HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 2:00 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Interesting. But only on this particular block. Crazy! They need to scrap the rest of her dumb law and expand this amendment citywide.
I find her entire bill ill-intentioned, but yes, from a pragmatic standpoint, I agree with this part. It would help avoid another Jewelers Row debacle.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 2:10 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Bleh, EWR is horrible. I've heard the recently redeveloped part is nice (I guess that might be Terminal C, but I forget) but I haven't been yet. PHL is fine, especially the food and shopping options. Biggest problems IMO are the terminals (except A West) are a bit too crowded and there's not enough seating options. And outside the airports control, but would be nice to see other international airlines with service here (I think we're down to just British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Lufthansa, which is honestly just sort of depressing), and some more lounge options.

FLL is also terrible lol, I hope PHL continues to stay well above them.
Yes, United is Terminal C and it's overall very nice, including the new huge United lounge and their fancy Polaris (first class) lounge.

Terminals A & B are awful, but Terminal B is undergoing an overhaul to also serve United.

And yes, PHL needs to be more competitive with carrier and route offerings, that is my only big complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Kinda wish that Tinicum was absorbed into Philly. Would make the airport expansion a bit easier. A west and B are nice, wish the baggage was faster. It's a shamed that American stopped investing in PHL.
American touts PHL as a major hub, but I guess it doesn't always feel that way? I never fly American or out of PHL.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:50 PM

Project at Former McDonald’s Will Fill a South Broad Gap

Current site:

Quote:
Thanks to an Inquirer article from Monday, we know that long-time Philly developer Carl Dranoff is planning a by-right project at the former McDonald’s site, consisting of 85 units over ground floor retail. While this 85K sqft project will make a huge difference in closing the chasm between the Washington Ave. corridor to the south and Center City to the north, we find ourselves disappointed that this will seemingly only involve the privately owned site at the corner of Broad & Carpenter and won’t include the other vacant lots nearby. Certainly, this project will represent a great upgrade at this corner, but it still feels like a missed opportunity. Perhaps though, this will be the first of many dominoes that will fall in the area, and we’ll see the other lots fill in sometime soon, along with other underutilized properties to the north.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...outh-broad-gap

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:54 PM

40th & Walnut McDonald’s Getting New Digs with an Office Addition

Current site:

Project renderings:

Quote:
Let’s add the McDonald’s at 3935 Walnut St. to the list now, as this low-rise building that’s stood on Penn‘s campus for 50 some years is in store for some Super Sizing. There has been an incredible amount of development in the greater University City area as of late, and it appears that there’s more to come.

According to an article from the Daily Pennsylvanian, Penn plans to tear down the old school McDonald’s and replace it with a six-story office building…with a ground floor McDonald’s. This 50K sqft building will start construction late this year or early next year, with plans to wrap things up by fall 2024. Mosaic Development Partners are the lead developers for this project.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ffice-addition

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:05 PM

Historic Grays Ferry Church to Become 37 Apartments

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/histori...37-apartments/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:09 PM

Permits Issued For 1613 Cecil B. Moore Avenue In Cecil B. Moore/Temple Area

Current site:

Project elevation:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a mixed-use building located at 1613 Cecil B. Moore Avenue in Cecil B. Moore, North Philadelphia. Upon completion, the new building will stand four stories tall, with a commercial space on the ground floor. The rest of the structure will hold 13 residential units. Cadre Design is the architectural firm behind the project.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/09/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:11 PM

Renovation And Vertical Extension Work Starts At 141-43 North 4th Street In Old City

Project elevation:

Current progress:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philadelphia YIMBY has revealed that renovation and vertical extension work has begun at 141-43 North 4th Street in Old City. Designed by Designblendz, the development will rise from a through-block site that stretches from North 4th to North Orianna streets and will involve renovation of a historic four-story, 18,160-square-foot building on 4th Street and the construction of a six-story, 19,406-square-foot addition at Orianna Street. The development will span 37,566 square feet and feature 36 residential units as well 13 off-site accessory parking spaces and ten bicycle spaces. Permits list John G. Traver Co. Inc. as the owner, Pioneer Construction and Development Corporation as the contractor, and a construction cost of $2.86 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/09/reno...-old-city.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:13 PM

Permits Issued For 3308 Fairmount Avenue In Mantua

Current site:

Project elevation:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a six-story, twenty-unit apartment building at 3308 Fairmount Avenue (full address 3308-12 Fairmount Avenue) in Mantua, West Philadelphia. The development will rise on the south side of the block between Mantua Avenue and North 34th Street. Designed by Haverford Square Designs, the structure will span 15,124 square feet and will feature elevator service, roof decks, and parking for three cars and four bicycles. Permits list Haverford Sq GC as the general contractor.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:15 PM

Permits Issued For 6808 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Project renderings:

Current site:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a mixed-use structure at 6808 Ridge Avenue in Roxborough, Northwest Philadelphia. Designed by Ingram/Sageser Architects, the building will rise five stories tall, with commercial space and parking on the ground floor, and 80 residential units on the upper floors. In total, the structure will span 84,691 square feet of space, and cost an estimated $4 million to build.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:17 PM

Construction Nearly Complete At 1701 North 2nd Street on the border of Norris Square and Olde Kensington

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
Philadelphia YIMBY has recently visited the site of a six-story mixed-use building that is nearing completion at 1701 North 2nd Street in Olde Kensington. Designed by Stuart Rosenberg Architects and developed by Brick Capital, the loft-styled structure, situated at the northeast corner of 2nd Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue, rises 70 feet tall to the main roof and 84 feet to the top of the elevator bulkhead. The development will feature commercial space on the ground floor, a roof deck, and parking for 23 cars. Permits list Bohler Engineering as a designer and City Center Construction Corp. as the contractor. The construction cost is specified at $10 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/09/cons...ensington.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 4:26 PM

More apartments proposed for Manayunk’s Venice Island a year after it was swamped by Hurricane Ida

Current site:

Site plans:

Quote:
An apartment complex containing 213 new units could be coming to Venice Island, a flood-prone spit of land between the Schuylkill and the Manayunk Canal.

The project, by Rock Urban Development, would almost double the number of homes on Venice Island. It includes two four-story apartment dwellings connected by pedestrian bridges to a two-story amenity building on Main Street Manayunk that doubles as an emergency exit. The site borders the Manayunk Bridge Trail, immediately to the north.
Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220923.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post

Hooo boy. This is an example of an idea that, on paper, sounds good but 100% depends on execution. They need to be cleaned several times daily and monitored. I have zero trust in this administration to effectively manage this program. I wish we could have nice things like this in society, but leave it to mentally ill homeless people and/or dope fiends to absolutely ruin this. We shall see.
These see through ones in Japan are great

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/19/90384...-offer-privacy

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 6:48 PM
Chris

^ The project at 1701 North 2nd Street looks great, but I wonder how the white stucco-ish wall will hold up over time?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
^ The project at 1701 North 2nd Street looks great, but I wonder how the white stucco-ish wall will hold up over time?
Not sure. Love the contrast design and the fact that they used brick instead of metal panels but white brick on the inside portion would have been nice to see. Oh well, considering the location it’s hard to complain.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
These see through ones in Japan are great

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/19/90384...-offer-privacy
Woah - that’s a unique idea. I love that they’re colorful too. Seems like they light up at night too. I wonder how much that tech costs and what the upkeep costs are.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 11:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Historic Grays Ferry Church to Become 37 Apartments

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/histori...37-apartments/
Details on founding of John Chambers Memorial Presbyterian Church by John Wanamaker, one of several Presbyterian churches he backed:
John Wanamaker, Vol. 2, Herbert Adams Gibbons, Copyright 1926 Rodman Wanamaker, Harper & Brothers Publishers, Chapter 20, p.340
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.../n383/mode/1up

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Woah - that’s a unique idea. I love that they’re colorful too. Seems like they light up at night too. I wonder how much that tech costs and what the upkeep costs are.
I don't have an explanation for it, but we can't have nice things in Philly (or American in general) before they get trashed. I feel like they don't have that problem in certain countries, like Japan and S. Korea. Maybe I'm generalizing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:04 AM
Philly Rising Up!

All you got to do is check social media...it's the wild wild west...or witness it for yourself, like the other day I saw for myself, people racing down the center turning lane in certain stretches of city ave or people throwing trash out there vehicle as they are driving...and these were nice cars but I guess their mama never told them not to liter in public or not be irresponsible or reckless and endanger others...I mean these were grown adults...SMH and just sad...so along the lines of not respecting public or private property.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:10 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
All you got to do is check social media...it's the wild wild west...or witness it for yourself, like the other day I saw for myself, people racing down the center turning lane in certain stretches of city ave or people throwing trash out there vehicle as they are driving...and these were nice cars but I guess their mama never told them not to liter in public or not be irresponsible or reckless and endanger others...I mean these were grown adults...SMH and just sad...so along the lines of not respecting public or private property.
The main reason this Tristate area has the multitude of issues it does is because of the standards & mentality it has.

Mentality, Morals and a way of being are taught, so when we look & see trashy blocks, cars being driven erratically on a busy city street, crimes & the KOP Line being built over the Roosevelt Subway. Some of these actions were taught or are viewed as ok so it keeps happening & will continue to happen unless a higher level of responsibility & respect is taught. Of course these issues multiple when you have generations of repressed or held back communities.

Once people hold people to higher standards we will see better outcomes. And this goes across the board for everyone in the world. Not just Philadelphia.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Permits Issued For 6808 Ridge Avenue In Roxborough

Project renderings:
Quote:
Ingram/Sageser Architects
Oh my god, make them stop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development