HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:06 PM

^^^ Have they started painting the Apparel Center in that first picture?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
^^^ Have they started painting the Apparel Center in that first picture?
Yes - good catch

Oct 30

Nov 3

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 7:38 PM
1st Ward

^ Is that the new color, or just a primer?

The sooner these Wolf Point towers go up, the sooner we won't have to see the fugly Apparel Center cap the south branch river canyon.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 3:42 AM

^^^I made all the renderings for this renovation, so I can say this isn't the final color. Unless there was a last minute change.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Is that the new color, or just a primer?

The sooner these Wolf Point towers go up, the sooner we won't have to see the fugly Apparel Center cap the south branch river canyon.
Will they ever tear that thing down?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
They're not going to implode a two million square foot structure just because its 'ugly'. Do you know what that would cost?

Lets start by first completing the Wolf Point towers and then flattening the much more offensive East Bank Club across the street and replace it with a row of new towers along the North branch. A new fitness center could be incorporated into the base. I can see that happening in the next decade.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 4:20 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think that's too likely. I would assume the property is profitable in its current form, and it appears to be structurally sound. Its most impressive southern views will be blocked by Wolf Point, eliminating any premium for it to be replaced by a luxury condo project. Then there's the fact that its a massive 2 million SF whole block complex, making demolition an expensive affair.

Its probably going to be around for a very long time.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I don't think it will still be standing there 5,000 years from now giza pyramid style, but I'd bet a significant amount of money that it will outlast all our lifetimes. The thing is a beast of big giant floorplates, and it appears to be in good shape; someone would have to be awfully foolish with their money to voluntarily wave goobye to all of the perfectly serviceable, revenue generating floor space just because its exterior is rather unattractive.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
They're not going to implode a two million square foot structure just because its 'ugly'. Do you know what that would cost?

Lets start by first completing the Wolf Point towers and then flattening the much more offensive East Bank Club across the street and replace it with a row of new towers along the North branch. A new fitness center could be incorporated into the base. I can see that happening in the next decade.
Well it happens in more expensive real estate markets. But you're right, it's unlikely in Chicago, because the downtown area isn't fully built out and there are cheaper places to build.

That said, they are considering demolishing the Thompson Center, which would seem to me to be just as prohibitive in terms of cost. And while the building needs work, it also has more architectural merit.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:23 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Well it happens in more expensive real estate markets. But you're right, it's unlikely in Chicago, because the downtown area isn't fully built out and there are cheaper places to build.

That said, they are considering demolishing the Thompson Center, which would seem to me to be just as prohibitive in terms of cost. And while the building needs work, it also has more architectural merit.
While overall Chicago real estate is rather a good deal, the central business district of Chicago is second only to Manhattan is price per acre in the U.S. Not quite as cheap as people assume.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:45 PM
tilted & shifted

Chicago River turns odd shade of teal at Wolf Point

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 6:49 PM

^^I noticed that. Then I thought "No, you are not really seeing that color." Ha. good to know i am not losing my vision/mind.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 10:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
^^^I made all the renderings for this renovation, so I can say this isn't the final color. Unless there was a last minute change.
Very cool. Care to share them? Or at least tell us the final color?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:19 AM

Quote:

While the Thompson Center is certainly more architecturally significant its wildy inefficient and expensive to maintain. I hope they don't tear it down personally but that would seem the more likely scenario

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:

The Thompson Center is a shitheap that has been poorly maintained and neglected by the state since it was completed. It's also underutilized in terms of tax revenue since the tenants are all basically government and it sits on arguably the most desirable piece of land in the Loop in terms of transit access. The city could eat the cost of the demolition and still come out way ahead in the short term if the site is properly developed.

And our illustrious leaders in Springfield have already counted revenue from the future sale of the Thompson Center for the most recent (still out-of-balance) budget, so it's going to be demolished eventually.

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 1:10 AM
1st Ward

^ If it leads to a potential supertall, I think it would be worth its demolition. Supposedly the city would rezone that spot for very high density, and no height limits. Honestly, its probably the best use for the land, considering it sits on one of the busiest CTA stations with connections to 6 of the 8 lines in the system.

Its a nice building otherwise, with a breathtaking atrium. Too bad the state let it rot.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:16 AM
Chicago

November 8, 2017

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ If it leads to a potential supertall, I think it would be worth its demolition. Supposedly the city would rezone that spot for very high density, and no height limits. Honestly, its probably the best use for the land, considering it sits on one of the busiest CTA stations with connections to 6 of the 8 lines in the system.

Its a nice building otherwise, with a breathtaking atrium. Too bad the state let it rot.
Zero chance they build a supertall. Something as underwhelming as Block 37 is more likely. Don't get your hopes up.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 10:51 AM

Can anyone explain how they get these Cat/Deere machines out of the hole they are digging after the hole is dug? I figured the rolling crain could lift them out and take the weight. It's one one of those things I've always wondered about but have not ever had the opportunity to see. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at you Harry. Haha.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

^You got it

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive