HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Regina is a grown up Brandon, or 1980s London? I really liked both cities, although Saskatoon impressed me more. North end Saskatoon is very agricultural, like North Kamloops. Saskatoon overall reminds me of (1950s?) Toronto: vibrant downtown, residential streetcar suburbs with commercial strips. Brandon and Lethbridge very similar: grid downtown with great housing stock.
Brandon and Lethbridge aren't that similar. Lethbridge is bigger (like twice the size), its university is too (and is located much further from the core), has totally different topography (dry, barren, hilly vs flat parkland). The only area they have some superficial similarity is in what you describe, which makes me wonder if your experience with both is through Google Maps. The vibe of Downtown Lethbridge is pretty different and it has a lot more going on. DT Lethbridge is anchored by the city's only mall and all the amenities that avails, DT Brandon has a dead mall akin to Portage Place. Lethbridge's core is busier and has more shops, restaurants, bars, and amenities. Brandon's has some impressive architecture but is pretty run-down by comparison. Lethbridge's economy is a lot healthier and the area is growing much faster too.

Quote:
Winnipeg's Canadian twin is Edmonton: capital city ambition, ragged dumpy downtown, endless tree-lined residential neighborhoods, the river etc.

I also was surprised by Swift Current - the Revelstoke of the Prairies?
As someone extremely familiar with both Edmonton and Winnipeg, having lived in both, I do agree that there's a lot of similarities between the two, but not really in the ways that you describe and I would never describe either as twins. I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time in either because even for myself, I found the similarities greater initially, although they still felt distinctive in their own right. You don't get the weird doppelganger stuff that Edmonton and Calgary have.

What exactly is capital city ambition? Because I don't think either city has it. Edmonton has some ambition, but Winnipeg is probably the least ambitious city west of Ontario. They don't think big there, or at least they haven't since the Perimeter opened. Nearly every idea feels watered down and dull compared to what comes out of Alberta's cities, if there is even an idea at all.

I don't think Edmonton's ambition is related to being the capital. In fact, the city had about 25 unambitious years until about a dozen years ago. It was arguably in this period that Edmonton and Winnipeg were most alike, through the 1990s and 2000s. Edmonton's ambition, at least since the Second World War, comes from it being in Alberta and the bold culture that permeates (though is significantly stronger in Calgary) due to the oil industry. You see Alberta thinking a lot more boldly after the Leduc No. 1 discovery in '47 and by the 1970s it seemed like both Calgary and Edmonton were on crack due to the oil boom. Peace River could've been Alberta's capital and Edmonton still would've held the Commonwealth Games, built WEM, and erected the tallest building outside of Toronto.

Edmonton tries, but it often misses the mark. Winnipeg doesn't even try and feels content maintaining its status quo. I think that's the way I'd sum up the status of "ambition" in either city.

I wouldn't call either city's downtown a dump (ok, maybe I would call Edmonton's that as hyperbole for how far it's fallen through covid), but you're right to criticize them. Neither is particularly vibrant, despite recent investments. But they look very different. There is no Exchange District in Edmonton and the kinds of boutiques and such it offers doesn't really have a Downtown Edmonton equivalent, although 104th Street sure tries. There's no Forks, Broadway, Union Station, or Riverwalk equivalent either in Downtown Edmonton. Portage Place is a bit better than City Centre in terms of dead downtown malls, but it's close and 5 years ago, City Centre was doing better out of the two. Edmonton's Portage & Main equivalent, Jasper and 101st, is open to pedestrians and both of Downtown Winnipeg's main roads make Jasper Ave look like a quaint cobblestone street in a small French city. Edmonton's new downtown arena seems to be doing more than Winnipeg's, despite covid.

Winnipeg is smaller and feels it too. There just aren't as many amenities as Edmonton has and its palpable when living there. Winnipeg has the Shield and Edmonton has the Rockies for recreational opportunities, but the things people do are quite different. People don't hike in Manitoba, they're on a boat in one of the thousands of lakes the province has. Despite being and feeling smaller, there's a very obvious historic grandeur to Winnipeg that Edmonton lacks. Winnipeg is significantly older than everything west of it excluding cities that start with a V on the coast. Edmonton is incredibly new looking and feeling by comparison, which is probably one of its weaknesses, whereas Winnipeg's oldness is probably its greatest asset. Regardless, this fundamental difference in urbanism makes both cities pretty distinct.

The youth and art scenes are a bit different too. Winnipeg feels more "alternative" and is full of wannabe '90s indie rockers. It's not like these kinds of people don't exist in Edmonton, but their social spaces aren't as prominent and the vibe doesn't pervade as strongly. I mean, Alberta's premier indie music festival isn't even in Edmonton, it's in Calgary. I think Edmonton had more of this in the past, but I was too young to be involved in it. The young people in Edmonton seem less punk now, and more aspirational, leaning towards glossier things. It's little things. In Edmonton, trendy ice cream places like Kind and Yelo'd have become a big deal for 20-somethings come spring whereas in Winnipeg you have classic ice cream institutions like Sargent Sundae and Bridge Drive-In. There's still trendy-bougie ice cream spots in Winnipeg, but they don't figure as prominently. These differences are subtle and not something you easily pick up on, but there seems to be a stronger bourgeois element in Edmonton that influences the local culture, including youth and arts. Politically, even though Edmonton is the more leftist hub for Alberta, Winnipeg is more leftist. Both have seen an uptick in radical, grassroots organizing, but it seems much more developed in Winnipeg. There's also a lot more postering and graffiti for political messaging than in Edmonton.

Winnipeg's transportation planning is abysmal, even if its infill tends to look nicer. There's no highways, so the main streets are turned into the worst stroads you've ever seen. The city is a bunch of different municipalities rammed together with their own street layouts, so nothing really meshes like Edmonton's giant and roomy grid. Winnipeg has probably the worst public transit system of the "major" Canadian cities (though I have no experience with Quebec City's system) and there's not much attempt to make it better. Edmonton already has an LRT system, which it's rapidly expanding, is looking into BRT, and the buses generally run on time. Also despite all the rivers and creeks, Winnipeg seriously lacks bridges.

And the rivers? I mean, they both have rivers, but so does Calgary and Montreal, doesn't mean those two are tied at the hip. I get that both Edmonton and Winnipeg have rivers play heavily into the identity of the city and are major sites of recreation, but the way its done is totally different. Winnipeg is flatter than a pancake and so there's no generous river valley like Edmonton has, which is a bigger deal than the river itself there. But this flatness means you have the Forks, the River Walk, and generally a more accessible riverfront than Edmonton could ever hope to get. Winnipeg also has like 4 rivers (5 if you wanna include the floodway) to Edmonton's 1. Winnipeg does have a lot of big parks along the Red and Assiniboine, but its not this uninterrupted "ribbon of green" with extensive trails like Edmonton's river valley.

Winnipeg is older and smaller, Edmonton is bigger and newer. Edmonton has ambition whereas Winnipeg is content with the status quo. Winnipeg is more "alternative" whereas Edmonton is more of a misguided "aspirational" place. There's still a lot of similarities and vibes and whatnot, but because of all these differences, they could never be seen as twins.

Last edited by ue; Nov 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:14 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Back to the OP:

Banjo Bowl = Banjo Bowl

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:22 AM

Winnipeg is very "mid-continent", yet firmly in the West, as there's no "midwest" in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:26 AM

Gainer the Gopher= Buzz and Boomer

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:31 AM

"Experience Regina" = " You've got it Park Pontiac"

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Winnipeg is very "mid-continent", yet firmly in the West, as there's no "midwest" in Canada.
Correct, although Winnipeggers do have a weird affinity for associating themselves with the Midwest. And to be fair, due to the influence of the Dakotas, Minnesota, Illinois, etc there are some Midwestern vibes, not unlike parts of deep Southwestern Ontario, but it's still functionally a Prairie city. Not Great Plains. Not Midwest. Prairie.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:41 AM

The Prairies are a coherent Canadian region, yes.

And the Midwest makes sense in the US context, with the Great Lakes and rust belt flowing seamlessly into the farm belt. The corn belt running through the "I" states is its heart.

But in Canada, it obviously makes little sense to put Windsor and Winnipeg in the same region even if both have some "midwestern" characteristics.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Winnipeg is in a league of its own. It needs no twin, no competition, as the battle would be lost before it began.

Hell, it’s right there in the name: Winnipeg. In the manliest of provinces: Manitoba.

Really, what can one say? First ring road: Winnipeg. Team names: the Jets and Blue Bombers are an awesome Air Force duo for naming teams. What can one say for the rest of the country’s pithy team names? Blue Jays and Maple Leafs get sucked into Jets’ engines, losers. Floods? I think not, fools who live in places that worry about that. Red River Floodway means we tell where the river to go, not fret that it rises. Electricity: Manitoba has more hydro than Niagara Falls. Take that Ontario! Rail: CN and CP - both decided to make Winnipeg their gateway to the West, not fight it out.

As you see, it was truly not a place to be equalled, much less have a twin. Brandon is just something to let Western Manitoba feel better, like a Participation ribbon.

Winnipeg for the win!
This was great. Winnipeg for the win. Lol.

Personally I think the thing that separates Winnipeg the most from other cities in western Canada is St. Boniface. It’s a small community, but incredibly tight knit, welcoming and supportive. Franco manitobaines are very proud of their history in the province, l’université is the oldest school in western Canada. Le cercle moliére is the oldest theatre company in Canada. Celebrating its 100th anniversary in a couple years. Are there other cities in western Canada where you can live and work and play in French?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Back to the OP:

Banjo Bowl = Banjo Bowl
Not to be pedantic, but the Labour Day Classic is Regina's equivalent to the Banjo Bowl

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:14 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not to be pedantic, but the Labour Day Classic is Regina's equivalent to the Banjo Bowl

Broadway Avenue is College Avenue here (at least for the downtown sections of both.) Nicely treed center median roads. I like both a lot.

Pembina Highway is definitely Albert Street South or Albert Street North. Same soul-killing stroad.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Haha poor Brandon. Do Winnipeg people dismiss Brandon as a tumble-weed hick town or is it largely seen as the province's legit 2nd city?
Brandon is pretty small. It has some trappings of an urban area including distinct inner city vs suburban areas, large employers, a university, a high-profile sports team (WHL Wheat Kings), an airport, but for the most part Brandon hates urbanity... even though it has inherited a nice small city downtown, Brandonites hate it and do absolutely nothing to improve it, and it has been declining for pretty well the last 50+ years. Nothing excites Brandon more than a new big box store or chain restaurant opening up on the edge of town.

That said, there are certain parts of it that feel city-like and it's a bit of a mind-bender, where you feel dizzy and say to yourself "I am in a city... in Manitoba... but it's not Winnipeg... so weird..."

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Brandon and Lethbridge aren't that similar. Lethbridge is bigger (like twice the size), its university is too (and is located much further from the core), has totally different topography (dry, barren, hilly vs flat parkland). The only area they have some superficial similarity is in what you describe, which makes me wonder if your experience with both is through Google Maps. The vibe of Downtown Lethbridge is pretty different and it has a lot more going on. DT Lethbridge is anchored by the city's only mall and all the amenities that avails, DT Brandon has a dead mall akin to Portage Place. Lethbridge's core is busier and has more shops, restaurants, bars, and amenities. Brandon's has some impressive architecture but is pretty run-down by comparison. Lethbridge's economy is a lot healthier and the area is growing much faster too.

As someone extremely familiar with both Edmonton and Winnipeg, having lived in both, I do agree that there's a lot of similarities between the two, but not really in the ways that you describe and I would never describe either as twins. I'm guessing you haven't spent a lot of time in either because even for myself, I found the similarities greater initially, although they still felt distinctive in their own right. You don't get the weird doppelganger stuff that Edmonton and Calgary have.

What exactly is capital city ambition? Because I don't think either city has it. Edmonton has some ambition, but Winnipeg is probably the least ambitious city west of Ontario. They don't think big there, or at least they haven't since the Perimeter opened. Nearly every idea feels watered down and dull compared to what comes out of Alberta's cities, if there is even an idea at all.

I don't think Edmonton's ambition is related to being the capital. In fact, the city had about 25 unambitious years until about a dozen years ago. It was arguably in this period that Edmonton and Winnipeg were most alike, through the 1990s and 2000s. Edmonton's ambition, at least since the Second World War, comes from it being in Alberta and the bold culture that permeates (though is significantly stronger in Calgary) due to the oil industry. You see Alberta thinking a lot more boldly after the Leduc No. 1 discovery in '47 and by the 1970s it seemed like both Calgary and Edmonton were on crack due to the oil boom. Peace River could've been Alberta's capital and Edmonton still would've held the Commonwealth Games, built WEM, and erected the tallest building outside of Toronto.

Edmonton tries, but it often misses the mark. Winnipeg doesn't even try and feels content maintaining its status quo. I think that's the way I'd sum up the status of "ambition" in either city.

I wouldn't call either city's downtown a dump (ok, maybe I would call Edmonton's that as hyperbole for how far it's fallen through covid), but you're right to criticize them. Neither is particularly vibrant, despite recent investments. But they look very different. There is no Exchange District in Edmonton and the kinds of boutiques and such it offers doesn't really have a Downtown Edmonton equivalent, although 104th Street sure tries. There's no Forks, Broadway, Union Station, or Riverwalk equivalent either in Downtown Edmonton. Portage Place is a bit better than City Centre in terms of dead downtown malls, but it's close and 5 years ago, City Centre was doing better out of the two. Edmonton's Portage & Main equivalent, Jasper and 101st, is open to pedestrians and both of Downtown Winnipeg's main roads make Jasper Ave look like a quaint cobblestone street in a small French city. Edmonton's new downtown arena seems to be doing more than Winnipeg's, though.

Winnipeg is smaller and feels it too. There just aren't as many amenities as Edmonton has and its palpable when living there. Winnipeg has the Shield and Edmonton has the Rockies for recreational opportunities, but the things people do are quite different. People don't hike in Manitoba, they're on a boat in one of the thousands of lakes the province has. Despite being and feeling smaller, there's a very obvious historic grandeur to Winnipeg that Edmonton lacks. Winnipeg is significantly older than everything west of it excluding cities that start with a V on the coast. Edmonton is incredibly new looking and feeling by comparison, which is probably one of its weaknesses, whereas Winnipeg's oldness is probably its greatest asset. Regardless, this fundamental difference in urbanism makes both cities pretty distinct. The art scenes are more divergent than ever in both cities too. Winnipeg is indie rockers wishing it was 1994 and radical grassroots activists. It's both more humble and more pretentious at the same time, but it's a lot more hipster-y and alternative than Edmonton these days. I think the main division is money here. Edmonton's art scene was grungier too, but it feels a lot more yuppie-influenced these days, aspiring more to Calgary and Vancouver than being a bigger, newer Winnipeg.

Winnipeg's transportation planning is abysmal, even if its infill tends to look nicer. There's no highways, so the main streets are turned into the worst stroads you've ever seen. The city is a bunch of different municipalities rammed together with their own street layouts, so nothing really meshes like Edmonton's giant and roomy grid. Winnipeg has probably the worst public transit system of the "major" Canadian cities (though I have no experience with Quebec City's system) and there's not much attempt to make it better. Edmonton already has an LRT system, which it's rapidly expanding, is looking into BRT, and the buses generally run on time. Also despite all the rivers and creeks, Winnipeg seriously lacks bridges.

The rivers? I mean, they both have rivers, but so does Calgary and Montreal, doesn't mean those two are tied at the hip. I get that both Edmonton and Winnipeg have rivers play heavily into the identity of the city and are major sites of recreation, but the way its done is totally different. Winnipeg is flatter than a pancake and so there's no generous river valley like Edmonton has, which is a bigger deal than the river itself there. But this flatness means you have the Forks, the River Walk, and generally a more accessible riverfront than Edmonton could ever hope to get. Winnipeg also has like 4 rivers (5 if you wanna include the floodway) to Edmonton's 1. Winnipeg does have a lot of big parks along the Red and Assiniboine, but its not this uninterrupted "ribbon of green" with extensive trails like Edmonton's river valley.

Winnipeg is older and smaller, Edmonton is bigger and newer. Edmonton has ambition whereas Winnipeg is content with the status quo. Winnipeg is more "alternative" whereas Edmonton is more of a misguided "aspirational". There's still a lot of similarities and vibes and whatnot, but because of all these differences, they could never be seen as twins.
Some good points here. Not sure I would agree with all of it, but overall a good assessment. I think there are a lot of similarities between Edmonton and Winnipeg, but they are more cultural than city form and infrastructure. Edmonton and Saskatoon are probably have the closest parallels on that front. They are also probably the most similar in terms of geography and vegetation. As it's been said by others Edmonton and Calgary have a lot of similarities generally but I also find in terms of parallel areas/infrastructure they are pretty different, but you see the impacts of being the same size(ish) and being in the same province. There are some projects like the Jubilee Auditoriums or hospitals in both cities where the same design was used in each.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post

This is so depressingly true.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:47 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
This is so depressingly true.
Sleepy government town. I've lived in lots of them and Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg and Ottawa to some extent are all that thing. There is a pace of life in the government centers that is different than Calgary or Saskatoon.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Interesting. I sort of see Regina as a mini-Winnipeg, .
I was just about to say the samething.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:31 PM
Look at me!

I lived in Edmonton for a few years during my childhood. Edmonton was always "the city of champions". It was proudly written on their banner when you enter the city from the airport. During my last visit 3 years ago I noticed that the banner changed from city of champions to "Alberta's capital city". True story.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I lived in Edmonton for a few years during my childhood. Edmonton was always "the city of champions". It was proudly written on their banner when you enter the city from the airport. During my last visit 3 years ago I noticed that the banner changed from city of champions to "Alberta's capital city". True story.
Kinda depressing to keep that slogan when you haven't won a major sporting event in decades. I think they actually voted to remove it because it was being mocked. The new sign should have said "Edmonton: City of Mullets". Or perhaps "Edmonton: A City" or even better "Edmonton: Stuccoland".

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Kinda depressing to keep that slogan when you haven't won a major sporting event in decades. I think they actually voted to remove it because it was being mocked. The new sign should have said "Edmonton: City of Mullets". Or perhaps "Edmonton: A City" or even better "Edmonton: Stuccoland".

Calgarians always have to throw shade on Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Brandon is pretty small. It has some trappings of an urban area including distinct inner city vs suburban areas, large employers, a university, a high-profile sports team (WHL Wheat Kings), an airport, but for the most part Brandon hates urbanity... even though it has inherited a nice small city downtown, Brandonites hate it and do absolutely nothing to improve it, and it has been declining for pretty well the last 50+ years. Nothing excites Brandon more than a new big box store or chain restaurant opening up on the edge of town.

That said, there are certain parts of it that feel city-like and it's a bit of a mind-bender, where you feel dizzy and say to yourself "I am in a city... in Manitoba... but it's not Winnipeg... so weird..."
I was in Downtown Brandon last month. There is so much opportunity there but nobody, especially in City Council has the vision to make it better.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Kinda depressing to keep that slogan when you haven't won a major sporting event in decades. I think they actually voted to remove that slogan.
The city of champions slogan was actually derived out of a recognition of the response to the 1987 tornado, not sports. But that became less clear over time, especially since it was during an era of sporting success.

They intentionally removed the slogan a few years ago because it was stale , doesn't resonate, and most people didn't even know what it was from anymore. But not without some controversy, a certain part of the population was/is pretty attached to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada