HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 12:00 AM

“Beloved brand” lol it’s literally just cheap shitty bread, stop kidding yourself

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 7:07 PM

I empathise with having to euthanize a business but upkeep is key.
I can not stand in judgement as to why they did not upkeep baking equipments as covid affected different businesses differently.
One can suppose their old style business model and profits etc.. is outdated?
I will say that "City Bread", Natural etc are just as well known for their fresh, delicious breads, especially their rye & french.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Nov 18, 2022 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Ah the old son-of-the-owner phenomenon. How many successful businesses have been run into the ground by the entitled offspring of the owners?
usually it's the first generation that makes the money, the second that spends it, and the third that loses it

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:32 PM

This article was posted in the other Manitoba and Saskatchewan developments thread regarding Snow Lake and Lithium mining. The article also included a proposed Lithium processing facility for Winnipeg. Hopefully this will increase investments in the electric vehicle industry in Winnipeg. We already have a strong manufacturing base in this city and hopefully this complements the industry well.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...thium-hot-spot

I posted the full article there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 6:13 PM

Chip & Pepper, the ex-Winnipeg, now California guys have bought KUB Bread. Sounds like it's the recipe and the brand they bought and will outsource the making of it to small bakeries.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 7:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Well, it's good someone came up with the dough. KUB really kneaded that.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Well, it's good someone came up with the dough. KUB really kneaded that.
I havent heard such a good Dad joke since last year

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
This article was posted in the other Manitoba and Saskatchewan developments thread regarding Snow Lake and Lithium mining. The article also included a proposed Lithium processing facility for Winnipeg. Hopefully this will increase investments in the electric vehicle industry in Winnipeg. We already have a strong manufacturing base in this city and hopefully this complements the industry well.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...thium-hot-spot

I posted the full article there.

I cant access the article myself, but have been keeping an eye on the demand of Lithium, and it is only going to explode (pun not intended) over the next few years. Manitoba is well poised to be in a strong position for the future. Good news for the province and the country as a whole.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I cant access the article myself, but have been keeping an eye on the demand of Lithium, and it is only going to explode (pun not intended) over the next few years. Manitoba is well poised to be in a strong position for the future. Good news for the province and the country as a whole.
agreed, but the environmentalists (extreme ones) are very against developing more mines and they quite often get big $ backing them and rallying the youth / extremists.

local lithium vs bringing it in from China, which is better for the environment? don't think we need lithium, then EV, phones, etc all need it

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
great quote here "The province took part in the signing of a memorandum of understanding between Snow Lake Lithium and LG Energy Solutions who are looking at the possibility of building a large-scale lithium processing plant in Winnipeg. There are currently no such facilities in North America and would require close to a $1 billion investment."

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
agreed, but the environmentalists (extreme ones) are very against developing more mines and they quite often get big $ backing them and rallying the youth / extremists.

local lithium vs bringing it in from China, which is better for the environment? don't think we need lithium, then EV, phones, etc all need it
Yea I mean in an ideal world we shouldn’t extract resources for profit and preserve our minerals. However in a capitalist world those environmentalists are just denying reality. Manitoba is probably one of the most ideal places in the entire planet not only to find resources for electric vehicles, but we should be looking at manufacturing them as well considering our grid is all renewable energy.

Manitoba has huge lithium and nickel reserves as well as notable cobalt, manganese, and graphite reserves. All which are essential for EV batteries. With the right investment this could single-handedly erase our province’s deficits and can be a huge part in balancing our budget or even creating a surplus.

The best part is that both parties are all-in on mining investment because for the NDP a lot of the mining jobs would go to help boost our Indigenous population should they work in these lithium mines.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:28 PM

^^^ 100% agreed!

I think Selkirk getting a $400m, 300 person Solar Mfg plant only aids in bringing awareness to this industry.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:30 PM

The key in all this is royalties back to the people of Manitoba. Jobs are great. But letting mostly people from elsewhere extract resources for cheap is not the best.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The key in all this is royalties back to the people of Manitoba. Jobs are great. But letting mostly people from elsewhere extract resources for cheap is not the best.
That's what our entire country is built on!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Chip & Pepper, the ex-Winnipeg, now California guys have bought KUB Bread. Sounds like it's the recipe and the brand they bought and will outsource the making of it to small bakeries.
This sounds like what the old owners should have down. Just took a small cut on the name. Clearly they weren't good at running a business. They made it even more clear when they shut the doors without attempting any alternatives.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Yea I mean in an ideal world we shouldn’t extract resources for profit and preserve our minerals. However in a capitalist world those environmentalists are just denying reality. Manitoba is probably one of the most ideal places in the entire planet not only to find resources for electric vehicles, but we should be looking at manufacturing them as well considering our grid is all renewable energy.

Manitoba has huge lithium and nickel reserves as well as notable cobalt, manganese, and graphite reserves. All which are essential for EV batteries. With the right investment this could single-handedly erase our province’s deficits and can be a huge part in balancing our budget or even creating a surplus.

The best part is that both parties are all-in on mining investment because for the NDP a lot of the mining jobs would go to help boost our Indigenous population should they work in these lithium mines.

Also, even though there is damage done to the environment, what is better, Industries that support internal combustion engines or industries that support electric engines?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 2:47 PM

At CES, there is a concept for a Canadian made electric car. Project arrow. Made mainly from Canadian produced parts. They are expecting to build 50,000 units at start and be for sale in the next few years.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2023/01/06/c...buts-ces-2023/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
At CES, there is a concept for a Canadian made electric car. Project arrow. Made mainly from Canadian produced parts. They are expecting to build 50,000 units at start and be for sale in the next few years.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2023/01/06/c...buts-ces-2023/
That's great and maybe some will buy simply because it's Canadian made but with so many proven options at cheaper pricing, it may be hard to compete.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:24 PM

Ya we'll see how it works out. I am interested in EV's for my next vehicle in a few years time. But don't really want to pay $80k for something. Might be interested if it actually comes in in at $60k since it's Canadian. But ya, there are cheaper options that would suit my needs right now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Ya we'll see how it works out. I am interested in EV's for my next vehicle in a few years time. But don't really want to pay $80k for something. Might be interested if it actually comes in in at $60k since it's Canadian. But ya, there are cheaper options that would suit my needs right now.
I'm in the same boat, I can't justify spending $15k more just because it's EV. I'm driving a 2014 Fusion so I'm on the fence about what to do. I have a deposit down for an Equinox EV which supposedly starts under $40k. I'm guessing AWD will be around $45k. That probably won't be out until next year though and who knows what prices will actually be at at that time. I think in 2-3 years is when EVs will be even more common and prices that make sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan