HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:18 PM
Closed account

#

Last edited by Clarkkent2420; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:46 PM

Yeah I've also read that the New Madrid fault isn't very dangerous at longer distances. It's got something to do with deeper earthquakes like that proliferating shockwaves differently through the soil. Also I've heard that the soil here is basically a bowl full of jelly, if you shake it then it bounces back and forth, but it doesn't really tear or shake for long after you stop because it absorbs the energy. Our soil is not rocky where you have very jarring concussive seismic waves and it's not sandy where it liquefies when vibrated. It's dense, mucky, and thick. That also contributes to the dampering of earthquakes proliferating through great plains soil. Parts of the South Loop or south side might have some settlement issues because it's much sandier and the water table is high near the lake.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:21 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkkent2420 View Post
Believe it or not, even in San Francisco (and especially in Chicago) the wind load design criterion for tall buildings are the controlling factor for the structural design - not seismic. In Chicago, the result is very prescriptive wind design considerations, and no specific seismic considerations.

Interestingly, seismic design criteria allow for some % failure on the outer bands of the probability distribution for earthquake events. Meaning, in San Francisco, the code allows that some portion of buildings will fall down in an earthquake. Contrast that with wind load design - where you have to design to a 0% failure rate, plus safety factor.
Interesting. So we've got as stringent or more stringent safety codes than earthquake zones. Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah I've also read that the New Madrid fault isn't very dangerous at longer distances. It's got something to do with deeper earthquakes like that proliferating shockwaves differently through the soil. Also I've heard that the soil here is basically a bowl full of jelly, if you shake it then it bounces back and forth, but it doesn't really tear or shake for long after you stop because it absorbs the energy. Our soil is not rocky where you have very jarring concussive seismic waves and it's not sandy where it liquefies when vibrated. It's dense, mucky, and thick. That also contributes to the dampering of earthquakes proliferating through great plains soil. Parts of the South Loop or south side might have some settlement issues because it's much sandier and the water table is high near the lake.
It's funny, I've heard the opposite. The geology in the eastern US is older than that of the western US, and the older bedrock lacks the elasticity to absorb seismic shock waves well, allowing them to carry for much further distances. In the 1811-1812 New Madrid quakes (which most seismologists assume were about 7.5-8.0 on the Richter scale, making them the strongest ever quakes in the contiguous United States) caused much of the east coast to feel the effects of the quake. Church bells rang in places as far away as Toronto, Charleston and Boston.

Some text from Wikipedia:
Quote:
There are estimates that these stable continental region earthquakes were felt strongly over roughly 130,000 square kilometers (50,000 sq mi), and moderately across nearly 3 million square kilometers (1 million square miles). The 1906 San Francisco earthquake, by comparison, was felt moderately over roughly 16,000 km2 (6,200 sq mi).
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E...id_earthquakes

Quote:
In a report filed in November 2008, the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that a serious earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone could result in "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," further predicting "widespread and catastrophic" damage across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and particularly Tennessee, where a 7.7 magnitude quake would cause damage to tens of thousands of structures affecting water distribution, transportation systems, and other vital infrastructure.[21] The earthquake is expected to also result in many thousands of fatalities, with more than 4,000 of the fatalities expected in Memphis alone.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

Obviously the hope is we never see such a quake in our lifetimes, and if we do that Chicago is far enough away and our buildings engineered to be able to withstand any seismic waves coming from Missouri.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:02 AM
1st Ward

I remember being woken from my sleep by my rattling windows (old wooden window frames in an old apartment of mine), and thinking it was due to wind. I groggily get up, walk over to them to shut them, realize there is absolutely no wind coming in from the outside, conclude that the building is probably haunted, and immediately go back to sleep.

In the morning I found out it was an earthquake, hah.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:54 AM
Chicago

September 6, 2018

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 1:23 AM
Chicago

September 6, 2018

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:41 AM
Chicago

September 11, 2018

September 12, 2018

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:30 PM

Anyone know when the mat pour is happening?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 6:22 PM

Anyone know where the crane is going up?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:26 PM

Mat pour starts early Saturday morning.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:26 AM
Chicago

September 13, 2018

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Anyone know where the crane is going up?
My guess is they’ll be dusting off a Favelle Favco M1280d that built 150 N Riverside and One World Trade Center alike, which climbs through the core; no crane base required.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:34 AM

I'm hoping some of you guys are there to take pictures for the pour! Haven't had a pour this big for a long time.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
My guess is they’ll be dusting off a Favelle Favco M1280d that built 150 N Riverside and One World Trade Center alike, which climbs through the core; no crane base required.
I thought they couldn't do that anymore? Thus the reasoning for the cantilevered crane at 151 N Franklin... I could very well be wrong but I thought I remembered reading something about on here

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
I thought they couldn't do that anymore? Thus the reasoning for the cantilevered crane at 151 N Franklin... I could very well be wrong but I thought I remembered reading something about on here
IIRC the reasoning given was that the old Favcos are out of production and spares/support was too difficult.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 11:29 AM

^i believe that was also a contractor specific concern, not an industry or regulatory issue. Didn’t the Prentice replacement have a crane in the core?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:04 PM
BANNED

Perhaps I stand corrected!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:58 PM

Any idea of start time on the pour tomorrow?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Any idea of start time on the pour tomorrow?
The pour is starting at 4 AM tomorrow (Saturday) morning. 3,300 cubic yards of concrete

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:18 PM
BANNED

At 10 cu yards of concrete per truck, equals 330 trucks. Awexome

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive