HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 12:16 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

In what should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone at this point, the guy who stabbed a random 16-year-old to death on the TTC the other day had a long history of violent offences and was on probation at the time: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rged-1.6793796

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:55 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I wonder what it'll take before we see some real change in mental health care in this country.

Further, at what point will we review this soft-on-crime approach, and figure out what the hell we're going to do moving forward. The amount of repeat offenders who keep upping the seriousness of their offences is getting out of hand. Every random act of violence in Vancouver is perpetrated by someone with dozens (sometimes over a hundred) of offences on their record.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 5:36 AM
Community Guy

It's incredible sad, frustrating, complex and infuriating.

We literally put the general public's safety secondary to those who put us at risk.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

It's a tricky situation too, I think. Not sure the CPCs solution of cracking down on bail alone will actually do very much - I'm quite sympathetic to the point that we want to keep *most* people out of jails pre-sentencing. Saying this as someone who has a family member (non-related, now cut out of my life) who turned from a petty criminal / drug addict to a hardcore violent offender through local jail time - this was well prior to Liberal bail reform FWIW. The conditions are BAD. Far worse than higher-level penitentiaries.

Mental Health needs to be a massive focus as well as solutions targeted towards the relatively small group of people who turn into these types of repeat offenders. It's very fair to say things aren't working, but I am not convinced a reactionary "tough on crime" approach is going to actually bring any real long-term solutions.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 1:50 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
It's a tricky situation too, I think. Not sure the CPCs solution of cracking down on bail alone will actually do very much - I'm quite sympathetic to the point that we want to keep *most* people out of jails pre-sentencing. Saying this as someone who has a family member (non-related, now cut out of my life) who turned from a petty criminal / drug addict to a hardcore violent offender through local jail time - this was well prior to Liberal bail reform FWIW. The conditions are BAD. Far worse than higher-level penitentiaries.

Mental Health needs to be a massive focus as well as solutions targeted towards the relatively small group of people who turn into these types of repeat offenders. It's very fair to say things aren't working, but I am not convinced a reactionary "tough on crime" approach is going to actually bring any real long-term solutions.
I agree. Prison rarely, if ever, makes someone a better person. Usually, it makes their life even more complicated, violent and hopeless.

So, does that mean we reform the prison system? Do we start to look at these small-time repeat offenders as products of the system, and treat jail like a rehabilitation centre early on? A mixture of health care and a "time out" from society until we get to the root of the problem, and reach that breakthrough moment?

Clearly, things as they are now are not working, and keeping people with a laundry list of violent offences and hardcore drug dependencies out on the streets indefinitely isn't doing anyone any favours.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
There is somebody I have family connections to who recently pled guilty to harsher charges than he was actually guilty of, in order to get his sentence beyond 2+ years and get into the penitentiary system instead of being stuck in provincial jails - entirely because of how atrocious the conditions are in the provincial jails.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I agree. Prison rarely, if ever, makes someone a better person. Usually, it makes their life even more complicated, violent and hopeless.

So, does that mean we reform the prison system? Do we start to look at these small-time repeat offenders as products of the system, and treat jail like a rehabilitation centre early on? A mixture of health care and a "time out" from society until we get to the root of the problem, and reach that breakthrough moment?

Clearly, things as they are now are not working, and keeping people with a laundry list of violent offences and hardcore drug dependencies out on the streets indefinitely isn't doing anyone any favours.
Prison, at least in Canada, actually does have a lot of services that help to improve things for people. It's the jails that are absolutely horrible.

Prison = for convicts given sentences longer than 2 years
Jail = for convicts given sentences less than 2 years, and non-convicts held in pre-trial custody (denied bail while waiting for their court proceedings)
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Supreme Court rulings and bills introduced by the government have been steadily chipping away at harsher sentencing and stuff like no-bail provisions for repeat offenders over the past couple of years. It's a pretty clear trend.

A quick search of news articles shows it's a phenomenon that is observed throughout most of the western world.
There's been a general trend throughout the democratic world of more and more power being held by constitutional judges instead of by lawmakers, resulting in more and more policy being dictated by lawyers, judges, scholars, and other unelected elites, and less and less policy being dictated by the voting public (who, in a democracy, are supposed to be the ones holding power).

Of course, you can't have a functional/sustainable democracy without checks and balances. A judicial branch and a constitution are necessities. But I think we've gone too far the other way in most Western countries.

This isn't just a right wing worry either. Look at the USA, for example.

If you look at what's happening in Israel right now, where a fiery dispute about where the balance of power should be drawn on legislative vs. judicial is putting the country on the brink of civil war, this can be seen as a warning for what can happen when constitutional courts become too activist and start to make large chunks of electorate feel like their democracy is a judicial dictatorship.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
There's been a general trend throughout the democratic world of more and more power being held by constitutional judges instead of by lawmakers, resulting in more and more policy being dictated by lawyers, judges, scholars, and other unelected elites, and less and less policy being dictated by the voting public (who, in a democracy, are supposed to be the ones holding power).

Of course, you can't have a functional/sustainable democracy without checks and balances. A judicial branch and a constitution are necessities. But I think we've gone too far the other way in most Western countries.

This isn't just a right wing worry either. Look at the USA, for example.

If you look at what's happening in Israel right now, where a fiery dispute about where the balance of power should be drawn on legislative vs. judicial is putting the country on the brink of civil war, this can be seen as a warning for what can happen when constitutional courts become too activist and start to make large chunks of electorate feel like their democracy is a judicial dictatorship.
And yet it looks like Bibi could actually back down!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 12:53 PM

Nevermind

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 4:51 AM

Crazy murder suicide in Calgary the other day. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...eath-1.6813401

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 7:30 PM

Now you understand why Quebec City is not often in this list

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that Israel's PM has been on trial for corruption for the past 3 years.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellimo View Post
Now you understand why Quebec City is not often in this list

Odd that cities like Coquitlam and Oakville make the list but not places like Chiba or Mosfellsbær.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 6:45 PM

Suspicious death being investigated in Quebec City (as of April 24, 2023)
I suspect it might be a drug overdose - in the St. Roch neighbourhood near the Marina St. Roch swimming pool (about 2K from my house). A lot of drug use in that area and we have seen homelessness, too (not in winter, of course).

April 7, 2022, was our first murder last year and December 2, 2022, our last murder. 4 murders in 2022 and 3 in the greater region (2 beyond the limits of the CMQ - the Quebec City metro area).

Levis was at zero. Quebec City at 4, Stoneham at 1

https://www.noovo.info/nouvelle/7-me...de-quebec.html

Stoneham murder was really weird - Achraf Thimoumi was a recent (2019) immigrant from Morrocco:
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2022...fiants-arretes
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...iberte-refusee
I guess we will find out more at the trial.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 7:05 PM

I would also like to make a point about the poster on March 30 (MonkeyRonin - I believe)
"the guy who stabbed a random 16-year-old to death on the TTC the other day had a long history of violent offences and was on probation at the time." Gabriel Magalhaes - was the victim.

On this board, we know that random murders are low on the list - Over 80% of murders in Canada are domestic/family/acquaintances and Crime/mafia/gangs, i.e. people who knew each other personally. The other (under 20%) are random, mental health and incels/terrorists of various sorts - whatever we categorize that nutter in Nova Scotia in April 2020. The reality is that Nova Scotia in 2020, Quebec City in 2017, Danforth Avenue, in Toronto in 2018 and the Toronto Van attack in 2018 are killing at least as many as mental health issues killing random strangers.

I am not arguing against the problems of mental health or terrorism but, in reality, worry about your spouse.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 4:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This one is just a block or so from my house. Everywhere I live, there are murders. It's following me. But it's not me; I swear.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 4:56 PM

Toronto Crime data for the first quarter

15 Murders which is down 37.5%
5 Shooting murders down 70.6%

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 9:13 PM

1st murder of the year for Quebec City has been confirmed. 2 in custody.
April 21 or April 22, 2023

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/two-queb...-man-1.6371733

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...city-1.6824099

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 8:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

What a horrible story. Another one. Surprised it didn't show up here yet.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...nown-to-police

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada