HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Thanks for saying this in response to Baronvonellis’ silly post. Let’s not forget that a great amount of artwork in the Met is ancient near east/Egyptian stuff. We happen to have one of the world’s greatest collections of that here in Chicago, but not in the AIC. It’s at the Oriental Institute, a facility that doesn’t get as much acclaim as it deserves.

If seeing room after mind-numbing room of Renaissance paintings of random European nobles and Biblical scenes is really your thing, then yeah, AIC is probably not going to be your favorite place.

Also, don’t forget that Illinois residents still get free admission to these museums several days per year.
Lol. Well I went I went to the Met last summer it was free for everyone, maybe they changed it now. I spent 2 months in Europe last year, so the museums seemed alot cheaper there to me.

And yes, I'm a huge fan of Greco-Roman-European artwork. My favorite is Belgian art from the high middle ages/Renissance, Classical Greek and Roman. I know not everyone is into it as much. But the Belgian art from the middle ages is so extremely detailed, I really can stare at it for hours and get lost in the microscopic details. It takes so much care and patience to paint like that, you need a magnifying glass and a brush with only a couple hairs. I admire those artists that could paint like that. I just love fine details really, I'm not even very into the Christian themes personally, but that's all they painted in Europe till the Dutch Masters period in the 1600's. So, I loved the new Middle Ages wing at the Art Institute. I like modern surreal art such as Dali and Max Ernst which the Art Institute has alot of. They were expert artists as well.
I loved the Takashi Murakami: The Octopus Eats Its Own Leg at MCA! I'd like to see the Art Institute buy some of his artwork personally.

Yes, the Oriental Institute should be world famous! It's a shame because I go there often and it's usually pretty sleepy there. I don't think that hardly any tourists go there, it's seems to just be local Chicago people. Although, I don't know for sure. It's excellent, and that museum is free to go to! Maybe the Art Institute could build a wing to house the Oriental Institute's collection. I think alot more people would then view their collection if it were there, and the Art Institute would become even more famous!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest