HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:14 PM

Currently 24 wildfires in North texas.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The inner East Bay (Oakland to Fremont) or mid Peninsula (San Mateo to Palo Alto) is the place to be for ideal summer time weather (mid 70s - low 80s) in the Bay Area. The South Bay (Sunnyvale to San Jose) or inland East Bay (Walnut Creek to Livermore) may be suitable to a lot of people as well but I find it too hot (mid 80s to low 90s). As others have mentioned, SF is a bit too chilly unless you're active outdoors.
I like the South Bay weather, but I've never experienced anything above 85 down there. To me South Bay weather feels like southern California. I have experienced 100+ in San Francisco and Oakland, which was hellish because so few places up there have a/c.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:35 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm in Seattle right now and it's weather/ temps here same as in the East Bay. Perfect.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 3:10 AM

This thread made me think of that quote from author Helen Hunt Jackson (Oct. 15, 1830 -- Aug. 12, 1885) regarding the weather in southern California:

"The wet season is the season in which it can rain but may not; and the dry season is the season in which it cannot rain, but occasionally does."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 9:08 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm in Seattle right now and it's weather/ temps here same as in the East Bay. Perfect.
Yeah, the West Coast is really the Best Coast when it comes to weather.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
How about the "other" West Coast? The "West Coast" of NY, PA, and OH. 82 degree high today in Buffalo, 83 in Erie, and 84 in Cleveland.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 10:38 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
How about the "other" West Coast? The "West Coast" of NY, PA, and OH. 82 degree high today in Buffalo, 83 in Erie, and 84 in Cleveland.
That sounds nice too!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 11:44 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

104 F forecast for the weekend in st. louis. i’ve experienced at least 108 F in st. louis - not sure ive felt worse heat in the desert. i’ve experienced at least 110 F in palm springs and its a cakewalk compared to a humid 108.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:

That map is called summer.

The most hot week in the USA is the third week of July. On average since records have been made.

I look forward to the third week in January map also the coldest for the same reason.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i’ve experienced at least 110 F in palm springs and its a cakewalk compared to a humid 108.
Oh yes, me too, especially when a lot of those restaurant patios on Palm Canyon Drive have misters, which I guess would be pointless in a humid environment. Walking by those misters in downtown Palm Springs can be very nice on a really hot day.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
But the west coast gets plenty of it's own heatwaves. You're not exactly immune.

And it's worse since many of you don't have AC.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 1:20 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
But the west coast gets plenty of it's own heatwaves. You're not exactly immune.

Nothing compared to the rest of the country. Plus, very low humidity so when it does get hot, no swamp ass.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Who doesn't have ac
Do you just make shit it up?
Ive never seen someone try to be an expert of California 2000 miles away.
It's so freaking weird.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:01 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Who doesn't have ac
Do you just make shit it up?
Ive never seen someone try to be an expert of California 2000 miles away.
It's so freaking weird.
He’s probably thinking of SF. Most of the housing stock here doesn’t have AC. But we really don’t need it. When it’s 115 in Sac, we celebrate the nice weather. If it ever gets above 100F in SF, it probably means half the country are goners.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:35 AM

Quote:
He’s probably thinking of SF. Most of the housing stock here doesn’t have AC. But we really don’t need it. When it’s 115 in Sac, we celebrate the nice weather. If it ever gets above 100F in SF, it probably means half the country are goners.

He said west coast.
Not having ac isn't the same as not using it.
Yes, many people CHOOSE not to use it.
But that's not what he said. It's always the same thing with that guy...
Read his comment again. He's trying to imply millions are suffering even in their homes.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I like the South Bay weather, but I've never experienced anything above 85 down there. To me South Bay weather feels like southern California. I have experienced 100+ in San Francisco and Oakland, which was hellish because so few places up there have a/c.
100+ degrees in SF? - I lived in SF for 20+ years, I don't even recall this ever happening, maybe once (and you happen to be in SF that day). don't exaggerate dude.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:17 AM

Quote:
San Francisco hits 100 degrees, shatters same-day record, Sep. 6, 2020

The National Weather Service's downtown San Francisco gauge recorded a temperature of 100 degrees at 2:45 p.m. Sunday. This breaks the previous same-day record of 92 degrees set in 1904. The record was first broken at 11:45 a.m. "The last time San Francisco hit 100 degrees was September 2, 2017 (102) -- a day after its all-time record high of 106 on September 1, 2017," the NWS shared on Twitter
Quote:
The reconstruction of the Pleistocene climate begins with microfossils. For instance, plant material is the best indicator of weather. The fossil record includes wood, leaves, cones, and seeds. The presence of chaparral-type plant life along with coastal redwood and other canyon-dwelling trees suggests that the Pleistocene climate of Los Angeles was not drastically different from the present day. In fact, the best available evidence points to a climate similar to coastal Monterey or San Francisco, California. This climate is slightly more humid and cooler than one typically associated with the present day environment of the Los Angeles area.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpeaks View Post
100+ degrees in SF? - I lived in SF for 20+ years, I don't even recall this ever happening, maybe once (and you happen to be in SF that day). don't exaggerate dude.
I lived in San Francisco for a combined 24 years, leaving in early 2020. It does get over 100 degrees, but very rarely. It has only happened four times since 2000. On September 1, 2017, SF hit 106 degrees, an all time high, and that was absolutely miserable. The next day, SF hit 102. The city also hit 103 degrees on June 14, 2000 and 101 degrees on May 30, 2001. I never had air conditioning in any of my five SF apartments. Even the shops and restaurants generally don't have a/c in SF, although I think that is beginning to change.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Yeah, i was in Buffalo for the past couple weeks and it was constant upper 70s/ low 80s and sun. Come back to Philly and constant upper 90s. Western ny has some brutal winters though. Never minded the snow and ice (except driving in it) and to a certain extent the cold, but it just seemed to hang in there forever. And definitely not as much sun.

I prefer living in a place with solid 4 seasons though. Each one has a different feel and I'd miss that living in a place with consistent weather all year. Also prefer green to desert. Its fun to visit but not for me in terms of long term living.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Jul 23, 2022 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
On September 1, 2017, SF hit 106 degrees, an all time high, and that was absolutely miserable. The next day, SF hit 102.
Yeah, I was there during this heatwave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions