HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:31 PM

^Looks sort of like Goettsch Partners' Al Hilal Bank in Abu Dhabi, currently unde construction:

http://www.gpchicago.com/users/news_...088&NewsID=115

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:13 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Yeah, that one would be tremendous to actually materialize this cycle in the South Loop. It was by one of the 2 DeStefano legacy firms (I think by the one that didn't design the proposed W. Randolph Tower fronting the expressway in the W Loop). If the project doesn't materialize on its planned site, perhaps SAIC should be speaking with this design firm about designing its forthcoming project.........challenge though with these privately developed student housing developments that are leased to the south loop schools is that some or many of the enrollment numbers in the area are down........not to say that the right individual project still can't work, but this is one factor (in addition of course to the super strong apartment market downtown - but particularly in the South Loop - I'm not sure if most folks fully comprehend the magnitude of rent growth in the Sloop over the past couple of years.....it's been truly staggering) behind the new owner of that 777 S State tower considering converting it back to standard apartments from student housing......

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:22 PM
you know where I'll be

500 W Diversey Project - On Plan Commission Agenda Next Week

In addition to the high-rise projects that Munchymunch covered in the high-rise thread, one not quite making that cut of special note that appears on next week's agenda is the 11-storey 56-unit residential project in the 500 block of W. Diversey........so, it seems this one's moving ahead afterall? (I could be imagining it, but I though someone mentioned here recently that there was trouble with this one, no?).....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 4:31 PM

The one that was having trouble was a different project on the Lincoln Park side of the street which was killed by NIMBYs. This project is on the Lakeview side and other than people complaining about density, this project wasn't receiving too many complaints.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:02 PM
you know where I'll be

^ got it, thanks! More trouble these days keeping all projects straight, so things are getting boomier, or I'm getting older, or perhaps most likely some blend of the two!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 6:17 PM

^^I went to one of the public meetings for 508 W Diversy. No one was really complaining about density. Most of the complaints had to do with traffic and parking (i.e. 53 residential parking spaces would add so much congestion to an already bad street, yet 53 parking spaces can't possibly be enough for 56 units so the street parking situation is going to get even worse). In other words still nothing we haven't heard before.

And the Brewster condo association has been strongly against the proposal because it is too tall (i.e. they are about to lose their western views)

But the developer has been very accommodating, and has revised the proposal two times, actually in my opinion actually to the betterment of the design. It should be a nice addition to the neighborhood.

Last edited by Ned.B; Aug 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 6:24 PM

Hm, the DNAInfo article seemed to have suggested that people were complaining about density. Although that could be that it lumped density and traffic congestion into that same overall problem.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:40 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A lot more people than you think - but at the same time, yes a lot more people are going to buy the cell phone.
Um, so how many people do you think Aaron thinks can afford those scarves? You seem to somehow know......

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:47 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
The current Apple Store would be hard to rehab into something else, and Apple wouldn't like some other company reaping the benefits of their proprietary glass work. I wouldn't be surprise if they knock it down themselves once they move.

Well, I just hope they at least tell the current owner - Water Tower Realty - before they demolish the structure.....I'm sure they'd at least appreciate the notice.....

The vast majority of even single-tenant retail properties are not owned by the retailer itself.

I could also see this being a teardown opportunity......on the other hand, there are no shortage of costly full-skin prime/flagship redos/renovations that happen all the time - just look up and down the Mag Mile itself over the last few years - and this could potentially be one of them as well......

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:49 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
because brands like verizon and sprint and t-mobile are national brands, and they want the exposure and visbility of being on one of the most heavily trafficked tourist streets in the country.

these kinds of flagship stores serve the dual purpose of being a store and also as advertising for the brand itself. visibility is everything.

Absolutely. These flagship things likely run the gamut in terms of actual operating profitability.......however, a lot of the value that they all see (well, not all actually 'see', but rather, 'hope' for) is in terms of the brand exposure....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:51 PM
pragmatist

Moving the Apple Store a few blocks closer to the Loop will make it that much easier for downtown worker bees to do mid-day computer repairs. I like the Hong Kong/IFC comparison -- this will be all about the glowing glass, both at plaza and river levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
if they could fill in that lower level courtyard and bring the structure all the way out to the water, but I bet that would require thousands of agencies to approve.
As long as doing so kept the staircase and walkway, why not? The riverwalk there is private, with a public easement. Enclosing a bit of space there would keep the amount of open space the same, but it'd be moved to the plaza level from the riverwalk level. This area was used as rentable square footage before, but it was outdoor dining for the food court.

The current store is 30,000 square feet, and the articles I've seen place 401's old food court at 18,000 feet. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where the additional square feet will be? Maybe there's some loading docks along Lower Michigan that can be pressed into service, or maybe Apple's hidden upstairs seminar room is moving into the tower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I think what Pip meant was why do all of the mobile flagship stores need to be on Michigan Ave? It's the City's (and the Midwests') prime commercial real estate setting, and traditionally for the most exclusive and expensive retail brands
Oak was for exclusive and expensive; Michigan Avenue is where you put up a billboard to show off to the masses. You'll get 50,000 pairs of eyes a day on Michigan, some of which you can peel off to show off the latest gizmo. Whether the sale closes that day or not is immaterial; s/he can buy online or back in Wauwatosa. The point is to get the idea ("I should buy a new phone") into the tourists' brains during a time when they're already primed to think "I should buy..."

(digging way back upthread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Yes this better not be short little turd. Which is what Mecerich seems to only develop based on there website.

The article did mention they might want join up with developer here, to add residential, and hotel. This is pretty much a must do, so can we get something really big?
Perhaps you didn't notice their just-completed three towers at Tysons Corner Center, or that they tried to boldly stick it to Santa Monica's legendary NIMBYs?

Speaking of un-creative owners, I'm more worried about a private-equity landlord sitting on Wicker Park Commons' vast parking lot. Apparently, the sale only included the existing ground-floor retail, not the office building or the property between Division and Milwaukee, but there was still a lot of turnaround potential there.

Last edited by paytonc; Aug 14, 2015 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:57 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Moving the Apple Store a few blocks closer to the Loop will make it that much easier for downtown worker bees to do mid-day computer repairs.

True, but the thing about this too is that the heart of downtown can easily support at least a couple Apple Stores.....they could have very easily opened one up in the heart of the Loop as well (in addition to keeping one somewhere on N Michigan)........remember when they were taking a pretty hard look at State St front space in Block 37? That would have been a very, very successful store......

Aside (and no, I'm not connecting the two): CIM is in lease with a retailer to not only take over the space that Eileen Fisher recently vacated, but this would be an 'expansion' of the space, because the new prospective tenant would have it turned into a two-level space, taking a (I believe roughly similar sized footprint) on the second level as well....

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
^^I went to one of the public meetings for 508 W Diversy. No one was really complaining about density. Most of the complaints had to do with traffic and parking (i.e. 53 residential parking spaces would add so much congestion to an already bad street, yet 53 parking spaces can't possibly be enough for 56 units so the street parking situation is going to get even worse).
Essentially, that is the anti-density argument. The only "solution" is no new residents, i.e., no increase in density. Aside from forcing them to swear off car ownership or something equally absurd, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Essentially, that is the anti-density argument. The only "solution" is no new residents, i.e., no increase in density. Aside from forcing them to swear off car ownership or something equally absurd, I guess.
Actually I haven't physically been to many public meetings, so I was surprised how car-centric they were. All I could think about is imagine how much less stress these people would have in their lives if the people who could go without vehicles did without, and stopped worrying about where to put a giant hunk of metal every day and how to get it there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Um, so how many people do you think Aaron thinks can afford those scarves? You seem to somehow know......
A lot of people will give shit to a high end store because they personally could never see spending that much money. Everytime I've been in Gucci, there's been a number of people in there actually buying stuff. On top of that, when you sell things for a good amount of money like that, it doesn't take very long to cover your rent.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 6:14 AM

Quote:
A lot of people will give shit to a high end store because they personally could never see spending that much money. Everytime I've been in Gucci, there's been a number of people in there actually buying stuff. On top of that, when you sell things for a good amount of money like that, it doesn't take very long to cover your rent.
Speaking of: anyone heard anything about allsaints spitalfields reopening in river north?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Speaking of: anyone heard anything about allsaints spitalfields reopening in river north?
Nope - where? Part of me hope it actually happens near where Rag & Bone went (Delaware & Rush). There's a vacant space on Delaware & Chestnut just south of there that would be great for a high end or high-ish end boutique. I don't think the building, which is ultra luxury, would allow them to do their look though. So I am now very curious

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 12:49 PM

Various South Side news:

1) Bronzeville Mariano's received its building permit yesterday. This will go at about Pershing & King Drive on a vacant lot. 363 parking spaces, which is unfortunate, but the grocery store being built down there is great. It also points to, I think, the ever going revitalization of the area.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...mmunity-effort

2) I noticed a business license issued for a Jerk place right near the 51st Street Green Line stop. Googled a few things and found this article from late November 2009 talking about a guy who wants to convert that area into 4 restaurants, a market, etc. In it, it mentions "The Jerk Shack" which is what this place is called in that location. The developer cites Chinatown as a great example of a cultural culinary destination in town that feeds the economy. I really, really hope this is the beginnings of that. I wonder if it also has anything to do with the Obama Library location...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...od-restaurants

Developer website: http://www.urban-juncture.com

3) Theaster Gates' next project will be opening in a few months:
http://www.artnews.com/2015/08/11/th...en-in-october/

4) I noticed a revision to a building permit from a week or so ago talking about converting a 5 story building at Cottage Grove & 63rd to 63 apartments. This is almost right next to that Green Line stop there. On Google Street View, the building looks vacant. Anyone know anything about this? There has been a number of building permits issued in this general area this year for renovating and rehabbing buildings/homes.

Last edited by marothisu; Aug 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Various South Side news:

1) Bronzeville Mariano's received its building permit yesterday. This will go at about Pershing & King Drive on a vacant lot. 363 parking spaces, which is unfortunate, but the grocery store being built down there is great. It also points to, I think, the ever going revitalization of the area.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/7...mmunity-effort
Sweet! It's a shame that despite being close to the Indiana station, it still has that many parking spaces. 363 is more that double the Englewood Whole Foods parking (which is 177). In spite of this, Pershing really needs this and I'm glad Mariano's is coming to the community. The Mariano's is already spurring development in the area ever since it was announced a year ago. That article said that a developer is building a 25,000 sqft store on the northwest corner of Pershing & Kind Drive and another is building 112 market-rate homes at 41st & Vincennes. They also are coming to the Lakeside development it seems.

Quote:
2) I noticed a business license issued for a Jerk place right near the 51st Street Green Line stop. Googled a few things and found this article from late November 2009 talking about a guy who wants to convert that area into 4 restaurants, a market, etc. In it, it mentions "The Jerk Shack" which is what this place is called in that location. The developer cites Chinatown as a great example of a cultural culinary destination in town that feeds the economy. I really, really hope this is the beginnings of that. I wonder if it also has anything to do with the Obama Library location...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...od-restaurants

Developer website: http://www.urban-juncture.com
Urban Juncture existed before the Obama Library bidding even began. Their goal has been to help under-served communities by developing commercial sites. CMAP did a case study on Brozeville's lack of retail and ways of bring it back. Urban Juncture wanted a retailer that was a cultural destination for Bronzeville and that idea became Bronzeville Cookin', the name of the site. You can learn more about CMAP's study in their report. It's worth a read if you're also interested in learning about other development projects going on in the neighborhood such as the Rosenwald Apartments and the redevelopment of The Forum: http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documen...8-ead5279aaf6c

Quote:
3) Theaster Gates' next project will be opening in a few months:
http://www.artnews.com/2015/08/11/th...en-in-october/
Yeeeess, and just in time for the Chicago Architecture Biennial. The art bank is actually going to be one of the sites for the Biennial

Quote:
4) I noticed a revision to a building permit from a week or so ago talking about converting a 5 story building at Cottage Grove & 63rd to 63 apartments. This is almost right next to that Green Line stop there. On Google Street View, the building looks vacant. Anyone know anything about this? There has been a number of building permits issued in this general area this year for renovating and rehabbing buildings/homes.
That would be the Strand Hotel which is a historic hotel in Woodlawn. It's being repurposed to house 63 units and also have retail on the first floor. You should definitely spend some time learning about the hotel's history, you'd find some really fascinating photos.

Last edited by Randomguy34; Aug 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Urban Juncture existed before the Obama Library bidding even began. Their goal has been to help under-served communities by developing commercial sites. CMAP did a case study on Brozeville's lack of retail and ways of bring it back. Urban Juncture wanted a retailer that was a cultural destination for Bronzeville and that idea became Bronzeville Cookin', the name of the site. You can learn more about CMAP's study in their report. It's worth a read if you're also interested in learning about other development projects going on in the neighborhood such as the Rosenwald Apartments and the redevelopment of The Forum: http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documen...8-ead5279aaf6c
I knew that. The article I posted is from 2009. I should have re-phrased it. My question was - does the Obama Library coincide with this thing finally happening at all or just coincidence? Anyway, regardless of that - it's great to see this thing finally happening maybe.

Yep, Rosenwald is another one that I've been looking at. It's been going on for a little bit now.

Quote:
Yeeeess, and just in time for the Chicago Architecture Biennial. The art bank is actually going to be one of the sites for the Biennial
Yep! Do you know the status of his other ongoing project in Washington Park? I think he was going to make a cafe, events/music center, etc right near where the U of C Arts Incubator and Currency Exchange Cafe is.

Quote:
That would be the Strand Hotel which is a historic hotel in Woodlawn. It's being repurposed to house 63 units and also have retail on the first floor. You should definitely spend some time learning about the hotel's history, you'd find some really fascinating photos.
Ahhh, why did I think it was about a mile south of there? That makes sense. I hope they fill out the retail too. Good TOD right there especially if they can add some more business to the area. Will it be a mostly market rate building or ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development