HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Carling-Bayview Light Rail Transit Corridor Online Open House
http://ottawa.ca/residents/public_co.../index_en.html
Are there documents, too, or just time-wasting videos?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:21 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Are there documents, too, or just time-wasting videos?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...e.html?cmp=rss

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Carling-Bayview Light Rail Transit Corridor Online Open House
http://ottawa.ca/residents/public_co.../index_en.html
Overall I like the plan for it's scale of proposed developments and the new street and pathway connections.

Things that irk me in the video:
- Continuing the historical revisionism that the FOREIGNER Greber is responsible for the Queensway highway, not our own, native MTO.

- a Gladstone station is part of the plan, but we're not going to build it now. only in the future. why? who knows? who cares? but it's not important now, only in the future. also, it should be called Gladstone-Marconi, IMHO.

- 600m radii around stations are the key for planning purposes in the N-S route, but not for for the Western LRT, where no one seems to care that the hundreds of new residences being and to be built around Wellington-Richmond and Island Park are nearly a km from Westboro Station and over a km from Tunney's, despite the fact that the Ashcroftland, Wellington/Richmond and Island Park, Canada Bank Note Co development sites are all only about 250m from the LRT line.

- The Goat Trail behind Tom Brown, the one that's "Private Property" and absolutely not an acceptable shortcut to Bayview Station (and the pedestrian desire-line that produced it) is clearly visible in the presentation, but repeat after me: it's not a pathway! (to be fair, they do sort of start to address this issue later)

- extending the street grid up to the LRT alignment: great idea, but will people be allowed to cross the LRT? heck no! it must be fenced and protected! why? because it will be an high-speed automated system? no probably not, it'll probably crawl along like at-grade trams in Europe do, the ones that you can walk across anywhere, but don't kid yourself, ours will need to be fenced and protected!

- The "donut" development planning for the LRT station areas (high density around the station, no development at the station) is identified as a desirable principle, rather than a missed opportunity to leverage valuable air rights above the station

- there are no new connections identified between the existing Mechanicsville neighbourhood and future Bayview Yards development.

Some points to applaud:
- Extend a Wellington Street connection over the tracks
- Implement the multi-functional pathway along the north-south LRT line to connect Dow’s Lake to the Ottawa River (but would it be easily connected to the Wellington connection and extended street grid?)
- Create continuous building frontages along the Scott Street and Somerset Street bridges.
- Create new connections on private lands between Somerset and Albert Sts

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 4:38 PM

The FINAL Centretown Community Design Plan Has Arrived:

http://midcentretown.wordpress.com/2...n-has-arrived/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
- a Gladstone station is part of the plan, but we're not going to build it now. only in the future. why? who knows? who cares? but it's not important now, only in the future. also, it should be called Gladstone-Marconi, IMHO.
Why?

I prefer one-word station names. The line meets the street grid at Gladstone. So, Gladstone.

Quote:
- 600m radii around stations
And why radii? Why not real walking distances?

Quote:
- The "donut" development planning for the LRT station areas (high density around the station, no development at the station) is identified as a desirable principle, rather than a missed opportunity to leverage valuable air rights above the station
Seriously, though. BUT LOOK AT ALL THE OPEN SPACE!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Why?

I prefer one-word station names. The line meets the street grid at Gladstone. So, Gladstone.

And why radii? Why not real walking distances?

Seriously, though. BUT LOOK AT ALL THE OPEN SPACE!
I think the open spaces are a bit much i like the urban spaces but i don't get the need for so many parks.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I think the open spaces are a bit much i like the urban spaces but i don't get the need for so many parks.
It's for the vibrancy! Without trees and grass the city would stop vibrating. (Such is my understanding, anyway.)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Where are there too many parks, specifically?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Where are there too many parks, specifically?
Ottawa has over 800 parks where ever you go in the city there are parks and in soem areas there are to many as a exzample i live in Bells Corners and with ina 5-10 minute walk there is 8 parks most are not really used that much.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Ottawa has over 800 parks where ever you go in the city there are parks and in soem areas there are to many as a exzample i live in Bells Corners and with ina 5-10 minute walk there is 8 parks most are not really used that much.
I'm sorry, thought we were discussing the Bayview CDP.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 3:19 PM
Citizen-at-large

Upcoming CDPs for neighbourhoods near future LRT stations

Quote:

City wants to make it easy for residents to build their lives around transit
Plan is to double the density of homes and jobs around future LRT stations

By David Reevely, The Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA — The city is about to move into high gear on redevelopment plans for the neighbourhoods around three stations in the eastern stretch of the planned light-rail line, with major rezonings to come at four more within a couple of years.

The mission is twofold: First, to more than double the density of jobs and homes around stations like St. Laurent, Cyrville and Train. Like many Transitway stations outside the downtown core, they’re surrounded by other roads and low-density stores and light industry, and if that doesn’t change, the city’s $2.1-billion rail project won’t be as busy as the city wants. The city wants to more than double the population around those stations in the next 20 years, ideally to make the neighbourhoods even denser than Centretown outside the core business district.

“Our drive is to ensure that to the best of our abilities, there will be the people that are going to drive ridership on the LRT,” says Councillor Peter Hume, who chairs city council’s planning committee. What’s going on, he says, is a basic shift in the purpose of public transit, from a system that’s mostly about getting commuters from the suburbs to downtown and back, to a system that serves distinct neighbourhoods built up around each station.

And so, second, the goal is to have a good idea what those distinct neighbourhoods will look like and how they’ll fit into the neighbourhoods that are already there. With LRT stations due to begin serving districts of parking lots and highway cloverleafs in 2018, the city doesn’t have much time. The goal isn’t to have several million square feet of offices and condo towers built around the stations in the next seven years, but to be completely ready with neighbourhood plans for what can go where and city infrastructure, from bike paths to water mains, that’s up to the job.

Hume says “transit-oriented development” has been a hot topic around city hall for years (city council approved design guidelines for it in 2007) but it’s only been executed in a “tentative, fractured” way. Often, the language in the city’s development rules is dangerously vague: Just this week, city council’s planning committee backed a pair of residential towers at the north end of Roosevelt Avenue that are to be twice as tall as the zoning allows, in part because the property is so close to the Westboro and Dominion stations on the Transitway. The city’s official land-use plan calls for taller buildings close to the Transitway that will someday be a rail line, but the zoning, providing rules that are finer-grained, doesn’t match up. Nearby residents, who are getting 14- and 16-storey buildings in their backyards, screamed. But to no avail.

“We’re always responding to someone who’s sensed an opportunity,” says Hume, reacting when a developer wants to do one particular thing on one particular lot. When an application comes in that makes sense under one set of rules but not the other, “people say, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa, shouldn’t we do this comprehensively?’ Well, we’ve learned that lesson.”

St. Laurent, Cyrville and Train are first, with the city’s planners having just finished mapping the areas they want to look at: anything within roughly an 800-metre walk of the stations. In the new year, says the city’s top planning manager John Moser, they’ll make contact with the landowners and begin to talk about the possibilities. Around the Train station, for instance, the existing density is about 100 people a hectare, roughly 7,000 people, and just about all the people who count toward that figure are workers. The city wants to increase that to 200 to 300 a hectare, and have a mix of employment and residential uses. Centretown south of Gloucester Street, for comparison, has about 200 people a hectare today, with a plan to increase that to 250.

“We want to have these areas be site-plan and building-permit ready,” says Moser. “And do we have the right pedestrian patterns to get to [the stations]? Do we have the right cycling routes to get to it?”

The first three plans should be done by the end of next summer. Over the following two years will come similar plans for Blair, Hurdman, Lees and Tunney’s Pasture stations. They’re supposed to govern development around the stations for about 20 years and be nearly impossible to overturn.

A very similar plan for the northern part of the O-Train corridor, between Bayview station and Carling Avenue, offers a glimpse of what all those neighbourhood plans might look like. The area around the Bayview station includes a lot of unused publicly owned land; most of the rest is light industry or low-density commerce, like the self-storage business that took over the former bus barn on City Centre Avenue, and the currency-printing company that just announced it’ll shut down next year. They’re uses that made a lot more sense when the O-Train line carried freight.

The latest draft of the Bayview plan calls for the storage place to be replaced with townhouses, new shopping and commercial towers going in several blocks to the northwest, all linked up via treed plazas and cunningly connected pathways. It imagines “point towers” — tall buildings with small bases — along the O-Train track north of Somerset and again overlooking Dow’s Lake, surrounded by shorter buildings that step down to the houses and small apartments of Chinatown and Bayswater.

The O-Train corridor is in fairly tight quarters; the eastern rail stations give the city more room to work with. South of the St. Laurent station, for instance, the federal Public Works department is planning an office complex on fallow ground once occupied by the provincial government. The city wants 80 per cent — four out of five people! — to get to work there using transit, Hume says.

“One thing that has to come out is parking,” he says. “The only way it’s going to work is if there’s very little parking and so what parking there is, is expensive. And so people will say, ‘I can pay $400 to park my car, or I can spend $100 on a transit pass,’ and they’ll do the thing that makes sense.” To make that work, it’ll sure help if people arriving by transit can live close to stations somewhere else.

In Vancouver, they’re working on a similar project with “upzoning” around stations along the Canada Line — the underground extension of the SkyTrain built before the 2010 Olympics to connect the Vancouver airport to downtown along Cambie Street. It’s been a major north-south artery forever, but long stretches of it are lined with single-family homes and Vancouver wants to replace them with taller mixed-use buildings.

That’s created a land rush, crazy even by Vancouver standards. Houses along Cambie assessed at $1.2 million went for $3.4 million earlier this fall, once developers realized they’d eventually be able to knock them down for taller buildings. Residents are getting tired of agents for would-be buyers pounding on their doors, but also fretting that if they don’t sell out, their homes will soon be surrounded by construction sites and then six storeys of neighbours peering down on them.

Ottawa intends to avoid that. Almost anywhere there’s an existing house, it’s being treated as off-limits.

“If I was a homeowner, and I was to look at it strictly from a value perspective ... I would want my land in the area,” Hume says. But most residents probably don’t want to move and including people’s homes in the redevelopment plans would be extremely disruptive. “For those who [would] choose to stay, it has the potential to fundamentally change the character of the community,” he says. And it’d likely mean the planners would spend nearly all their time discussing changes in a relatively small part of the land that needs redeveloping. So, Hume says, they’re just staying away unless a community approaches the city en masse with the intention of selling.

There may be a sticky exception to the hands-off rule: At Tunney’s Pasture, single-family houses right across Scott Street from the station are just the sort of thing transit-oriented development doesn’t call for. The redevelopment plan there is barely a gleam in the planning department’s eye right now, somewhere on the to-do list for 2013 or 2014, but the planners will have to deal with it. Figuring out what to do there and how to involve residents will take a star urban designer, like Larry Beasley (credited with many of the successes of downtown Vancouver) or George Dark (behind the city’s downtown urban-design strategy and part of the panel overseeing design work at Lansdowne Park) to “engage the community and make sure that they’re fully represented and fully respected.”

Ultimately, the city hopes to solve two problems at once, by making it easy for people to build their lives around transit and dramatically reducing neighbourhood zoning fights, one neighbourhood at a time.

“We want to make it so that communities can know that density is going to happen here but it’s not going to happen here,” Hume says.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ci...#ixzz1i20ODOkq
It will be interesting to see these plans, and unlike some I do think they are helpful, but I am skeptical that they will "dramatically reduce neighbourhood zoning fights".

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 5:03 PM
Citizen-at-large

Here's the city website for the TOD planning exercise:

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/publi...onsult_en.html

It looks like public consultation will occur in the spring, but only after the preliminary plans are already prepared.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:48 PM
National Capital Region

It was mentioned at the planning summit that some CDPs/Secondary Plans will be soon be reviewed... Westboro will be reviewed by outside planners, I believe Vanier (secondary plan review or new CDP, not sure), and a new plan for Scott Street/Tunney’s Pasture area.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 10:06 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Now when people say the LRT plan doesn't go where people live*, the response is "yet"

*setting aside that the remark is already bullsh!t given the numbers of people that live within the the expert-approved radii around the stations between Lees and Tunneys (not to mention whatever WLRT route is chosen)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 9:46 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:20 PM

"Scott Street CDP" set to kick off in January, with a one-year timeline.
From the description in the Citizen, it will include Mechanicsville, some of Champlain Park, and I guess some of Hintonburg and West Welly (but how far south it's coverage will extend is unclear). Presumably we'll talk about Tunney's Pasture, but it will have nothing but moral suasion over what the Feds decide to do at Tunney's, since they are are completely free to take or leave the recommendations in any City Plan/Bylaw/etc. as they see fit.... but then again, if what's going on on the little tree streets (and Norman) off Preston is any indication, developers and City Staff/Consultants will also feel completely free to take or leave the plan's recommendations as they see fit.
http://is.gd/bfuiwd
Quote:
City plans revamp of neighbourhoods near Tunney’s Pasture

By David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen November 27, 2012

OTTAWA — Trying to get ahead of development pressure and figure out how a renovated government complex at Tunney’s Pasture will fit into its surroundings, the city is hiring a consultant to make a new plan for Scott Street and the neighbourhoods just off it, between Bayview and Northwestern Avenue.

The “Scott Street Community Design Plan” joins a bushel of other such efforts on the city’s docket, and Kitchissippi Coun. Katherine Hobbs said Tuesday it’s partly needed because nearby Wellington Street West already has a plan and the area around the major Bayview transit station is on the brink of getting one.

After years of stop-and-start work, a plan covering either side of the O-Train tracks from Bayview south to Carling Avenue should be complete sometime in 2013, she said, though work on the planned light-rail system around the Bayview station could make the spot unappealing to developers for a while.

“Currently we have a lot of low houses on Scott and Holland, and there’s going to be pressure once the LRT is in, or even before that,” Hobbs said. The LRT’s first phase is to end at Tunney’s Pasture and the city’s expecting many people to want to live nearby. And on the Tunney’s Pasture property itself, the federal government is planning to build numerous office towers that will need to be knitted into Champlain Park to the west, Mechanicsville to the east and Wellington Village to the south.

“At Tunney’s Pasture we still don’t have the mixed-use development we want,” Hobbs said. “It’ll be a work campus. But what you have is people in Champlain saying they want to be able to get to the transit station, and people in Mechanicsville saying it’s a barrier. We need to establish the network for people to move through and in and out.”

She also hopes either to cover sections of the transit trench so the neighbourhood will have more open green space, or at least to build bridges for pedestrians and cyclists across it.

“You can only get money for them if they’re in a plan,” Hobbs said.

So the city’s planning department has formally asked for bids from urban designers interested in making one with contributions from existing residents and landowners. It expects to pick a team within weeks and get them to work as soon as January on a one-year project.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com">dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:10 PM

You can read the full RFP here: http://hintonburg.com/CDPRFP.pdf

Quote:
"Scott Street CDP" set to kick off in January, with a one-year timeline.
From the description in the Citizen, it will include Mechanicsville, some of Champlain Park, and I guess some of Hintonburg and West Welly (but how far south it's coverage will extend is unclear). Presumably we'll talk about Tunney's Pasture, but it will have nothing but moral suasion over what the Feds decide to do at Tunney's, since they are are completely free to take or leave the recommendations in any City Plan/Bylaw/etc. as they see fit.... but then again, if what's going on on the little tree streets (and Norman) off Preston is any indication, developers and City Staff/Consultants will also feel completely free to take or leave the plan's recommendations as they see fit.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
From the description in the Citizen, it will include Mechanicsville, some of Champlain Park, and I guess some of Hintonburg and West Welly (but how far south it's coverage will extend is unclear).
Thanks HCA, from the doc:
Quote:
The CDP area includes the private and public properties within the following area:
• Scott Street between Western Avenue (to the west) and Merton Street (to the east)
• Generally, the designated Mixed Use Centre properties along Parkdale and Holland Avenues, from Spencer Street (to the south) to the Ottawa River Parkway (to the north) and Stonehurst Avenue (to the east).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:19 AM
National Capital Region

the latest on the Bayview-Carling CDP - focusing on the Preston-Carling area
http://www.westsideaction.com/bayview-carling-report/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues