HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 12:58 PM

Saskatoon Central Library | 4 Floors | Design Phase

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:29 PM

Great call on starting a thread on this. From the latest update, it seems we will be seeing lots more excitement around this soon.

I wish there were more renderings in this new package of updated info, but at the least, it's nice seeing the exterior rendering. And for the floor plans, I am just so happy to see a cafe that appears to have its own access (i.e. can be open outside of library hours). Hopefully one of our good locals (i.e. Venn, Mueseo, Underground) gets the contract for it. We desperately need good coffee downtown.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 1:56 PM

I’m sad there isn’t much more for retail space, but it looks like it will be bringing in a ton of new foot traffic - but yes we need a coffee places! I personally have been obsessed with Prism Coffee on 20th lately - driving all the way across town for a deadly cup of their beans. Their espresso machine is amazing.

Also note that the “outreach window” is on a busier side of the street - 25th. Seems like they’re trying to push out that crowd that’s traditionally created rowdiness at the library and that this library will be more family focused. I completely agree with this, but we still need the supports in place for those in need! Seems like The Lighthouse’s programming is basically non-existent.. they just ousted their director so hopefully we see some changes to downtown programming soon… probably not though as it’s a tough job

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:58 PM

What is the plan for the old Library? I'm guessing city hall staff will eventually spill over into it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 12:23 AM

This project looks great and I like the exterior shape. Hoping Regina can get a central library replacement sometime soon as well. When is the completion date for this?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 1:55 AM

That's a nice looking library... impressive scale too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's a nice looking library... impressive scale too.
One or two more more floors taking up to a point with a garden on the top with make a statement and provide a reason for people to travel up and down the different floors.

The Vancouver library has an outdoor garden on the top and adds quite a bit to the experience. https://www.vpl.ca/roofgarden

For Saskatoon and enclosed garden would be fantastic.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 2:39 PM

First impressions are quite positive but I am quite curious to see what the plan is for the rest of the property (i.e., outdoor green space, etc.) Regardless, this is going to be incredible for the area. I'm hoping that with more density down the street with the Baydo Towers that this will become a more vibrant part of our city and downtown.

With a completion date of 2026, this project should keep up the pace to keep on track. Does anyone know what the next steps are?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:58 PM

I think the initial design photo doesn’t show the actual length of this thing - it’s running just about the entire block. Probably purposely not shown the size of this thing for taxpayer perception reasons ha

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 5:44 PM

I still don't get the Teepee influence....it looks more like a canoe to me, if anything. I like colour, and that may date a building, but it might be nice to see some of the metal panels coloured? Or at least the provision for some interesting lighting effects that could change the appearance of the building in the evening.

Can't wait for the ground to break on this.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 7:27 PM

.... after seeing the renders for Edmonton's library, followed by what was actually built.. I don't even want to know what may end up happening here....

the design is a little simple.. nothing flashy.. but decent in the render at least.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 5:52 PM

Last edited by Larch; Apr 28, 2022 at 6:07 PM. Reason: brain fart

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 10:18 PM

I'll be curious to see how the design gets finalized and how much it resembles these renderings.

I lifted the info below from a 2020 report that the CoS had published, but I believe the actual budget was prepared in 2019.
Quote:
Budget

The project budget is $134 million. The total project budget crosses multiple budget years, $132.7 million in 2019 and $1.3 million in prior years.

The budget includes all project costs:

Land $ 9,000,000
Professional Services & Consultants $ 12,600,000
Construction & Site Preparation $ 73,300,000
Furniture & Equipment $ 9,600,000
Permits, Fees & Other $ 1,300,000
Public Art & Public Engagement $ 1,300,000
Insurance $ 500,000
Escalation Allowance (Inflation) $ 3,000,000
Tax $ 7,000,000
Contingency $ 16,400,000

$73,3M for 136,000 sqft of building works out to about $539/sqft. That's not particularly high for a building of this type. With the construction cost escalations we've seen in the last couple of years, I'd say that the $16.4M contingency is already gone. So, something's going to have to give. Either the design gets modified/shrunk or the City is going to be paying more money for the project. Given that this is already a somewhat contentious build, I things things are going to get ugly when the cost overruns begin to be reported.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 2:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 5:53 PM

With the demolition of that building there’s now no decently sized liquor store downtown. Would that make Saskatoon the only downtown in Canada without that feature? lol. 2 steps forward 1 step back

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
With the demolition of that building there’s now no decently sized liquor store downtown. Would that make Saskatoon the only downtown in Canada without that feature? lol. 2 steps forward 1 step back
I haven’t spent much time in downtown Regina recently but unless something has changed they haven’t had a downtown liquor store in a long time. There used to be one on Broad but it closed a number of years ago.

I don’t think any of the private liquor stores have chosen to open their new locations in the downtown core in either city. Probably not worth the hassle of dealing with varied clientele vs opening in the suburbs. If there was enough demand to justify I’d assume someone would open one.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
I haven’t spent much time in downtown Regina recently but unless something has changed they haven’t had a downtown liquor store in a long time. There used to be one on Broad but it closed a number of years ago.

I don’t think any of the private liquor stores have chosen to open their new locations in the downtown core in either city. Probably not worth the hassle of dealing with varied clientele vs opening in the suburbs. If there was enough demand to justify I’d assume someone would open one.
The Riversdale Liquor store was one of the most profitable liquor stores in the province prior to it closing, so you don't have to worry about demand. Also, it is a shame the Province closed such a profitable business.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
The Riversdale Liquor store was one of the most profitable liquor stores in the province prior to it closing, so you don't have to worry about demand. Also, it is a shame the Province closed such a profitable business.
He wasn’t talking about Riversdale, he was talking about the one on 2nd Ave N between 25th and 24th. I’m sure it was profitable as well. The issue is that the building that SLGA was leasing was sold as part of the Library purchase. SLGA had no choice in this particular location. They could lease a new location but obviously they seem to be moving away from their own stores.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
He wasn’t talking about Riversdale, he was talking about the one on 2nd Ave N between 25th and 24th. I’m sure it was profitable as well. The issue is that the building that SLGA was leasing was sold as part of the Library purchase. SLGA had no choice in this particular location. They could lease a new location but obviously they seem to be moving away from their own stores.
I was speaking to his point - "If there was enough demand to justify I’d assume someone would open one." - regarding private liquor stores not being willing to open in the downtown core (of either Regina or Saskatoon). I'd consider that Riversdale location part of the downtown core.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:44 AM

well, a gov't liquor store being demolished for a native-themed center for healing, learning and education, for meetings and discussions by and for the public is....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan