HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
No, the crown has just started. They're moving up to the 2nd floor and after that there will be 5 more floors to the roof. Then the steel parapet rises to 1,550 feet
Do you know what height the it will be after 5 more floors? thanks

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Surpassing willis tower or not yet ???
The yellow netting is moving up to the floor that will pass it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl4069 View Post
Do you know what height the it will be after 5 more floors? thanks
I asked my source but no response. Though according to diagrams it looks to be above 1,520 feet

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
The yellow netting is moving up to the floor that will pass it

I asked my source but no response. Though according to diagrams it looks to be above 1,520 feet
That's something like what i had thought, although the parapet does look taller than 30 feet, I'm thinking it could be more like 50 feet.

For me the top of the building will be below the parapet. Glad that either way it will be taller than sears.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:42 PM
DENNAB

The highest occupied floor is about as high as the Sears, so if they've ascended beyond that I'd say the US has a new highest roof

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The highest occupied floor is about as high as the Sears, so if they've ascended beyond that I'd say the US has a new highest roof
You mean highest floor in the US? They have 5 more floors to the roof

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl4069 View Post
That's something like what i had thought, although the parapet does look taller than 30 feet, I'm thinking it could be more like 50 feet.

For me the top of the building will be below the parapet. Glad that either way it will be taller than sears.

As you can see on this diagram, the space between the red lines are 50 feet and the green line is the roof.

Here are some other diagrams showing a short parapet

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:18 AM

Willis tower is 1450ft roof so if cpt is passed now the height is almost 1460ft ,this what i thought .

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Willis tower is 1450ft roof so if cpt is passed now the height is almost 1460ft ,this what i thought .
Perhaps you didn't read just above that the floor they're about to pour next week will be passed the Willis Tower

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:

As you can see on this diagram, the space between the red lines are 50 feet and the green line is the roof.

Here are some other diagrams showing a short parapet
Very nice diagrams, thanks. Parapet steel looks about 20-30ft. If we know the average floor height we can compare its size to the parapet. j

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:49 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 12:02 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 1, 2019 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:21 PM
Walk taker

^
What a shot - I hope you'll all indulge me a retouch and color correction.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 2:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:16 AM

Taken today by me

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
^
What a shot - I hope you'll all indulge me a retouch and color correction.

Wow 4 wtc really gets lost

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:27 AM
New Yorker for life

^ It was a beautiful day out today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByRD4xQH4NR/

Quote:
An in depth conversation with Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill from @asggarch about the design of the tallest residential building in the world - making history

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByDNPnAjR3e/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:15 AM

In the grand Scheme of things, The empire State building is starting to look like a little Pinky Finger on an otherwise 10 fingered hand.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Times are changing.

There are some nice photographs of the changing skyline over the years in the link...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/r...g-skyline.html

New York City’s Evolving Skyline
A high-rise building boom, mostly of luxury condos, has transformed New York City’s skyline in recent years — and there’s more to come.

By Stefanos Chen
June 5, 2019

Quote:
New York has long been a city in the clouds, but with 16 buildings around 500 feet or taller slated for completion this year, 2019 could be the city’s busiest year ever for new skyscrapers.

For many years the city’s skyline was primarily defined by the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, both over 1,000 feet tall and built in the early 1930s. But New York’s horizon has been in perpetual flux now for the better part of a decade.

There are currently nine completed towers in New York that are over 1,000 feet tall, and seven of them were built after 2007. Nearly twice that many — another 16 such towers — are being planned or are under construction, according to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, a Chicago-based nonprofit that tracks high-rise construction.

The scale of this new wave of construction is unprecedented.
Quote:
New York’s skyline looks starkly different than it did a decade ago, redrawn by the massive Hudson Yards project on the West Side of Manhattan; a profusion of towers on and around Billionaires’ Row in Midtown; and the revitalization of Lower Manhattan, with One World Trade Center leading the way. The recent rezoning of Midtown East will cut even more of the skyline into unfamiliar silhouettes. And new heights will soon be reached in Brooklyn and Queens as well, thanks to luxury apartment high-rises.
Quote:
The new skyline is surprising, in part, because of the velocity of newcomers. The Empire State Building won a closely watched, three-horse race in 1931 when it raised its much-guarded spire to 1,250 feet, outdoing the recently finished Chrysler Building (1,047 feet) and the tower at 40 Wall Street now known as the Trump Building (927 feet).

That record remained unbroken, the skyline essentially unchanged, until 1972, when the World Trade Center topped out at 1,368 feet.

The city was devastated when the Twin Towers fell in 2001, and “people experienced the gap in the skyline viscerally,” said Judith Dupré, an architectural historian and author of books on skyscrapers. It was fitting, then, that the new One World Trade Center, completed in 2014, set a record height at a symbolic 1,776 feet. (Without the spire, the roof is 1,368 feet tall.)
Quote:
In 1908, when the Singer Building in Lower Manhattan became the first in the city to rise above 500 feet, only 26 percent of buildings of that height were designed for residential use, according to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. Since 2010, 64 percent (including projects under construction) have been residential, most of them luxury condos.

“The price trend definitely correlates with height,” said Jonathan J. Miller, the president of the real estate appraisal firm Miller Samuel, who noted that unobstructed views became de rigueur for the most expensive apartment buildings of the last decade.

Central Park Tower, a 1,550-foot skyscraper under construction in Midtown, soon to be the tallest residential tower in the city, is hoping for total sales in excess of $4 billion — the most ambitious sellout in New York history. And an apartment at 220 Central Park South, a condo skyscraper that promises some of the best views of the park, closed in January for a record $238 million.
Quote:
Engineering solutions have also meant zoning loopholes. Developers are generally constrained in New York by a land-use calculation that determines the allowable height and bulk of a building. The ability to build thinner, and therefore cover less of the lot, has allowed developers to create very tall projects in some neighborhoods “as of right,” without petitioning the city and going through a lengthy review process, said Frank E. Chaney, a lawyer with Rosenberg & Estis, a real estate law firm.

One popular way to achieve greater height is to buy the unused development potential, or air rights, of adjacent properties, to amass a larger building.

“If you go back 10, 15 years, it was not nearly as common as it is now,” Mr. Chaney said of these mergers. “Now everybody and their brother is doing this.”

Critics argue that some new towers have also exploited the zoning code by creating excessively tall mechanical rooms that do not count toward a developer’s allotted square footage, but nonetheless effectively push apartments skyward for higher premiums.

“I call them fake floors,” said Gale Brewer, the Manhattan borough president, who estimated that 16 buildings have used this strategy to gain height. Some builders claim that the large mechanical or structural spaces are needed to service increasingly complicated buildings.
Quote:
Even amid the flurry of new construction, which includes a number of innovative designs, some complain that there isn’t the same sense of wonder there once was for skyscrapers.

“The awe that accompanies a new supertall is now tempered by the economic reality for many city residents that they simply can no longer afford to live in their beloved city,” said Ms. Dupré, the architectural historian.

Others fault the glassy sameness of many new towers.

“If you ask somebody, ‘How many residential buildings are over 800 feet?’ they’ll say one, or two, or too many,” said Anthony E. Malkin, the chief executive of the Empire State Realty Trust, which owns the Empire State Building. (The answer is 10 — six of which may be completed this year.)

Mr. Malkin, of course, is partial to the old skyline, before his building competed with new office buildings in Hudson Yards and Lower Manhattan for tenants and tourists. The new 1,268-foot mixed-use tower at 30 Hudson Yards, with its jagged peak that resembles a cut stalagmite, will have the Western Hemisphere’s tallest outdoor observatory deck, at 1,100 feet.

To keep up with the times, Mr. Malkin’s team has done a major renovation of the Empire State Building, with higher energy-efficiency standards and upgrades to the observation decks. The changing lights display, a beacon for the city’s mood and remembrances, still asserts its dominance in the night sky.

Nearby, more competition is looming. A proposed building in Midtown East called Tower Fifth, to be developed by Macklowe Properties, could rise to 1,551 feet, topped by an observatory with a 60-foot transparent slide.

“I’m not even going to comment on the subject of Tower Fifth,” Mr. Malkin said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive