HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:12 AM
Here we stAy

Here's a link to the Sacramento Bee article about the expansion from a week or two back.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/08/509...ant-keeps.html

$135 million federal grant keeps Sacramento region's rail expansion rolling

A bridge over Cosumnes River Boulevard at Bruceville Road is under construction as part of a project to extend light rail to Cosumnes River College. Area officials ambitiously envision an integrated system including light rail, streetcars and high-speed trains serving the region.

This map is particularly great as it shows the new extension, the extension after this (to the airport), and what's on the drawing board.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
But we're to believe that high speed rail won't work in California because there is no transit once you get to Los Angeles. Ha!
L.A. is doing a very poor job, IMO, of broacasting it to the rest of the country, that you can fly into LAX, hop on the Rails (via the Green Line shuttle bus) and enjoy a fantastic vacation there without calling Hertz!

I've taken 2 rail trips there in the past month, can't wait to take more of them!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 2:44 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
L.A. is doing a very poor job, IMO, of broacasting it to the rest of the country, that you can fly into LAX, hop on the Rails (via the Green Line shuttle bus) and enjoy a fantastic vacation there without calling Hertz!

I've taken 2 rail trips there in the past month, can't wait to take more of them!
That meme is going to die a slow, unfortunately, death.

Though, CAHSR will do much to move it along.

Last edited by phoenixboi08; Feb 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:46 PM

Denver/Aurora's I-225 line ground breaking is March 1:

I-225 Rail Line Groundbreaking
Join us when RTD FasTracks holds the groundbreaking celebration March 1 at 10:00 a.m. It marks the start of construction on the complete line through Aurora. See location details here.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 10:23 PM

I have never been to.LA, but I have heard that there are a few subway lines and bad transit. I find it surprising thag the second largest US city has such a poor system.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post

San Diego has done a terrible job too, but that's because they want tourists and businessmen to use taxis. One could take the local bus 992 circulator to Santa Fe station which serves Amtrak, Coaster (commuter rail) and all three trolley lines (57 miles of LRT, all the way to the TJ border).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:10 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroRailRoad View Post
I have never been to.LA, but I have heard that there are a few subway lines and bad transit. I find it surprising thag the second largest US city has such a poor system.
emcee, you should look into it a little/lot more: in the usa today, there's no other city doing more than los angeles for rail.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 5:45 PM
cities|transit|croissants

It's probably true (although debatable) that no other American city is currently building more rail than LA, but that's partly because LA is so far behind. It's simultaneously true that LA has a very poor system for its size, AND that LA is expanding rapidly.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
It's probably true (although debatable) that no other American city is currently building more rail than LA, but that's partly because LA is so far behind. It's simultaneously true that LA has a very poor system for its size, AND that LA is expanding rapidly.
Other than Pasadena, USC, Long Beach, Santa Monica (soon), Anaheim Stadium and Disneyland, LAX (soon), Hollywood, Irvine, Century City, the Wilshire corridor, and Burbank airport you can't get around at all by rail in Southern California.

We visited Southern California last summer for five days and only rented a car once. LA County curerntly has over eighty miles of light and heavy rail, with over seventy stations. Additionally, the Metro Link commuter rail has over 500 miles of track that it uses. LA also probably has the best bus rapid transit in the United States, with the Orange line.

Last edited by 202_Cyclist; Apr 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 7:39 PM

I didn't say it was bad. I did not say you can't get anywhere on transit in LA. I said it was bad for its size. There are 18 million people living in metropolitan LA, and its Metro system, which is mostly light rail, is smaller than the heavy metro systems of DC, Chicago, and San Francisco, all of which are much smaller metro areas. On a per capita basis, LA's metro hits way below those other cities. This is not a debatable point; it is a mathematical fact.

LA is doing great things with its transit, and is a model to the rest of the country in many ways. I'm insanely jealous of its bus system, and rapid roll-out of new rail lines. Nonetheless, its Metro is smaller than it should be.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I didn't say it was bad. I did not say you can't get anywhere on transit in LA. I said it was bad for its size. There are 18 million people living in metropolitan LA, and its Metro system, which is mostly light rail, is smaller than the heavy metro systems of DC, Chicago, and San Francisco, all of which are much smaller metro areas. On a per capita basis, LA's metro hits way below those other cities. This is not a debatable point; it is a mathematical fact.

LA is doing great things with its transit, and is a model to the rest of the country in many ways. I'm insanely jealous of its bus system, and rapid roll-out of new rail lines. Nonetheless, its Metro is smaller than it should be.
Agreed. We still have a ways to go. I'm a firm believer that Measure R was really only the beginning, not the end, of LA's investments in rail infrastructure.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:45 AM

Groundbreaking on Friday for the S 200th St/Angel Lake extension of Link Light Rail. This will be another 1.6 miles of elevated track and will be located south of the SeaTac Airport Station. Opening will be in 2016 - this is when the University extension will open as well.

http://www.soundtransit.org/About-So...ndbreaking-426

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 6:03 PM

Denver's West light rail line opened, so it is coming off the list.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 6:35 PM
Long-Time Californian

What 'threshold' would posters here consider as meeting the definition as "Under construction"?

There are several early actions that can referenced....
"Utility Relocations" typically not undertaken by eventual contractor
"Staff Recommendation for selected Contractor"
"Board Approval for Contractor"
"Notice to Proceed" for Contractor (rarely announced publicly)

Is this worthy of a poll?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 11:42 PM

^ I think groundbreaking is an appropriate threshold.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 2:50 PM

Looking at the under construction list there are a couple of updates for Salt Lake:

Frontrunner south (Commuter Rail) opened in December and the Airport extension (Light Rail) opened earlier this month.

We still have the Draper extension (Light Rail) and the streetcar under construction. The Draper extension is scheduled to open in August and the Streetcar line in December

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:12 PM
Oak City

Charlotte's next light rail line has broken ground

Source

Today was the groundbreaking ceremony for Charlotte's next light rail line. It is actually an extension that will double the existing light rail length. The current line runs from center city down south through Southend to the I-485 beltway. The new extension will run northeast through NoDa to University City and end on the campus of UNC Charlotte.

Google map of the extension.

Here's a little Q & A:

How long will construction take?
Groundbreaking is 7/18/13 and utility work begins immediately. Service starts 2017.

Is the line any different than the existing one?
Yes. The original light rail line's stations were designed to handle 1 and 2 car trains. The new line will have stations that can fit 3 car trains. There are plans in place to go back and expand the existing stations.

What's up with the funding?
The light rail line is fully funded. The cost is $1.16b and roughly 50% is federal, 26% state, and 24% local.

How long is the line?
9.3 miles which will double the line to 18.6 miles.

Were plans changed during the process?
Yes. Originally the line would extend all the way northeast to I-485 with a park and ride at the interstate. To fit within the budget two stations were eliminated and the line will terminate on the campus of UNC Charlotte. The line is designed so it can be extended in the future.

How many stations?
11 new stations. 4 will be park and ride stations with a total of 3,100 new parking spaces.

What are ridership projections?
By 2035, 24,500 daily weekday riders on the extension, 26,500 on the existing line, for a total of 51,000. The original line beat initial projections when it opened.

How long will the commute take?
25 minutes from the campus of UNC Charlotte to center city (Transportation Center/Arena Station) and 47 minutes to ride the entire cross county line end to end.

How many new light rail vehicles will the city purchase?
22 for a total of 42.

What other construction is going on along the line?
The railroad yard and truck yard is being moved to the new multi-modal cargo yard at the airport, freeing up a good amount of land. Plus, improvements are being made along the corridor for the eventual high speed rail line. The Amtrak station will be moved to center city, and several crossing such as 36th street and Sugar Creek will be converted to grade separated. The extension will also include new bike lanes, sidewalks, and landscaping.

What kind of TOD can we expect along the extension?
By 2035 the areas around the new stations will have over 10,000 new housing units, over 3.8m sq. ft. of office space, and over 1.3m sq. ft. of retail space.

What about public art along the extension?
Just like with the original line, 1% of the project budget will go to fund art at the stations and along the line.

What will the stations be like?
Like the current stations, all stations will have canopy coverage, covered ticket vending machines, system and area maps, train and bus schedules, public art, bicycle storage, benches, trash receptacles and security features.

Some photos of the existing line I've taken:

TOD!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
What 'threshold' would posters here consider as meeting the definition as "Under construction"?
Pretty strict.

Full-funding grant agreement, notice to proceed, and broken ground. Somewhat different if it's not federal, but most of them will be.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 4:52 PM

Atlanta Streetcar - Entire Loop 2.7 Miles - 7/30/2013:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LV9021EUO0

Centennial Olympic Park to Woodruff Park:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8K8Y7fWt1A

Woodruff Park to 75/85 Connector:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_vv1jNv6vQ

75/85 Connector to King Historic District:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDdc4EL9Q8

King Historic District to 75/85:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRp2cZAvGk

75/85 Connector to Woodruff Park:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XUpWT6VA94

Woodruff Park to Centennial Olympic Park:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjNP1cO14fY

Have you ever wondered how two steel rails are connected? It's done by a process called "Thermite Welding." I caught the tail end of the process:
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwW-s_WA56w
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKjn7Sxwcuw
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFOmXa0u83w
Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptEZOz_49_c

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 6:46 PM

Has construction started on Phase II of the Silver line in Northern Virginia? The contract was awarded early this year but I don't know if construction has started.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation