HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I don’t think we’d ever refer to a highway as “the 39” on the Prairies. We used to say “the Number 1 highway” etc., for the major low-numbered highways in Manitoba but generally it was just “Highway 39” or “PTH 39” sometimes, in more official communications, such as government reports and press releases. I don’t know what the practice is in Sask, though.
"Highway 39" would be most common, occasionally just "39". e.g. "How do you go to Minot from Regina?" "I take 33 then 47, then 39 from Estevan which turns into US 52." You will hear "the Ring Road" for our freeway occasionally, but never "the Idylwyld" in Saskatoon (at least, I've never heard it).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:52 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

So is it 4 lanes or 2+1 on highways 6 & 39 between Regina & Estevan ?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:23 PM

In Manitoba, people use 59 all the time, for hwy 59. Locally some people do use 7 for hwy 7 from where a lot of my family lives.

But it's not like in the states where it's widespread, take the 5 or take the 10.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:29 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
So is it 4 lanes or 2+1 on highways 6 & 39 between Regina & Estevan ?
I think 4 lanes are definitely out of the question at this point.

For those of you that wonder what I meant by 2+1, just think alternating passing lanes. (K technically a 2+1 configuration is much fancier than this: it’s got median barriers and possibly even interchanges, on top of alternating passing lanes. Anyway, I should have just said alternating passing lanes right from the start...)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I think 4 lanes are definitely out of the question at this point.

For those of you that wonder what I meant by 2+1, just think alternating passing lanes. (K technically a 2+1 configuration is much fancier than this: it’s got median barriers and possibly even interchanges, on top of alternating passing lanes. Anyway, I should have just said alternating passing lanes right from the start...)
I assume it will be periodic passing lanes like they did on number 10 between Balgonie and Fort Qu'appelle and not a constant 2+1 arrangement. Or should I say The 10.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 8:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I assume it will be periodic passing lanes like they did on number 10 between Balgonie and Fort Qu'appelle and not a constant 2+1 arrangement.
Okay, still better than nothing. That’s just like Yellowhead then.
Quote:
Or should I say The 10.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:30 PM

Does anyone know if the current work going on near Corrine and a few spots between Corrine and Regina is in relation to the twinning project?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOO AHH OGEMA View Post
Does anyone know if the current work going on near Corrine and a few spots between Corrine and Regina is in relation to the twinning project?
The work near Rowatt, where they removed trees and filled in dugouts and sloughs is related to twinning the highway in the future. Dept of highways acquired the land in the Rowatt area in June.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
The work near Rowatt, where they removed trees and filled in dugouts and sloughs is related to twinning the highway in the future. Dept of highways acquired the land in the Rowatt area in June.
Thanks for that. They appear to be doing the same thing near Corrine. They've removed trees around dug outs and started filling them in. Also stock piled a very tall pile of dirt.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOO AHH OGEMA View Post
Thanks for that. They appear to be doing the same thing near Corrine. They've removed trees around dug outs and started filling them in. Also stock piled a very tall pile of dirt.

https://www.producer.com/news/farmer...n-dugout-fill/

This article talks about the work near Corinne, it also mentions a possible 2023 start for the twinning projects.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 7:00 PM

Dirt work has begun South of Regina to start twinning the highway. Excavators and rock trucks have arrived in the last day to start moving dirt.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 7:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It may be unnecessary now, but I hope that space has been futureproofed to convert Regina Bypass @ 6 to be a freeway-to-freeway interchange.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan