HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
(Scurries to Google Maps)

Garfield? Okay, got it. Coronado? Ah yes, I love that area; just leave it alone; let it find its own way. Westlake? Google was no help.
I think he meant Eastlake Park. That's generally the area between Van Buren and the railroad tracks, 7th Street to the 51.

There are some things happening and some nice old bones, but I don't think it's very high on most people's list. Will probably stay on the lowest end of the scale.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 6:15 PM

Thanks for the assist
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I think he meant Eastlake Park. That's generally the area between Van Buren and the railroad tracks, 7th Street to the 51.

There are some things happening and some nice old bones, but I don't think it's very high on most people's list. Will probably stay on the lowest end of the scale.
I can recall some true grit in that area.

It may be that the area east of the Papago Fwy gets the 1st love. Feels like the area east of say 40th street has some nicer office space etc. For the most part I'm thinking of 4 to 6-story apartment projects.

I also forget how downtown Phoenix, for as well as its doing, is not yet the kind of economic driver as other parts of the metro area. But the trajectory is upwards.

What I do believe in the the attraction of affordable land, friendly zoning and approvals to stimulate interest. Oftentimes it's the national guys that will project the 'direction of travel' and it may be the continued growth of Sky Harbor along with being east of 24th St may be the sweeter spot.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 6:47 PM

Update
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
When you have a situation like this, what you want to do is to right click - search google for images. In this case there were two other options, both from KTAR
Thanks to progress (cough cough) Google has just eliminated this option from their Metaverse. Actually, they completely changed that function: "Search Google for Images" used to be that searching for different sizes was the whole purpose - but no more.

One can still search "Images" for project X (or anything) and the chances are reasonably good that different media/sources will have different-sized images.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
Ya'll might wan't to check out the DAVIS website, lots of new things I haven't seen before including this one of Chase Tower renovations... They addressed many users comments on here including making the base of the tower more similar to the renovations that we've also seen at Willis/Sears Tower in Chicago with ground floor retail and restaurants, plus a whole new tower on the garage site...https://thedavisexperience.com/proje...wer-renovation

Bumping this thread from the dead. Has anyone heard any rumblings about this potentially being a possibility? Redevelopment news of old Chase Tower has been pretty quiet

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:03 PM

I need to better understand how Hermes and Apple are being represented in these renderings. Hermes opening a boutique in Downtown Phoenix where there's no other upscale retail seems extremely unlikely. Fendi is opening at Palmaire so my expectation is for that to be the next retail destination - not Chase Tower.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 4:54 AM
Skyriser

Davis often does fantasy projects for some reason. This is one of them. It's irresponsible of them to put it up on their website without permission from the parcel/property owner.

Furthermore, inventing prospective tenants is a good way to get them sued but it seems like global retail powerhouses don't give enough of a shit about them either.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
I know this is the Phoenix development news section of the forum but Tempe has impressed me with their development projects and what they doing because it’s extremely impressive. I wonder if Tempe does get their entertainment district will it stop the development of a potential entertainment district in downtown Phoenix?
I don’t think it will stop potential entertainment districts in Phoenix with all the growth along the light rail from downtown to uptown. I have been thinking with the struggle between the Coyotes and the airport, they should look at the massive empty land by Steele Indian School Park. We haven’t heard anything about that really cool development posted in ages and there is plenty of land there for an arena, entertainment, and the housing they were planning in Tempe. I think that area could use the boost more than Tempe. I don’t know if it is ideal for fans, but it is better than Glendale.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 12:59 AM

Drove by Phoenix Children's yesterday and noticed the building immediately to it's west on Thomas was in the process of being demo'd. The building and the lot next to it has been fenced off for a few weeks. Anyone know what the plan is for this - is it PCH related?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:03 AM

Anybody know anything about this fact finding?

http://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/S...Number=2109995

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:56 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post

That's the lot across from Westward Ho with the underground bowling alley I believe? I know last year, someone bought that lot and adjacent lots for development. 39 stories is big. I'll see if I can dig up something.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:09 AM

Looks like the Travelodge at 6th Ave and Van Buren is facing the old wrecking ball. According to IG, the City Center Motel will be torn down for another hotel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXrP4vRP...dium=copy_link

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Looks like the Travelodge at 6th Ave and Van Buren is facing the old wrecking ball. According to IG, the City Center Motel will be torn down for another hotel.

About time I say Van Buren is under-utilized and that's only becoming more apparent the more development occurs

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:

The amount of effort people put into saving shitty old buildings in this city I will not understand.

Its a desperation to preserve anything because much of what should have been preserved is gone.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
That's the lot across from Westward Ho with the underground bowling alley I believe? I know last year, someone bought that lot and adjacent lots for development. 39 stories is big. I'll see if I can dig up something.
Interesting development and nice find SoCalZonie! Curious to see what other info you can pull Crested.

Not sure how the lot(s) are assembled, but I hope the developer builds multiple towers on the block.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 7:40 PM

It looks like preliminary building plans were submitted for X Phoenix Phase 2 today (PRLM 2110062).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:51 PM
Modulator

601 N. Central Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post

Here's what I've got so far. No renderings, but some good info. Developer is LG Development which has some pretty good stuff. Below is the site plan. The rest of the documentation is on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Mv?usp=sharing. I hope this has some real traction. This could be in the 400' to 450' range!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 11:03 PM
Skyriser

Quote:

I wouldn't mind the front setback being preserved, but the whole thing? What is possibly meritorious of the rest of the meritorious about the rest of the buildings that warrant historic preservation? They're not unique in character, historically significant, nor contribute to an active historic district. Man preservationists make themselves like nuts sometimes.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Here's what I've got so far. No renderings, but some good info. Developer is LG Development which has some pretty good stuff. Below is the site plan. The rest of the documentation is on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Mv?usp=sharing. I hope this has some real traction. This could be in the 400' to 450' range!

Damn...so looks like taking up the whole block once more? Seems like a massive footprint. Would rather they split up the project and have 2-3 towers on this block.

I guess I'll just wait and see for renderings to see what this looks like...

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Dec 20, 2021 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for digging these up and posting. So looks like they're asking to abandon the alley, but would be agreeing to a perpetual easement in the same place for alley-like purposes such as waste collection, etc. They say they want to do this to allow them to install ambient lighting, art installations, etc. in the alleyway that ordinarily wouldn't be allowed in a public-owned right-of-way. The request to abandon the alley was what killed the last development proposed on this site IIRC. This proposal seems like the best of both worlds, so hopefully it solves that issue.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 11:35 PM
Skyriser

There are arbitrary density issues with Urban Form that is making it impossible for projects to reach height maximums or do eg twin towers (never mind the added construction expense for the latter), and this one is no different. Tho it's hard to complain about a 400' project in Phoenix.

Should probably reserve judgement about the building footprint. If they do double loading around the whole thing and have an interior courtyard, that would be an impressive amount of bulk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest