HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder if there will be an appreciable number of people using the LAX route to connect to points west, either Hawaii, Australia/NZ or Asia? It could provide an alternative to YVR for leisure travellers.
I suspect that comes down to who Westjet codeshares with and how timing works. LAX is middling for ease of connection because of terminal layout/hassle of clearing US customs just to transit to a third country or back to Canada.

Hawaii: Sure, because one can clear US customs in Winnipeg and there's a steady flow of traffic through the day.

Aus-NZ/Asia: Probably some, because Vancouver is still at the edge of service for a lot of Asian carriers. LAX is the major gateway into North America, so there's a lot more choice/selection for airlines and destinations.

Given how aggregators like Google Flights work, I could see the more competitive nature of airfare onwards from LAX luring a fair number of people.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:42 PM

^ Yeah, I don't think it will lure many business travellers except possibly those headed to Oceania since it wouldn't add much time if any, but it could be a big draw for leisure travellers. If you can save $500 on an airfare to Kuala Lumpur or wherever by going via LAX instead of YVR, a lot of vacationers would consider it - or at least I would, ha.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:48 PM

Quote:
^ Yeah, I don't think it will lure many business travellers except possibly those headed to Oceania since it wouldn't add much time if any, but it could be a big draw for leisure travellers. If you can save $500 on an airfare to Kuala Lumpur or wherever by going via LAX instead of YVR, a lot of vacationers would consider it - or at least I would, ha.
There's a part of me that would even enjoy a couple of days in sunny Los Angeles as a mini-layover on my journey.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
There's a part of me that would even enjoy a couple of days in sunny Los Angeles as a mini-layover on my journey.
Yeah, same here... in the past I've had vacations with mini overnight stops in YVR on the way overseas (thanks, Aeroplan), but I've always found it to be enjoyable. I would definitely do the same with LAX.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:09 PM

It's good to see that the WS strategy seems to be working well for YWG so far. With WS drawing back YYZ I see YWG getting more connecting passengers from YXE/YQR/YQT and I definitely expect to see YUL back.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 1:46 AM

SWOOP NW22 INTERNATIONAL NETWORK EXPANSIONS

Swoop on Monday 12DEC22 announced further network expansion for Northern winter 2022/23 season, including the addition 7 new international routes. These seasonal new routes are scheduled until 30APR23 the latest for Northern winter season.

Winnipeg – Puerto Vallarta eff 14DEC22 2 weekly (3 weekly 22JAN23 – 04FEB23. Scheduled until 08APR23)

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221214-wonw22int

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 9:58 AM

Air Canada inflight entertainment has new features now. Good for Sports fans & the 1's that enjoys the news world wide✅!!

Air Canada has upped their game with exclusive new in-flight features.

With the holiday season upon us, thousands will be travelling across the country to see their loved ones. And if you’re someone who tends to get super bored on flights, we’ve got good news.

Thanks to Air Canada, flying just got a whole lot better — especially for sports fans. The airline has recently launched Live TV on select domestic flights, which means passengers will no longer miss out on exciting live-action sports games while in the air.

With six live channels in both English and French, passengers will also be able to keep up-to-date with live national news onboard.

TV programming consists of TSN 1, TSN 2, and RDS, which will deliver comprehensive live sports coverage for marquee sports events including soccer, hockey, basketball, football, baseball, and more; CTV News Channel for 24-hour worldwide breaking news; LCN, Quebec’s all-news station; and BNN Bloomberg for all things new in the business and finance world.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/air-...atures-live-tv

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:14 PM

WestJet cancels all "Non-Calgary" long haul routes. Everything flows through Calgary only.
https://simpleflying.com/westjet-cut...europe-routes/

15 Europe routes have been cut
None of the following are now served (or soon won't be). Some were exciting and somewhat 'experimental' and more point-to-point focused, on which WestJet is clearly now far less interested as it refocuses on its Calgary hub.

Calgary-Amsterdam (ends March 24th, 2023)
Edmonton-London Gatwick
Halifax-Dublin
Halifax-Glasgow
Halifax-London Gatwick
Halifax-Paris CDG
St John's-Dublin
St John's-London Gatwick
Toronto-Barcelona
Toronto-Dublin
Toronto-Edinburgh
Toronto-Glasgow
Toronto-London Gatwick
Vancouver-London Gatwick
Winnipeg-London Gatwick

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:20 PM

No shocker there. I don't think anyone was realistically expecting WS to bring back YWG-LGW's barely-there-in-the-first-place service.

Still waiting on someone to bring back YWG-ORD, though. I find it kind of crazy that this hasn't happened yet.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 7:16 AM

Agreed, would be nice to eventually get a non-stop to Europe; but a non-stop flight to Chicago and maybe NYC will hopefully come soon.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
WestJet cancels all "Non-Calgary" long haul routes. Everything flows through Calgary only.
https://simpleflying.com/westjet-cut...europe-routes/

15 Europe routes have been cut
None of the following are now served (or soon won't be). Some were exciting and somewhat 'experimental' and more point-to-point focused, on which WestJet is clearly now far less interested as it refocuses on its Calgary hub.

Calgary-Amsterdam (ends March 24th, 2023)
Edmonton-London Gatwick
Halifax-Dublin
Halifax-Glasgow
Halifax-London Gatwick
Halifax-Paris CDG
St John's-Dublin
St John's-London Gatwick
Toronto-Barcelona
Toronto-Dublin
Toronto-Edinburgh
Toronto-Glasgow
Toronto-London Gatwick
Vancouver-London Gatwick
Winnipeg-London Gatwick
Not too surprising & makes sense for them to base all 7 Boeing 787's at its main hub Calgary YYC to do most the international flying there.

Of those cuts mentioned above YYC - Amsterdam AMS was just (seasonal) service WS.
Although YYC still has nonstop flights on KLM to AMS.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:41 PM

It's interesting that WS has basically surrendered when it comes to the eastern half of the country.

Also, I wonder how much longer the 787s will even last, at least for international service? WS occupies this weird space where their remaining international routes are not really a full-scale full service business-oriented offering like AC and the big US legacy carriers, but it is not really a discount leisure oriented service like Transat.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 7:18 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
No shocker there. I don't think anyone was realistically expecting WS to bring back YWG-LGW's barely-there-in-the-first-place service.

Still waiting on someone to bring back YWG-ORD, though. I find it kind of crazy that this hasn't happened yet.
Both Chicago and Denver were nice flights to have. Although I would prefer to have multiple departures to Chicago in a day versus like one flight a day to a bunch of different cities. I think this is the issue with the Minneapolis flight. Really nice to have the route, but its utility is somewhat knee-capped by only having one departure a day.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Both Chicago and Denver were nice flights to have. Although I would prefer to have multiple departures to Chicago in a day versus like one flight a day to a bunch of different cities. I think this is the issue with the Minneapolis flight. Really nice to have the route, but its utility is somewhat knee-capped by only having one departure a day.
Delta used to fly that route multiple times a day pre-pandemic with regional jets augmenting the A320, but from what I understand, pilot shortages have cut that back to the one A320 a day. Delta seems pretty committed the route, I'd imagine they will increase frequencies when they can... especially now that DL doesn't have UA's ORD/DEN service cutting into their action.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 7:55 PM

The WS Halifax and St John's flights to Europe go back to when they only ran a 737 fleet and they could hit EU destinations from there but basically no where else in the country. They basically used those cities as trans-Atlantic hubs.

As for YGW-LGW definitely and experimental route and wouldn't be surprising to learn the YWG airport authority had given some concessions to make it happen in the first place. Best guess is WS had hoped to attract trans-Atlantic travelers from the prairies to have them connect outwards from LGW only that didn't really happen.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:19 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The WS Halifax and St John's flights to Europe go back to when they only ran a 737 fleet and they could hit EU destinations from there but basically no where else in the country. They basically used those cities as trans-Atlantic hubs.

As for YGW-LGW definitely and experimental route and wouldn't be surprising to learn the YWG airport authority had given some concessions to make it happen in the first place. Best guess is WS had hoped to attract trans-Atlantic travelers from the prairies to have them connect outwards from LGW only that didn't really happen.
Yeah I think if it was an experiment it was half baked. They clearly were not invested in the success of the route. You send one plane once per week and it doesn't really serve much utility. If they were serious there would have been like three a week. Because they would never even have anything remotely close to people connecting in YWG the route was destined to fail. If it were a regular service that allowed people to bypass connecting anywhere in North America, I could see it working, but we'd probably have to feed it with some out of town connections too. Don't think any airline would elevate YWG to the point of having that kind of utility.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Delta used to fly that route multiple times a day pre-pandemic with regional jets augmenting the A320, but from what I understand, pilot shortages have cut that back to the one A320 a day. Delta seems pretty committed the route, I'd imagine they will increase frequencies when they can... especially now that DL doesn't have UA's ORD/DEN service cutting into their action.
Delta is suppose to add a second Airbus in March 2023 if the crew shortages work itself out

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Perhaps with WS refocusing on western Canada and having a codeshare with DL a workaround for the DL pilot shortage might be to have WS operate some or all those YWG-MSP flights, perhaps with their Dash8 planes? Definitely a potential way around some of the challenges DL has with which routes and airframes they can offer. The challenge there is MSP could then really cut into the YWG-YYC-onward traffic and instead be YWG-MSP-onward. I know personally if I was looking for a transatlantic flight I would much rather fly from MSP than YYC, YYZ or YUL. Coming home through MSP was a dream compared to YYZ or YYC. Never been to YUL but with hearing it is a cramped airport not sure I really want to see it.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Perhaps with WS refocusing on western Canada and having a codeshare with DL a workaround for the DL pilot shortage might be to have WS operate some or all those YWG-MSP flights, perhaps with their Dash8 planes? Definitely a potential way around some of the challenges DL has with which routes and airframes they can offer. The challenge there is MSP could then really cut into the YWG-YYC-onward traffic and instead be YWG-MSP-onward. I know personally if I was looking for a transatlantic flight I would much rather fly from MSP than YYC, YYZ or YUL. Coming home through MSP was a dream compared to YYZ or YYC. Never been to YUL but with hearing it is a cramped airport not sure I really want to see it.
There was rumors that WestJet would share the route with Delta out of YWG but there was also maybe talk that Encore would do YQR and YXE to MSP but who knows.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 3:48 AM

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221227-wsns23ywglax

WestJet during the weekend of 24DEC22’s schedule update extended Winnipeg – Los Angeles service into summer 2023 season, becoming a year-round route. The airline previously filed schedule for this route until 30APR23 inclusive. From 01MAY23, the airline continues to operate this route 3 times weekly, with 737-700/-800/MAX 8 aircraft.

WS1314 YWG0700 – 0834LAX 73H 4
WS1314 YWG0700 – 0834LAX 7M8 7
WS1314 YWG0700 – 0834LAX 73W 2

WS1315 LAX0935 – 1505YWG 73W 2
WS1315 LAX0935 – 1505YWG 73H 4
WS1315 LAX0935 – 1505YWG 7M8 7

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan