HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:22 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Our City probably has some of the best scenes and art around.

Philly = ART

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:29 PM

Wow. Those are great, Tony. Almost made me think the ATVers are cool.

Almost.

(No joke those are amazing photos)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:29 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Wow. Those are great, Tony. Almost made me think the ATVers are cool.

Almost.
Holy Shit Mcgrath

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:39 PM
Chris

Philadelphia leans on past experience in hosting major events during pitch for 2026 World Cup

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=4#cxrecs_s

Not sure if this is the best thread, but what do we think are the chances of Philadelphia landing a World Cup Game in 2026? The city had its big meeting Wednesday.

I think 10 spots are open and 17 US cities in the running (including NYC, DC, Boston).

I think Philadelphia has a good chance, especially with Comcast execs making an appearance at the meeting. That would be great to beat out DC and Boston (I think New York is a given).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Philadelphia leans on past experience in hosting major events during pitch for 2026 World Cup

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=4#cxrecs_s

Not sure if this is the best thread, but what do we think are the chances of Philadelphia landing a World Cup Game in 2026? The city had its big meeting Wednesday.

I think 10 spots are open and 17 US cities in the running (including NYC, DC, Boston).

I think Philadelphia has a good chance, especially with Comcast execs making an appearance at the meeting. That would be great to beat out DC and Boston (I think New York is a given).
NY and LA are especially a given because of one advantage that they, and according to the latest census, we have: a Latino population.

Fact is, that demographic of people watches the most soccer. And I don't know of Boston having a huge Latino population.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
NY and LA are especially a given because of one advantage that they, and according to the latest census, we have: a Latino population.

Fact is, that demographic of people watches the most soccer. And I don't know of Boston having a huge Latino population.
I also think our venue and it's central location are hard to beat. The Linc is just south of the core and a short subway ride. Foxborough is like the Linc being in West Chester.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:50 PM
Chris

Quote:

Comcast also owns Telemundo, a big plus. And the Semiquincentennial is another big factor for Philadelphia.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:57 PM

Never knew The Terrace on 18th Street would have night lighting

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 10:21 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Never knew The Terrace on 18th Street would have night lighting

Heres a better picture.

You gotta get out more at night before it gets cold.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 12:14 AM

Taken by... me!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 12:51 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:

Taken by... me!
That's a good photo Mcgrath, Lines are straight and its clear as day

We really have a good looking skyline.

Also that's one of my favorite parks in the city, great view.

Last edited by TonyTone; Sep 25, 2021 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 1:25 AM

Awesome photos! Thanks dudes!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Does a 6 story overbuild on a 6 story building count as a highrise?

http://www.rising.realestate/6-story...-row-building/
Looks great! As McGrath said... once we get a rendering, we can certainly start a thread since it will meet the 12-story threshold.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 7:32 PM

Not to rekindle another one of these threads--obviously there are issues as all cities have--but man, these guys are starting to sound like Chicken Littles.

Despite development boom, business leaders say Philadelphia is still hamstrung by familiar obstacles

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-in-phila.html

Quote:
“Fashion District is key to our success in terms of attracting employees,” Mitchell said. “There is a symbiotic relationship there. Should it fail, it will have a significant impact on Jefferson.”
Really?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 9:10 PM

I agree with him. Should the Fashion District fail and be torn down, and a much more reasonable/holistic series of buildings (not unlike East Market) be put in its place, it would have a VERY significant impact on Jefferson University. Positively.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I agree with him. Should the Fashion District fail and be torn down, and a much more reasonable/holistic series of buildings (not unlike East Market) be put in its place, it would have a VERY significant impact on Jefferson University. Positively.
that isnt happening and I dont think thats what he was saying. We need to focus on the lots and parcels that are nothing but parking lots before we aim our ire at shopping complexes that just got renovated to the tune of 300 million. FDP is hardly center city's biggest issue.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Not to rekindle another one of these threads--obviously there are issues as all cities have--but man, these guys are starting to sound like Chicken Littles.

Despite development boom, business leaders say Philadelphia is still hamstrung by familiar obstacles

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-in-phila.html

Really?
LOL old people are a hoot.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
that isnt happening and I dont think thats what he was saying. We need to focus on the lots and parcels that are nothing but parking lots before we aim our ire at shopping complexes that just got renovated to the tune of 300 million. FDP is hardly center city's biggest issue.
I know it wasn’t what he was saying; I was twisting his words to further my point.

I certainly agree that the FDP isn’t the biggest problem in Center City, but it’s up there.

Arguing that it was just renovated is also a sunk cost fallacy (if you think about it, saving the Gallery at all was a sunk cost fallacy). I hope that in my lifetime, before I’m senile, I can watch them level it down from my apartment in the Ludlow with a smile.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 4:42 PM

I'm not sure why we're even talking about demolishing the Fashion District. Is it perfect? No, but it's a hell of a lot better than what was there. Plus, the average tourist won't know any different and would ACTUALLY like this mall. It even meets the street much better than what was there. The food scene is decent with City Winery, Hoots Wings, and your typical suburban mall stuff. It has an AMC Theater, Candytopia, Wonderspaces and a Round One.

Look at the shopping line up - Armani Exchange, Aerie, Aeropostale, American Eagle, Burlington, Columbia, DSW, Eddie Bauer, Express, Forever 21, Francesca's, Gamestop, Guess, H&M, Hollister, Journey's, Kate Spade, Levi's, Lids, Nike, Pandora, Primark, Sephora, Spencer's, Sunglass Hut, Ulta Beauty and Zumiez with still more room to add more. It not only fills a retail void that Center City was missing with a lot of these stores, OR stores that are no longer available on Chestnut or Walnut (American Eagle, Guess, Forever 21, Kate Spade, Ulta all closed...), but it also reads like a suburban mall dream playbook. I know the idea of suburbs gets under most people's skin on this forum, but what do you expect? This is EXACTLY the type of retail that should be at Market East. Almost every tourist to Philadelphia IF NOT EVERY tourist in Philadelphia will filter through this area. MOST of those tourists are suburbanites.

Fashion District is HARDLY the thing holding Market East back, and it's certainly improved by leaps and bounds. The city needs to do a better job of pushing the seedy characters and the homeless along. This area has a Macy's, TJ Maxx, Five Below, Ross, Marshall's, the Fashion District, the Convention Center, Reading Terminal Market, the Declaration House, and sits between Old City and the Parkway - probably two of the most visited areas in Philadelphia. We need the highrise on the 13th and Market lot to get off of the ground, we need the entire south half of the 1000 block of Market to be demolished and replaced with one or two highrises. We need the buildings between Ludlow, 10th and Market to be demolished (obviously keeping the historic church) and replaced with a highrise. We need that crumby Rite Aid and the old Burger King to be demolished and replaced with a new highrise on the 700 block (and some of those other buildings on the south end need some TLC, we need the parking garage Brandywine now owns demolished and replaced with a highrise and MOST IMPORTANTLY, we need the 800 block of market gaping Disney Hole eyesore to be filled in. I'm now in full support of the Sixers building their stadium here with two highrises that front Market Street just like TD Garden in Boston. Once all these lots fill in, we should absolutely be pulling for stores like a Disney Store, Legoland, Hershey's Chocolate World, and other touristy things.

Last edited by summersm343; Oct 1, 2021 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:08 PM

There’s not nearly enough room at the Disney Hole for the stadium, much less the stadium and two high rise buildings. The historic building on the SW corner of the lot would have to be demolished, and even then, it’s barely big enough for the Sixer’s needs.

You make some valid points about the Fashion District, and I wholly agree that the more pressing issue on East Market at the moment is knocking down the south side of the 1000-1100 blocks and building taller, but when all of that is said and done, would you not agree that the FD is not the highest use of the land?

I realize that this is a totally different argument from what I was saying before (demolishing it NOW) but I think at the end of the day I just want it gone. Maybe not now, but before I die in 2100.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations