HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 7:42 PM

What will be the height of the hotel ?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 8:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
What will be the height of the hotel ?
Don't know. It will have about 200 rooms. We'll get the exact details and figures when the project goes through public review. The designs will likely be refined
before any conscruttion begins, but from the previous page, here's SHOP's take on it...

Quote:
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/47023

SHoP Architects with Lee Weintraub Landscape Architects designed the $230 million mixed-use outlet mall-entertainment-hotel complex at Harbor Commons
to relate to the surrounding Staten Island community while still providing a monumental presence on the waterfront and ferry landing. “At SHoP, we like taking
typilogies traditionally considered suburban or car-dominated and turning them inside out, making them urban in their experience” said Vishaan Chakrabarti,
principal at SHoP. “It’s not a mall in the traditional sense.”

A series of undulating ribbon-like green roof structures are arrayed at Harbor Commons that define three open-air pedestrian corridors through the site. Each ribbon
is punctuated by grids skylights where north-south passages connect the corridors. “It’s about organizing pedestrian corridors,” said Chakrabarti. “We looked to
create a contemporary version of an Italian hill town. The great hill towns have interesting spines.” Floor plates gradually shift as the site negotiates a 25-foot
grade change. Facade treatments and materials are still being determined, but will reflect the industrial waterfront site.

Chakrabarti said SHoP is exploring a signage and art program that will enliven the waterfront facade. “As day turns to night, the ribbon’s presence on the waterfront
is elevated as they start to glow.” Chakrabarti said. Whatever the final design, however, it “needs to be respectful of the waterfront.”

A closer up crop of some of the renderings...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 8:24 PM
New Yorker for life

A closer look at Harbor Commons...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 9:59 PM
Khurram Parvaz

I had no clue that the WORLD'S TALLEST FERRIS WHEEL was in full force until reading the newspaper today. WOW! Bloomberg might leave good last impression. Also 600+ feet, amazing!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Going to the ferry terminal is the same as being on the boat, it doesn't count. The City wants to get them out of the terminal. And it's not just tourists. The plans for shopping will get New Yorkers who wouldn't normally get out, there are a lot of people who like to ride just for the ride or something to do on a date. I've noticed it. Now there will be options at the other end. They can extend it further and take a ride up the wheel, or spend some time in the new shopping centers.
-
Yeah I got that the first time I read an article about it and before you mentioned it several times. I though it was fairly obvious that I was using the numbers that reach Staten Island to illustrate the tourist feed that will already be be tapped in to by the wheel. And yes, I fully understand that there will be more tourists taking the ferry now.

Quote:

-
Wow this thing is going to be huge.

The hotel should be a success. We already have unfortunate tourists who stay on the outer reaches of Staten Island thinking they got to stay in the city but at a cheaper price. I think they'd be happy to stay right by the ferry for a little bit more.

Having the rooftop park is an insanely cool idea, although I hope it isn't just a lawn as illustrated. Regardless, very cool. St.George doesn't have much in the way of parks, and I hope access to the park is easy for residents. I hope St.George becomes more of an activity hub, with better restaurants and maybe some live music venues for the people from the Metro that will come to shop or ride the wheel. Some sort of pedestrian bridge from the courthouse to the other side of Richmond Terrace would be good.

4.5 million visitors annually? Ambitious. I have my doubts, but I hope they're right. The hotel should help.

The upscale shopping should be good for the North Shore. Residents of the more-suburban South Shore tend to stay down there, and do their shopping in mid-island locales like the Mall or New Dorp. This will make St.George even more of a downtown for Staten Island.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 5:58 AM

Mayor Bloomberg announces World's biggest Ferris Wheel

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 2:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-Yeah I got that the first time I read an article about it and before you mentioned it several times. I though it was fairly obvious that I was using the numbers that reach Staten Island to illustrate the tourist feed that will already be be tapped in to by the wheel. And yes, I fully understand that there will be more tourists taking the ferry now.
I'm not sure what you do or don't understand, but I'll post what I feel I need to when necessary.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...171920481.html

SI Ferris Wheel Project has Big Backers
A private development group has been given approval to build the world's tallest Ferris wheel in Staten Island

By David B. Caruso
Sep 29, 2012

Quote:
The Ferris wheel may be a steam-age invention, but it is back in vogue in New York, which this week joined a long list of cities where urban planners or developers have bet that massive, modern versions of the old ride can serve as economic engines. After the towering London Eye debuted in early 2000, it seemed as if there was no end to the number of cities dreaming about stimulating tourism by building their own giant observation wheel, modeled after the one drawing 3.5 million riders per year in Britain. Re-creating London's success has proved to be daunting, with failed or postponed projects in a number of world-class cities. But the concept still has luster. Work is being done on two new massive wheels in Las Vegas. Seattle saw a smaller version open on its waterfront last spring.

Now, the biggest test yet will come in New York, where city officials announced Thursday that a private development group had been given approval to build the world's tallest Ferris wheel, at 625 feet, on the waterfront in Staten Island. The proposal, with a $230 million price tag, is audacious. Its success would rely on people being willing to travel miles by ferry across New York Harbor to a remote, mostly suburban part of the city that has always been an afterthought to visitors.

Yet the people behind the project, led by a newly formed company, New York Wheel, include some heavy hitters. The primary financial backers include Lloyd Goldman, a real estate baron who is part of the partnership redeveloping the World Trade Center site, and Joseph Nakash, a co-founder of the Jordache apparel company who now chairs an investment group that also owns airlines and real estate. The third primary investor is The Feil Organization, a real estate powerhouse that owns or manages commercial and residential properties across the country. New York Wheel CEO Richard Marin spent decades as an executive at Bankers Trust Company, then led a subsidiary at Bear Stearns until some black eyes related to bad bets on mortgage securities led to his departure in 2007. After that, he had a job turning around a distressed real estate portfolio as CEO of Africa Israel Investments.

Marin said the heft in the investment group shows it isn't just blindly following a trendy tourism gimmick. While the London wheel was "wildly successful," he isn't naive about the challenge in replicating its success. Marin said the company spent a year and a half in discussions with city officials about a possible site before agreeing on Staten Island.

Under the deal announced Thursday, New York Wheel will pay the city $1 million per year on a 99-year lease for a waterfront location within walking distance of the Staten Island Ferry terminal. Simultaneously, another development group will be building a 350,000-square-foot shopping mall and hotel on the opposite side of the terminal. The neighborhood is already home to a minor league baseball stadium. "It's a location and a site that I have come to love," Marin said.

Having the wheel next to the ferry, which is already ridden by an estimated 2 million tourists annually, will save the developers about $100 million in transportation infrastructure costs, he said. And, despite the distance from other tourist sites, the view of New York harbor will be thrilling and unique enough, he predicted, to draw the millions of riders needed to earn back the ride's high cost.

Several other giant Ferris wheels built in the past decade have been successful. China's 525-foot-tall Star of Nanchang and Singapore's 541-foot Singapore Flyer have both been a hit with tourists. In other places, planned wheels never got off the ground. A 682-foot-tall wheel that was supposed to open in Beijing in time for the 2008 Olympics was never completed. An earlier pioneer in the business, the Great Wheel Corp., had projects in the works to build similar wheels in Dubai, Berlin, Orlando, Fla., and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, but all were either suspended or collapsed. "These are expensive and difficult, big projects," said Wil Armstrong, the North American representative for Starneth, a new company, formed by veterans of the London Eye design and engineering team, that is providing the designs for the New York wheel. "Every city, it seems, of any size, has thought about it. But wanting to do and actually doing it is a large step."

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 5:01 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Some local residents believe the ferris wheel will be an eyesore, but I always thought the parking lot next to the ferry terminal was a big eyesore and waste of valuable space. Good to see what will eventually be developed there in a few years.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 9:31 PM

Why are the tiers of rgassy platforms....pointing the wrong way?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Some local residents believe the ferris wheel will be an eyesore
Some local residents believe anything new will be an eyesore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Why are the tiers of rgassy platforms....pointing the wrong way?
Most likely some of the eco-friendly design features. This complex will be good for the area in more ways than one.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:05 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Can some of you actually believe this wheel will be higher than many Manhattan highrises.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Can some of you actually believe this wheel will be higher than many Manhattan highrises.
It will be higher than the UN, and about half the height of the Empire State. That's pretty big, especially because there won't be anything nearly as big close by. It will be a landmark in all directions.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:53 PM

[QUOTE=jamesinclair;5849560]Why are the tiers of rgassy platforms....pointing the wrong way?

If they faced the Harbor the would be covered in shadow most of the day.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:32 PM
World Machine

[QUOTE=NYguy;5849949That's pretty big, especially because there won't be anything nearly as big close by.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's always the Verrazano - which is why I discount those that would characterize a structure of this size to be an eyesore. It's not as if nothing of comparable height is absent from the general vicinity.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 9:01 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Well the Verrazano goes 693 ft (both towers), so this is only a bit shorter.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 8:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Well, there's always the Verrazano - which is why I discount those that would characterize a structure of this size to be an eyesore. It's not as if nothing of comparable height is absent from the general vicinity.
The Verrazano is not close. But the towers of the Verrazano are a good indication of size.

http://www.silive.com/opinion/editor...ortends_a.html

The 'New York Wheel' portends a new era for Staten Island

September 30, 2012

Quote:
It’s hard to believe that just a few months ago, the idea of having the world’s largest observation wheel on the St. George waterfront seemed preposterous. Now, this once-far-fetched idea is well on its way to becoming reality. Mayor Michael Bloomberg made it official on Thursday as he formally announced the sweeping plans at the Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George. Starneth, the engineering firm that built the London Eye, will design and build what’s being called (for now) the New York Wheel. Construction is expected to begin in early 2014 with a grand opening planned for the end of 2015. The projected cost is $230 million, all coming from private investment. No government funding will be used.

But there’s much more to this project than just the New York Wheel. The mayor also announced that BFC Partners will build Harbor Commons, a 420,000-square-foot retail complex adjacent to the Wheel and ballpark. It will house up to 75 designer outlet stores and a 120,000-square-foot hotel, with a 15,000-square-foot banquet facility.

The city, which owns the property, will reap $2.5 million in rent annually from the leases to the developers. In all, the city’s Economic Development Corp. projects that these developments will bring in $480 million in private investment, create more than 1,200 construction jobs and 1,100 permanent jobs, and net nearly $100 million in new tax revenue for the city over the next 30 years.

As is to be expected, there are those who are skeptical about the plan, and mistakenly cite more mundane issues such as tolls, underfunding of libraries and senior centers and other more practical concerns in opposing to this imposing. But again, while the city will collect rent and taxes from the waterfront site, this is not a government project. The decision to build all this is being driven by private investors who see the opportunity to make a profit. That’s not taking funding away from government programs. Indeed, the project will generate more revenue with which government can pay for popular programs.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 9:35 PM

It's difficult to tell from the renderings - but you are actually going to see three distinct (JC, NYC, BK) skyline views from this thing. It's going to be the only place to see this effectively in NYC. I'm not a ferris wheel fan - but I think this will turn out to be amazing.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
It's difficult to tell from the renderings - but you are actually going to see three distinct (JC, NYC, BK) skyline views from this thing. It's going to be the only place to see this effectively in NYC. I'm not a ferris wheel fan - but I think this will turn out to be amazing.
Part of Midtown will be blocked, but nonetheless, St.George has an amazing view, and that exact location is the best because the ESB is visible to the left of downtown. A few blocks East of there, and it's blocked.

I took this picture from pretty much the same location as the wheel will be, just 40 feet or so back on Richmond Terrace. Obviously, without a visible WTC#1&4, it was taken over a year ago.

You should be able to see more of midtown as you get near the top of the loop.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 11:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Part of Midtown will be blocked, but nonetheless, St.George has an amazing view, and that exact location is the best because the ESB is visible to the left of downtown. A few blocks East of there, and it's blocked.
What you won't see in Midtown from that view is nothing major. All of the larger towers, like 432 Park, Tower Verre, etc. will be visible. As will all of the development on the west side. But that will be just a fraction of the view from the wheel, and not the most important view. The magnificence of the harbor in its entirety will be spread out for all to see. The complex nature of New York will be visible, something you don't get in the canyons of Manhattan. Even the hotel and the Harbor Commons will have nice views over the harbor, as will the rooftop park. And even from the photo you posted, you can see how the skylines of Brooklyn, Jersey City, and Manhattan from the west side to Downtown will blend. They can't build this fast enough for me.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/NYC_...ris_wheel.html

NYC Ferris wheel would tower over one planned for Meadowlands

September 27, 2012
BY JOHN BRENNAN

Quote:
New York Mayor Bloomberg’s announcement Thursday of plans to bring a giant Ferris wheel to the Staten Island waterfront, offering breathtaking views of Manhattan, should sound familiar to North Jerseyans. That’s because such a structure has been part of the plans for the project once known as Xanadu since 2003.

But there’s one difference, and it’s a big one: The Meadowlands version, once envisioned as the tallest in North America, would stand less than half as tall as the Staten Island wheel, which would be the largest in the world at 625 feet high. The proposed Jersey wheel gained a corporate sponsor in February 2008, when it became known as the Pepsi Globe. But that was before a worldwide economic collapse, the departure of a second Xanadu project developer, and a virtual shutdown in construction that’s lasted for more than three years.

Triple Five did not have a comment on the plans for the New York wheel, which would sit just 10 miles away from what is now called the American Dream Meadowlands site. “The observation wheel — with its views of New York as well as New Jersey — is one of the varied entertainment components, including the DreamWorks themed amusement and water parks, indoor ski and ice skating facilities, etc., that will make American Dream Meadowlands one of the most attractive destination points for local, regional, national and international visitors,” said American Dream spokesman Alan Marcus. Pepsi was said to have a 10-year naming rights deal as of 2008, but the company is not listed as a corporate sponsor on the website of American Dream Meadowlands. A spokesman for Pepsi could not be reached.

The Pepsi Globe was touted in 2008 as an “observation wheel” in the style of the London Eye, with 26 glass-enclosed capsules containing up to 20 riders apiece slowly taking 25 minutes to make a single revolution. The footings for the wheel are in place at American Dream. The Staten Island version would feature 36 capsules, with each holding up to 40 passengers. It would stand 84 feet higher than the current record-holder, the 541-foot Singapore Flyer. The site, adjacent to the Staten Island Yankees baseball home, near the Staten Island Ferry slip, also would add a 350,000 square foot retail complex and a 120,000-foot hotel, Bloomberg said.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
What you won't see in Midtown from that view is nothing major. All of the larger towers, like 432 Park, Tower Verre, etc. will be visible. As will all of the development on the west side. But that will be just a fraction of the view from the wheel, and not the most important view. The magnificence of the harbor in its entirety will be spread out for all to see. The complex nature of New York will be visible, something you don't get in the canyons of Manhattan. Even the hotel and the Harbor Commons will have nice views over the harbor, as will the rooftop park. And even from the photo you posted, you can see how the skylines of Brooklyn, Jersey City, and Manhattan from the west side to Downtown will blend. They can't build this fast enough for me.
-
The harbor, the bridges, the skyline. I will even enjoy looking at the massive industrial area that wraps around the Kill Van Kull. There really is no perfect vantage point in which to see New York, but Staten Island's view is right up there with Weehawken + Rooftops near Newtown Creek. And you are correct about the other projects underway, One57 is very visible and very prominent even from ground level in St.George.

Staten Island has some rather tall hills, the tallest being only 200 feet shorter than the wheel. As the passengers go further up, they'll be curious to see what pops up South over Todt Hill. It will be interesting for people from afar to get an idea of the area surrounding the urban core of our "global capital". I imagine if I were born elsewhere, I'd be pleasantly surprised to see steep tree-lined streets with old Victorian homes so close to the urban core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects