HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:16 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Why is the 407 10 lanes wide in some places? Is there a higher cost-width ratio on any other highways in the world? I get the impression from most other toll highways is that they're ideally 4-8 lanes wide
It’s expanded as needed so as to avoid congestion because it makes a profit. Probably at its max in the central areas now, and I have seen traffic jams.

It’s expensive as fuck but I’ve also gladly paid for the sake of my sanity.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:25 AM

407 is 12 lanes wide between the 400 and 427.

And yes, it’s now fully built out between the 401 and 404 with 10-12 lanes. Further east and west of that still has space to be widened.

It would kill me to daily commute on it, but the 407 is a god send for recreational trips. Worth every penny, and it’s a lot of pennies.

I use it from Hamilton regularly, I can get to Mississauga from Hamilton in 15 minutes in the middle of rush hour, or to Vaughan on my way to cottage country in 40 minutes. Without it that would be maybe 1.5hrs.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:35 AM

An affordable 407 is just another 401. Plus the 407 wouldn't carry enough additional traffic to really alleviate the 401. There would just be 2 jammed highways instead of 1. As it stands now, the 407 is an almost bullet proof way of making it across the GTA without issue. I'd go as far to say it's functioning exactly as intended, as a bypass of sorts.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
An affordable 407 is just another 401. Plus the 407 wouldn't carry enough additional traffic to really alleviate the 401. There would just be 2 jammed highways instead of 1. As it stands now, the 407 is an almost bullet proof way of making it across the GTA without issue. I'd go as far to say it's functioning exactly as intended, as a bypass of sorts.
Indeed, I've rarely used the 401 since the 407 became available. Even better since it was extended eastward.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I guess I am too cheap to cough up what I feel is an exorbitant fee for crossing Toronto. Sometimes you can save a lot of time, but $50 bucks is $50 bucks.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:22 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'm lucky because I've used the 407 several times and never been billed. The signs say they'll charge out of province plates but I guess they're bluffing. I agree that it's excellent, but then again, I think highway tolls and congestion charges are a good thing in general. While I didn't get charges, my intention when using it was that I would be billed and that it would be worth it to avoid congestion delays and frustration.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I guess I am too cheap to cough up what I feel is an exorbitant fee for crossing Toronto. Sometimes you can save a lot of time, but $50 bucks is $50 bucks.
FWIW, off-peak hours are a lot cheaper. I occasionally use it on weekends from the 401 to Brock Rd, the furtherest east you can go, and it's only $25.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:20 PM
I am the law!

Toronto doesn't have any toll bridges so, spending upwards of $50 bucks (never been billed that) to keep my sanity ... whatever

I'm like 25 kilometres south of the 407 and it's hell just to get out of the neighbourhood so, I'm an infrequent user.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm lucky because I've used the 407 several times and never been billed. The signs say they'll charge out of province plates but I guess they're bluffing. I agree that it's excellent, but then again, I think highway tolls and congestion charges are a good thing in general. While I didn't get charges, my intention when using it was that I would be billed and that it would be worth it to avoid congestion delays and frustration.
Same. I've only been through twice, and not got billed either time.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Same. I've only been through twice, and not got billed either time.
I drove it once from somewhere in Markham to west of the airport westbound when it was free and it isn't a candidate for a Scenic Routes designation. It is like paying for the view on the QEW from Hamilton to Mississauga

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 3:29 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Good to hear! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I used the 407 from Pearson to Pickerng return to Yonge St. last week in a rental with Nova Scotia plates. It certainly was a quick trip in very light traffic in the late morning. Free is good!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada