HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Someone in a local neighborhood group claims a "source" said Bristol Farms is moving their "Newfound Market" brand in (fast casual food hall + grocery). No idea how credible. There's a couple strange grocery store window decals on the ground floor on 7th but otherwise seems dead still.

My "Oceanwide watch" update:

The shorter crane had some movement last week for couple days, and today there's the sound of workers on the tall tower with the taller crane doing something. There's also a "road closed" warning on 11th street starting today thru the 7th or 8th... no clue what's going on. Maybe construction company reclaiming more materials/equipment like they did a year or so ago with the third crane.
Interesting…I might walk over in a few minutes…if not, I’ll definitely check it out tomorrow.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:13 AM

Quote:

metropolismag.com

Could another piece of esteemed architecture finally pull together this mismatched Acropolis and make it the kind of civic destination so desperately envisioned by late philanthropist Eli Broad and city planners?

Spoiler alert: Nope.

Gehry Partners’ pixellated, mixed-use complex for Related Companies and China Harbour Engineering Company Ltd.—one 45-story residential tower named The Grand by Gehry, one 25-story hotel with 205 rooms run by the high-end Conrad Hotel atop a retail podium—is a $1 billion, beige, value-engineered attempt that not only fails at reconciling Grand Avenue but is also an eyesore that devalues Gehry’s previous masterwork. German philosopher Theodor Adorno once wrote “In the history of art, late works are the catastrophes,” as an assessment of failed undertakings and, interestingly, of those where in the ruins of past successes lies fresh genius. The Grand by Gehry is trapped, not freed by its signature.

As of September, some 164,000 square feet of destination dining and retail between the two towers was under construction and awaiting tenants. Gehry got his start in Victor Gruen’s office, so malls are in the firm’s DNA, but the shopping experience was changing even before the pandemic. The Grand’s two stories of restaurants and shops, connected by exterior escalators and elevated pathways, seems both convoluted and undistinguished in a market that keeps having to up the ante to attract customers.
Like it or hate it...& a variety of SSPers have been unimpressed.... everyone is a critic.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:12 AM

Just wondering, did the Olympia project get cancelled or has it just been delayed?i haven't heard news on it since 2019, but still is approved and it's permit hasn't been canceled right?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk28 View Post
Just wondering, did the Olympia project get cancelled or has it just been delayed?i haven't heard news on it since 2019, but still is approved and it's permit hasn't been canceled right?
Some of these things take time…sometimes a lot of time. Despite some of the nay sayers on this forum (mainly one troll who many of us have blocked), until you see it’s been cancelled, you just have to wait and be patient. They were saying that the Brookfield Tower and also the Mitsui Fudosan Tower would never be built. And both of those towers look to be complete in 2023.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Interesting…I might walk over in a few minutes…if not, I’ll definitely check it out tomorrow.
Went by on a run yesterday, it's definitely a bristol farms promo decal on that building. We'll see if they actually build it out...

Some crane work going on at Oceanwide today. Looks like they're removing big heavy crap. Two cranes are too far apart to dismantle one another, but maybe the big one is coming down? Had to head to the office so won't be snooping the rest of the day probably...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:18 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Some of these things take time…sometimes a lot of time. Despite some of the nay sayers on this forum (mainly one troll who many of us have blocked), until you see it’s been cancelled, you just have to wait and be patient. They were saying that the Brookfield Tower and also the Mitsui Fudosan Tower would never be built. And both of those towers look to be complete in 2023.
Metropolis was in development limbo for 25 years. Until there is an official statement or release, there is always a chance.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Metropolis was in development limbo for 25 years. Until there is an official statement or release, there is always a chance.
Sooooooo true!!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 6:53 PM

Can confirm the tallest crane is coming done from Oceanwide.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 7:56 PM

^ that doesn't sound ideal....based on this, filmed not too long ago, cranes still seem to be needed to complete work on the towers. So one of the lienholders is using confiscation of a crane as a way of getting some money back?

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 7:59 PM

these are some nice before & after images of changes mainly to dtla...

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:17 PM
Ascension

I can only assume that the crane coming down at Oceanwide is because they no longer need it. The buildings are essentially complete externally.

I'll miss the cranes at Oceanwide. They made DTLA look like it was under a perennial state of construction as well as Pacifica from Cyberpunk 2077.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:
I'll miss the cranes at Oceanwide. They made DTLA look like it was under a perennial state of construction as well as Pacifica from Cyberpunk 2077.
I never thought of it that way, yeah the cranes will be missed especially if they are planning on leaving it in limbo for many years to come. They probably in some unquantifiable way created a little more competition for some nearby to build taller.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 5:46 AM

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 1:48 AM

Quote:
I can only assume that the crane coming down at Oceanwide is because they no longer need it. The buildings are essentially complete externally.

I can't imagine that a company so close to financial ruin would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year extra to rent cranes that they didn't need.

I look forward to seeing the Onni crane at Olympic/Hill. They finally put the overhead scaffolding up along Hill Street so maybe it's coming soon.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I can't imagine that a company so close to financial ruin would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars per year extra to rent cranes that they didn't need.

I look forward to seeing the Onni crane at Olympic/Hill. They finally put the overhead scaffolding up along Hill Street so maybe it's coming soon.
I don’t know for sure how it works…but it looks like all the cement for the foundation is done.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 6:48 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Came across this on Reddit. I'm not afraid of heights but I think I'd pee myself up there:

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Lucas museum coming along nicely...im surprised they're saying 2025, given how much looks complete.

Also, that park to the south of the museum looks to be pretty nice.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 7:45 PM

I realize this is more of a transit issue than a devlpt one, but hotels in dtla do depend on the ease of guests getting from places like LAX to dt. As I was watching this other vid from youtuber john kay, I was wondering why the MTA is going to make tourists...who likely will be carrying some luggage....stroll from the k line to the expo line....much less the upcoming people mover at LAX not connecting directly to the k line? Maybe I'm missing something.

Video Link

laist.com

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 7:53 PM

^My guess would be because you have a subterranean line connecting with an above ground line. Based on the vid you posted, the walk doesn't look overly onerous for someone visiting LA... even with a luggage bag in tow. When I've visited other cities in Asia and Europe, it isn't beyond reason to be expected to have a walk of that distance when transferring lines. It's just a little awkward because the E and K don't share a station, per se, but nothing too bad in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 8:31 PM

^ that's good to know...things like the lucas museum, fixing up expo park, the ongoing improvements in dtla, the arts dist, south pk, depend heavily on the creative class. Ppl, including day trippers & tourists, interested in museums, hotels, concerts, sports events, will be helped by better transit...as long as it's kept safe & clean.

Video Link

In the vid on the lucas museum, the land first shown in the drone shot of the parking lots directly next to the coliseum should have been replaced yrs ago. As for a large parking lot across Fig to the east of expo pk, this hopefully will be UC asap...

la.urbanize.com

Quote:
Last month, updated renderings were revealed for the Fig, a proposed mixed-use complex across the street from the new Banc of California Stadium in Exposition Park. A draft environmental impact report now makes it official: Irvine-based developer Spectrum Group has eliminated a proposed high-rise tower from the project.

The proposed development, slated for a 4.4-acre site at 3900 S. Figueroa Street, will now consist of three separate buildings featuring a hotel, student housing and mixed-income apartments. A full buildout of the project would include 298 hotel rooms, 222 units of student housing and 186 apartments - 82 of which would be restricted to households earning 80 percent or less than the area median income. The student housing would feature studio, one-, two- and four-bedroom floor plans, while the mixed-income housing would offer studio, one- and two-bedroom dwellings Plans also call for more than 40,000 square feet of ground-level retail and creative office space across the property

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations