HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 8:35 PM
你的媽媽

^ Congrats to your nephew! UC Irvine is an excellent school.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:10 PM

^ Not if you like summer...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:29 PM

Yeah, high 60s is too cold to enjoy being outside to relax. Good for sports. It’s perfect for commuting and walking around in a suit, but I wouldn’t go for a picnic (let alone the beach) or even eat lunch outside until it’s in the 70s.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:31 PM

60's is too cold for summer weather and those are only peak temperatures. On a cloudy day that's gonna feel far too cold for a t-shirt.

If it was in the 70's I'd say yeah that's perfect.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:44 PM
你的媽媽

The inner East Bay (Oakland to Fremont) or mid Peninsula (San Mateo to Palo Alto) is the place to be for ideal summer time weather (mid 70s - low 80s) in the Bay Area. The South Bay (Sunnyvale to San Jose) or inland East Bay (Walnut Creek to Livermore) may be suitable to a lot of people as well but I find it too hot (mid 80s to low 90s). As others have mentioned, SF is a bit too chilly unless you're active outdoors.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 11:26 PM

pro & cons, good & bad, ups & downs about every place, every town, every country, every climate....

https://youtu.be/mG12sVOv60w?t=279

https://youtu.be/3c-fczFp7Ms?t=42

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 11:36 PM

Fairbanks has a warmer high summer than you might expect, with 80s frequent in late June and early July.

However, as we move away from the solstice our solar angle is already dropping quickly and a stretch of cold rains have moved in from the Bering Strait.

I love this time of year, when the forest bursts into vivid greens from the cool rains.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
^ Congrats to your nephew! UC Irvine is an excellent school.
Thanks! And yeah, UCI is a good school indeed.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ it's been pretty dry in Houston. Hardly any rain for past 2-3 months and our yard is scorched.

The trees here ooze sap everywhere. Nature is trying to do in my car from all angles. We have seagulls everywhere and they shit every where.
I know Kingwood has been dry, but down in the city, there have been some good rains in July. Parts of the inner loop of Houston have been drenched a couple of times lately, including downtown. Memorial Park, unfortunately, has had only one decent rain in months. My sister lives in Cypress on the northwest side, and it's been dry like Kingwood. Up here in Austin, it's about as bad as 2011. Extreme drought.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:15 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPH-BETTER View Post
Nobody likes summer.
You speak for all 8 billion humans?

Plenty of people like summer.

Can't have a proper beach day without summer.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 19, 2022 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I haven't been near coastal LA for the past few days, but the marine layer, & the cooler air that goes with that, apparently has been affecting the beaches. By contrast, inland LA has been sunny & very warm.

https://youtu.be/aw9qFFGPiNQ

^ For ppl into a resort type bch scene...as what you'd find in florida or the Mediterranean...the cooler ocean & upper level fog (or marine layer) of the Pacific isn't ideal. But for the rest of us further away from the coastline, it works like natural air conditioning.
I remember that in September 2020, Woodland Hills hit something like 118F and some other community nearby hit 121 F. It might have been Canoga Park. Now that was completely crazy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:32 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I know Kingwood has been dry, but down in the city, there have been some good rains in July. Parts of the inner loop of Houston have been drenched a couple of times lately, including downtown. Memorial Park, unfortunately, has had only one decent rain in months. My sister lives in Cypress on the northwest side, and it's been dry like Kingwood. Up here in Austin, it's about as bad as 2011. Extreme drought.
Kingwood has had a few downpours but they are short lived and barely enough to soak the ground

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Do Austin and Houston ever have droughts bad enough to get large CA type wildfires? Or do the woods retain enough soil moisture to avoid that? The last couple of years have been catastrophic in CA. A great number of giant sequoia trees have been destroyed in the Sierra. They used to be considered fairly safe from forest fires. No more. A couple of years ago a big wildfire in the normally moist Big Basin in the Santa Cruz Mountains burned many coast redwoods. This drought seems endless. Lake Mead may soon no longer be high enough to turn the electric dynamos, or send much water into the lower Colorado River. The southwest drought is a once in a Millennium event. If global warming continues, it may become the new normal.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:12 AM

Quote:
I remember that in September 2020, Woodland Hills hit something like 118F and some other community nearby hit 121 F. It might have been Canoga Park. Now that was completely crazy.
I think that was the heat wave where Death Valley almost broke the old high temp record. Woodland Hills definitely is a summer hot spot. The Santa Monica Mountains to the south block the cool ocean air. About 10 miles across the mountains, it is often 65 degrees while Woodland Hills is over 100. In summer, Topanga Canyon and Malibu Canyon Roads are crowded with steaming West San Fernando Valley residents driving to the cool beach.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
In summer, Topanga Canyon and Malibu Canyon Roads are crowded with steaming West San Fernando Valley residents driving to the cool beach.
Huzzah!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:49 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Do Austin and Houston ever have droughts bad enough to get large CA type wildfires? Or do the woods retain enough soil moisture to avoid that? The last couple of years have been catastrophic in CA. A great number of giant sequoia trees have been destroyed in the Sierra. They used to be considered fairly safe from forest fires. No more. A couple of years ago a big wildfire in the normally moist Big Basin in the Santa Cruz Mountains burned many coast redwoods. This drought seems endless. Lake Mead may soon no longer be high enough to turn the electric dynamos, or send much water into the lower Colorado River. The southwest drought is a once in a Millennium event. If global warming continues, it may become the new normal.
Austin more so than Houston but still fairly rare. Last major wildfire near Austin (Bastrop) was about 10 years ago. There were some other wildfires northeast of Dallas around same time. It's been so dry and hot this summer that much of the state is under wildfire warning.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
This weekend it felt like summer is finally here. Yesterday it hit 85 at LAX - a new record - and 93 downtown, the first time it's gone above 90 this year. Overnight lows have been very cool though, in the low 60s, a little bit below average.
I’ve been in California for the last week with my wife while the kids are in camp and we had a pretty fantastic time. LA before it got warm, apparently; and up the coast to SanFran for more perfect weather up there. We both decided we are LA people. San Francisco is undeniably a great city and the surrounding scenery is head-and-shoulders-and-bellybutton above the deserty mountains surrounding LA, but it’s extremely uncool. There’s a funky swagger that I like very much, but there is no confusing that with the style of LA. We plan to snowbird there post-high school (still nine years away) for 8-10 weeks starting in mid-February. That way we get to enjoy winter in New York and leave before the burdensome weeks when winter won’t end. I’m sure we’ll spend a week or two in SF some summers for a heat respite, but Colorado or Maine or Hamptons works just as well for that

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
There’s a funky swagger that I like very much, but there is no confusing that with the style of LA.
Although the climate of the SF bay area gives many parts of it the same look & vibe of LA/socal, to me there's a more complete dynamic about the southern part of CA, which is captured in various vids by this person....

https://www.youtube.com/c/JSOCAL1

LA is like a combo of the resort type beach scene of the Mediterranean & the completeness of a larger city. That was less true in the past, before LA had what I describe as evolved over the past 20-30 yrs. But it admittedly also has some of the downsides of France's notorious 2nd largest city, the gritty port city of marseilles.

Some of what I describe as the vibe of LA is what's shown in this vid...you get fancy places like this in southern france & southern spain too, but they don't look out over a city hosting millions of ppl.

https://youtu.be/df_ACNm5Cjc?t=844

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Yeah, high 60s is too cold to enjoy being outside to relax. Good for sports. It’s perfect for commuting and walking around in a suit, but I wouldn’t go for a picnic (let alone the beach) or even eat lunch outside until it’s in the 70s.
It literally says mid 70s.
And 70s in the sun is hot.

I'm sure people in Florida are enjoying their 100 degree heat indexes.
*checks social media
Nooope

Everyone is crying like usual and waiting for October. Seems fun!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:

There's a 4,000 acre fire in Texas right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions