigma Art 14mm Prime lens, Manfrotto Tripod and Ball joint with a Syrp Genie Panning Motion Control System. I suggest if you get a camera like me, take more than one skyline panorama, lol. I have alot of photos so Ill start posting more regularly. I do like suggestions of spots I should go and set up for a panorama or maybe even a timelapse if the neighborhood isnt eyeing me up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations