HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 10:19 PM

Some renderings of the UCSF hospital from the February 21 community meeting. Keep in mind that these are still preliminary and the design won't be finalized for several more months. Note that some images show Fourth Street extending all the way through the campus, while other show a pair of cul-de-sacs for drop-offs. The current Mission Bay plan calls for 4th to go through, but both the university and the neighbors would prefer that it didn't, so that preferred option is being explored.

Site plan:

View from the southwest:

View of the "energy center" (utility plant) along Third Street:

View of Third Street entrance:

View of children's entrance along Fourth Street near Mariposa:

View of adult entrance along Fourth Street:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:41 AM
BANNED

^^^So when is this likely to get built? And since it's for "women, children, specialty, cancer" patients, everybody but sick adult men, where are the latter going to get care--the nasty, old and largely obsolete Mt. Zion? I'm beginning to feel like adult men, especially adult white men, are sort of pariahs (unless they get cancer, I guess).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:52 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^So when is this likely to get built? And since it's for "women, children, specialty, cancer" patients, everybody but sick adult men, where are the latter going to get care--the nasty, old and largely obsolete Mt. Zion? I'm beginning to feel like adult men, especially adult white men, are sort of pariahs (unless they get cancer, I guess).
You'll go to the Parnassus campus, not Mt. Zion. I'm sure that you'll find the lovely edifices there to be most esthetically pleasing.

Barring that, you'll go to the VA Medical Center, which is one of UCSF's training and residency hospitals.

You see BT, curmudgeons are in good hands here in San Francisco!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 6:24 PM

There will be a long review by the state, so construction won't start until probably 2010, maybe 2011. It has to open by December 2014 in order to meet seismic deadlines for UCSF's hospital buildings at Mount Zion to be shut down.

The full-service hospital will remain at Parnassus. That's where the main emergency room, ~500 hospital beds, specialized treatment like transplants, etc. will remain for decades to come. This Mission Bay project is intended to serve two primary purposes:

1. Move UCSF's renowned Children's Hospital from its current location in just a few floors of the Parnassus complex to a larger site that can be designed to be more appropriate for children and families. And since women's services are frequently closely tied into children's services, they're moving as well. These moves have the side benefit of freeing up space at Parnassus for a variety of uses.

2. Allow UCSF to shutdown all inpatient care at Mount Zion, where the buildings would require extensive retrofitting or rebuilding to meet seismic standards. That means that cancer, which is the focus of Mount Zion, needs to move.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that children and cancer are two easy ways to appeal to donors, which you have to do when you need to raise $500 million in private money (in addition to the $1 billion in other monies) just to do the project. Of course, it helps that Dede Wilsey is running that campaign.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 7:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
You'll go to the Parnassus campus, not Mt. Zion. I'm sure that you'll find the lovely edifices there to be most esthetically pleasing.

Barring that, you'll go to the VA Medical Center, which is one of UCSF's training and residency hospitals.

You see BT, curmudgeons are in good hands here in San Francisco!
As you may know (because I may have said), I do go to the VAH for outpatient care but for emergency care (on the 2 occasions I've needed it), I went to California-Pacific. Should I need cardiovascular care, I'd probably still go there (or Stanford) but it's the possibility of cancer, which is something for which UCSF is highly regarded, that has me interested in UCSF and its plans (that and the fact that I did some training there so in that sense I'm sort of an alum)--on a personal level, that is.

And of course it's probably a nice addition to Mission Bay as well as being more or less essential to their developing medical research campus there.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 7:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
2. Allow UCSF to shutdown all inpatient care at Mount Zion, where the buildings would require extensive retrofitting or rebuilding to meet seismic standards.
Saints be praised! A one-time love interest of mine's dad had neck surgery there and I was shocked at how crowded and generally archaic and disgusting the place was.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 6:04 AM
BANNED

Arterra unveiled:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 6:30 AM

^ Looks great imo, exactly like the rendering.The northern portion of Mission Bay is coming along great.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 5:24 AM

I found this somewhat informative, very graphically challenged site on development at Mission Bay. I think it's new:

http://www.missionbaydevelopment.com/index.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 7:53 AM

That surface lot is fucking disappointing.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 7:24 AM
BANNED

^^^You mean at the hospital? I was thinking the same thing. Why can't they build a decent looking parking structure and get more spaces on less land without looking like something in the suburbs?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 3:44 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ the 'future parking garage' in the corner of the surface lot seems odd since its on one of the corners farthest away from the hospital itself.

an incredible waste of space

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 4:05 PM
Sonoma Strong

i just had a thought:

maybe they are planning future (super far off future ) expansion plans for the surface lot - and when that happens then they will consolidate parking into the garage

any other 'good' explanations?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 6:19 PM
BANNED

^^^In which case I'd rather see the garage now and, oh, a soccer field or baseball diamond on the vacant land.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 7:17 PM

Yes, eventually all parking will be in structures and the hospital will expand across Fourth St. The plans are for a building to bridge the Fourth Street right-of-way on the second and third levels, while ground level remains open to either just peds/bikes or everything depending on how that discussion turns out.

The fact is, parking structures aren't cheap to build, and they're not going to build them until they run out of surface room. The lone "future parking garage" is completely nebulous at this point...no design and no idea when it would be built. It's positioned there to be consistent with the overall vision for the site, allowing it to remain there and be expanded to fill most of the future Owens Street frontage when the hospital expands. Build it closer to the first-phase hospital and they'll have to tear it down when they want to build the second phase, which may come sooner than many think.

There is a park in the SW corner of the parcel that will be developed along with the hospital. It is currently scheduled to be a soccer field, but some neighbors are questioning whether that's what they really want to see there.

For reference, this is a concept for full build-out...plans have evolved since this was put together, but the basic idea remains the same.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:17 AM
Sonoma Strong

^ thanx wildcowboy

that at least answered all my questions - thats actually a nice build out plan btw

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
Everywhere all at once

The articles posted on the first page are really fascinating. I look forward to seeing what will turn out for Mission Bay

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 2:33 AM

Update from curbed.com:

Development Watch: New Kids on the Block at Mission Walk
Thursday, March 27, 2008, by Jimmy Stamp

Concrete walls are beginning to rise up from the sea of rebar covering Mission Walk at 330— 335 Berry Street, a soon-to-be dev of 131 so-called affordable housing units (and a whole cache of new buddies for the commuting dot-comers and scientists in the nabe. Down with homogeneity, people.). The buildings are designed by San Francisco architects Leddy Maytum Stacy; Just yards away from Mission Creek, each is centered around a landscaped central courtyard. Creek side units will feature sweeping views of all Mission Bay construction projects, natch. To the gallery!

[Renderings via LMS Architects]

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 3:08 AM

Mission Bay South is about to get its first Starbucks.

It's going in at 1700 Owens, the first private biotech building that was completed a year or so ago. It's located on the pedestrian walk that separates 1700 from the Gladstone Institutes building, so it's invisible from 16th and only semi-visible from Owens.

I noticed they started building out the space a couple of weeks ago, and just noticed today that the Starbucks signage is up on the exterior. It'll be a bit longer until it opens though.

Kind of wishing we didn't have a second coffee shop opening just yet...would like to see Cafe Terzetto in the UCSF housing complex along Third have the area to itself for a while.

Of course, I don't drink coffee, so it's all moot to me.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 3:37 AM
BANNED

^^^The more retail the better from my perspective. I'd like to see something in the part of Mission Bay south of the creek to lure those of us with no current connection to UC or to one of the companies with offices there. Otherwise it's just a giant office park--like you find in the suburbs. I go there to watch them build things but once everything's built, I'd still like a reason to go there (other than to go to the hospital ).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development