HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:07 AM

This is Burlington Mall's viewing lounge. I guess they made the best out of an empty unit. I showed up in the evening though. Well after the day's games were done. I don't think the last row had the best view.

Best believe I took a pic with the Davies cutout. I pretended to grab his ass because his goal was so sexy. Everything about that goal was. The touch from Larin to bring it down, the ball in from Tajon and the finish by Phonzy. Very fitting that the first WC goal was scored by the guy who will turn out to be the Canadian GOAT.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 28, 2022 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Sorry, just not a fan of soccer. But I did watch both Canada games as I was obviously rooting for them. And now that Canada is out - I have no reason to watch any other games. Was hoping that I'd get to watch them in the next round.
I always default to England so might as well go back there, not that I've got any expectations for them beyond Leafs-esque perennial disappointment.

Will probably be somewhat tuned out without the pub patio culture that usually defines World Cup/Euro here.

To be fair if I was shopping and saw any random match on in a lounge like the above ^ I'd watch it and consider chucking a couple $ on the betting app to make it interesting.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Countries that have been to the World Cup with no goals:
  • Canada, 4GP
  • Trinidad & Tobago, 3GP
  • China, 3GP
  • Congo DR, 3GP
  • Indonesia (Netherlands India), 1GP
Apparently there is a country with 5 games played and no goals scored. They said so on TSN yesterday. They didn't specify which country though.

Anyone know which country?

Edit: It's Bolivia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivi...FIFA_World_Cup

El Salvador is another interesting statistic.

They've been to 2 world cups, and they lost all 6 matches, 5 of them with no goals scored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Sal...FIFA_World_Cup

So let's try to save face and at least beat Morocco in the last game. If we bow out with 3 points, we can at least hold our heads up high on the way out.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Nov 28, 2022 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
I disagree.

Japan is not a nothing team. They’re currently ranked 24th in the world, and have historically been as high as 9th in the FIFA rankings. They’ve made the round of 16 in 3 of the last 5 World Cups. That shows they have the skill and character needed to be a threat.

Canada and Saudi Arabia have historically been nothing teams, yes. Not Japan.
Fair enough, I'll retract my dismissal of Japan.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 5:53 AM

Rumours that La Liga's Sevilla FC are looking at Tajon Buchanan.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:55 PM

Last edited by elly63; Nov 30, 2022 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:24 PM
Community Guy

Not a great start for our boys, but Morocco seems pumped and on another level today.

Here's hoping we can take some good lessons away from this Cup and be ready for home soil!

GO CANADA GO

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:27 PM

Guess we'll have to wait another 4 years before we see our first WC win

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:41 PM
Community Guy

Goooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:42 PM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:01 PM
Community Guy

A good second effort and close calls near FT.

Proud of these guys and hope we can take this to another level over the next four years.

Fully on the Australian bandwagon now!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 8:28 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A good second effort and close calls near FT.

Proud of these guys and hope we can take this to another level over the next four years.

Fully on the Australian bandwagon now!
I'm going to say that I am disappointed. I fault Herdman for this poor performance, especially given that Costa Rica managed to grab points in their group and they were the 4th placed team! Every other CONCACAF team grabbed points and had respectable showings in each of their groups. The cockiness that this team showed coming in was surely their downfall. That and lack of finishing.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:51 PM
Community Guy

Lack of finish and multiple minor errors that highlight the inexperience of the team as a whole.

That comes with time.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 12:15 AM

Canada may have had zero points and we're all disappointed but they weren't far off from having 2 or more. What if Phonzy scored the penalty? What if Borjan didn't have that howler of a clearance today? Such are the fine margins in tournament football. Three games and you're out. If they played an entire season against the WC teams, they'd win some games no doubt but that's not how tournaments work.

CR was 4th in CONCACAF and lost 7-0 to Spain but they beat Japan who beat Germany and Spain. But CR finishes last. CR also won a group with Italy and England 8 years ago. This is tournament football. And in tournaments, it shouldn't be too much of a shock when there are big upsets. Watch any league and you will see upsets happen where not a single player from that victorious team would make the bench let alone starting XI of the team they beat. Many City lost at home 19 days ago to Brentford.

Watching some of these upsets really hits home the fact that possession is not everything (ie. Spain et al). You can pass the ball all you like but half of those passes are back passes into your own half. Meanwhile, if the other team can finish their one or couple of their very few chances, they can win. That is football. There's so few chances in total that it often comes down to who actually finished them that day. And you can see lots of examples of $100m attackers get a chance and try to murder the ball into the goal and end up skying it when all they had to do was strike it firmly and not rocket it. Or just place it. And watch all the examples of guys hitting a volley up into row 53. It's like they never practice it. It's natural to just kick the ball that way when it's coming down but really you just need to delay your instinct half a second and then kick. You will be meeting the ball closer to the ground and the ball will be lower and closer to goal. I used to practice that even though I wasn't an attacker. It was just to test my theory.

Speaking of all that back passing, this is why I can't watch full games anymore. I feel like it happens way more often than in the past. I only watch like the last 15 minutes now. It's very frustrating to watch movement up the pitch and instead of crossing the ball in or even taking a long shot and seeing what happens, they just pass it back and then the next guy passes it back again. As the end of the game nears, then teams play with intensity and actually try to attack because one of them needs a goal. That is what I want to see.

Also, there's always big teams that bounce out early and underdogs that make deep runs. It really goes to show that for the big teams, in tournament football, it doesn't matter who your coach is as long as the coach has half a brain. As a matter of fact, having the big name coach with the ego and stubborness that can go along with that, actually hampers the team sometimes when it comes to selection or tactics. So much of it is luck too.

You can pick a random soccer fan and make him coach and get the same result or better in a tournament. Can also do worse, but probability says he will also do better sometimes. That's tournament football. So when Germany rewards Lowe with dumb ass contract extensions (unnecessarily rewarding the past) despite declining performance you have to shake your head. Now, the current German coach is Flick, who was a guy noboby heard of before he took over Bayern as interim coach and lead them to the only perfect Champions League campaign. Big names Ancelotti and Pep did not win the UCL before but no name Flick did. Also see Di Matteo winning the UCL with Chelsea first time when Jose couldn't. Lowe, the long time manager and Flick, the relative newcomer, both crash out of group stage in the last two WC's. Doesn't really matter who the coach is. Voller lead Germany to 2002 WC final but two years later he got knocked out in group stage without winning a game against Latvia, Netherlands and the Czechs.

Mancini lead Italy to a 37 game unbeaten streak and Euro glory. Then they finish behind Swizterland in WCQ and can't beat North Macedonia in the playoff. Argentina was on a 36 game streak and Copa title before they lost to the Saudis. That's tournament football!

Can anyone name the coaches from '94 semifinalists SWE and BLG? Or '98/'18 Crotia 3rd/2nd place teams? Or Greece's coach in Euro 2004 or Czech coach in Euro '96? Or the coaches from multiple Champions League teams that made final four runs with unfancied teams? But lots of people can name the big time coaches whose big time teams crashed out in the group stage of tournaments.

Last edited by megadude; Dec 2, 2022 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:10 AM

Canada's out so have to default to wife's side of the family. Or Engalnd as I have family over there. I also have some German heritage but so much for that!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Canada's out so have to default to wife's side of the family. Or Engalnd as I have family over there. I also have some German heritage but so much for that!
Once you accept that it's 'coming home' your life will improve.

England have always been my team but it can be annoying to be a fan of them when you get in a room full of scottish or welsh fans who have a vitriol for england and the fact that english fans and media harp on about winning the World Cup in 1966. If Scotland or Wales won the world cup they would gloat about it as well.

This has some good moments but is a bit cringey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubRBLAHjkTo

Not as good as the ultimate footie song from New Order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Once you accept that it's 'coming home' your life will improve.

England have always been my team but it can be annoying to be a fan of them when you get in a room full of scottish or welsh fans who have a vitriol for england and the fact that english fans and media harp on about winning the World Cup in 1966. If Scotland or Wales won the world cup they would gloat about it as well.

This has some good moments but is a bit cringey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubRBLAHjkTo

Not as good as the ultimate footie song from New Order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA

I'm still bitter about last year's final when England really could have taken charge after the early goal, but like so many other coaches, Southgate decided to play differently after that instead of just continuing with what was working well. See what Sven did with England after taking the lead on France in 2004. Park the bus and let France dominate possession in the England half for the rest of the game.

World in Motion is so catchy it's more than a football song. On my playlist any day any time. New Order is my favourite band afterall.

SCO used to produce so many great players but they really haven't accomplished anything. I can't recall reading about them making a deep run. But they can rightly criticize anyone who lives off that '66 WC. Like a Leafs fan celebrating all those cups that were won when there were only 6 teams and unfair territorial rule.

Wales can give some jabs to those English people too considering they are tiny and made a SF run in 2016. Meanwhile, at that point, ENG had only been to a SF in a tournament twice since '68 ('90 and '96 IIRC).

Check out this ball I got for 5 bucks this summer. If ENG can win something, then I can put it on display under the rear windshield in my car or something. It's a very pretty ball and I haven't actually kicked it while outside for fear of marking it up.

Last edited by megadude; Jan 2, 2023 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 4:18 PM

Here's your new desktop background.

High res photo can be pulled from Canada Soccer's Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadaSoc...496335/photo/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadaSoc...496335/photo/1

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:02 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Canada may have had zero points and we're all disappointed but they weren't far off from having 2 or more. What if Phonzy scored the penalty? What if Borjan didn't have that howler of a clearance today? Such are the fine margins in tournament football. Three games and you're out. If they played an entire season against the WC teams, they'd win some games no doubt but that's not how tournaments work.

CR was 4th in CONCACAF and lost 7-0 to Spain but they beat Japan who beat Germany and Spain. But CR finishes last. CR also won a group with Italy and England 8 years ago. This is tournament football. And in tournaments, it shouldn't be too much of a shock when there are big upsets. Watch any league and you will see upsets happen where not a single player from that victorious team would make the bench let alone starting XI of the team they beat. Many City lost at home 19 days ago to Brentford.

Watching some of these upsets really hits home the fact that possession is not everything (ie. Spain et al). You can pass the ball all you like but half of those passes are back passes into your own half. Meanwhile, if the other team can finish their one or couple of their very few chances, they can win. That is football. There's so few chances in total that it often comes down to who actually finished them that day. And you can see lots of examples of $100m attackers get a chance and try to murder the ball into the goal and end up skying it when all they had to do was strike it firmly and not rocket it. Or just place it. And watch all the examples of guys hitting a volley up into row 53. It's like they never practice it. It's natural to just kick the ball that way when it's coming down but really you just need to delay your instinct half a second and then kick. You will be meeting the ball closer to the ground and the ball will be lower and closer to goal. I used to practice that even though I wasn't an attacker. It was just to test my theory.

Speaking of all that back passing, this is why I can't watch full games anymore. I feel like it happens way more often than in the past. I only watch like the last 15 minutes now. It's very frustrating to watch movement up the pitch and instead of crossing the ball in or even taking a long shot and seeing what happens, they just pass it back and then the next guy passes it back again. As the end of the game nears, then teams play with intensity and actually try to attack because one of them needs a goal. That is what I want to see.

Also, there's always big teams that bounce out early and underdogs that make deep runs. It really goes to show that for the big teams, in tournament football, it doesn't matter who your coach is as long as the coach has half a brain. As a matter of fact, having the big name coach with the ego and stubborness that can go along with that, actually hampers the team sometimes when it comes to selection or tactics. So much of it is luck too.

You can pick a random soccer fan and make him coach and get the same result or better in a tournament. Can also do worse, but probability says he will also do better sometimes. That's tournament football. So when Germany rewards Lowe with dumb ass contract extensions (unnecessarily rewarding the past) despite declining performance you have to shake your head. Now, the current German coach is Flick, who was a guy noboby heard of before he took over Bayern as interim coach and lead them to the only perfect Champions League campaign. Big names Ancelotti and Pep did not win the UCL before but no name Flick did. Also see Di Matteo winning the UCL with Chelsea first time when Jose couldn't. Lowe, the long time manager and Flick, the relative newcomer, both crash out of group stage in the last two WC's. Doesn't really matter who the coach is. Voller lead Germany to 2002 WC final but two years later he got knocked out in group stage without winning a game against Latvia, Netherlands and the Czechs.

Mancini lead Italy to a 37 game unbeaten streak and Euro glory. Then they finish behind Swizterland in WCQ and can't beat North Macedonia in the playoff. Argentina was on a 36 game streak and Copa title before they lost to the Saudis. That's tournament football!

Can anyone name the coaches from '94 semifinalists SWE and BLG? Or '98/'18 Crotia 3rd/2nd place teams? Or Greece's coach in Euro 2004 or Czech coach in Euro '96? Or the coaches from multiple Champions League teams that made final four runs with unfancied teams? But lots of people can name the big time coaches whose big time teams crashed out in the group stage of tournaments.

This tournament has highlighted a bunch of developments in my mind:

1) Europe is no longer the hotbed for football talent. The rest of the world has caught up and now can more than compete with European giants. If they are going with additional teams for the 2026 WC, I would hope it is mostly allotted to Asia, Africa, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF.
2) An organized defense can definitely win games. You can have all the possession you want, but a quick counterattack with some talent up front can destroy a team; i.e. Japan, South Korea as examples. They don't maintain possession but play hard and are well organized.
3) Elegant football is a thing of the past.
4) South America is no longer as dominant as they once were. Only 4 teams made it in after Peru was defeated by the Aussies. In years past, the South American teams would have demolished an Asian or CONCACAF team. Outside of Brazil and Argentina, I would classify the South American teams as quite "meh."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:18 PM
Community Guy

Koreaaaaaaaaaa!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada