HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:14 PM
sick transit, gloria

I've driven a rented Suburban in central Toronto and it's... not fun. Came within centimetres of badly scratching the side trying to navigate the laneway at our previous place.

We have a Mazda CX-5 and I wouldn't want go bigger. I can parallel park easily enough, but even still feel like I barely have enough room driving on certain two-way streets (same width as one-ways!) like Indian Rd. or Sunnyside. Our car is parked most of the time except for running big errands or going out of town.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 9:03 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
So there are cities where you don't want to own a car - like New York - but if you did own a car, the infrastructure is actually reasonably suitable for large cars. New York actually has fairly wide streets, even its side streets.

Toronto isn't quite on the same level as NYC when it comes to not wanting to own a car, but the width of the streets, alleys, garages (if you have one), and the driveways in pre-war parts of town is such that you don't want to own a big car. For example, I live in a pre-war semi with a narrrow driveway between me and my neighbour that leads to the back where a small garage sits. I drive a CR-V, which is the largest car I would ever own; anything larger and I'm scratching the mirrors. By now I'm used to finding the exact spot to back in, but when I first moved here it was kind of like that scene in the movie Roma where the dad comes home in his giant 70s tank and forwards and reverses for what seems like an eternity. There are other neighbourhoods where the parking is a pad in front of the house, often in a space so small that you have to fit the hood under the porch - in which case not only are you limiting the length of your car, but also the height.

I find that this really cuts down on the size of cars in the inner city of Toronto. This, plus the fact that you don't really need a car means that a lot of cars owned by people - even well-off professionals are usually subcompacts that are from an older era, when manufacturers actually sold cars and they were smaller.

I think that Montreal might have a similar dynamic, but Vancouver doesn't - its sidestreets are fairly wide and the alleys are wide enough for garbage trucks, and therefore for any large SUV or pickup to navigate through.

Good luck trying to park that big truck in New York though! You'll most likely either be parallel parking it on the street or trying to park in a mid-century parking garage. I was actually shocked by how many private car services I saw running those big, black Suburbans & Escalades through Manhattan when I was last there a year ago though - they must have some sort of garage out in New Jersey or Queens or something.

You bring up some good points about Toronto's car infrastructure. Most older North American cities seem similar in many ways - so there's definitely still a sizeable market here for compact cars. Unfortunately for car makers though, this demographic is also probably buying the fewest number of cars (no more than 1 car per household, no more often than once every 10-20 years). Eventually though, we'll run out of early-2000s subcompacts that are still road worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I've driven a rented Suburban in central Toronto and it's... not fun. Came within centimetres of badly scratching the side trying to navigate the laneway at our previous place.

Trying to navigate a U-haul truck through Toronto's laneways was an interesting experience. Couldn't imagine living like that every day with a Suburban or something as your daily driver.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 9:53 PM

What nobody talks about.... How annoying it is to park these days in just a parking lot, with every second vehicle being an oversized pickup. Feel like they need airline wing walkers in any parking lot older than 15 years old to squeeze my compact in.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:24 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
What nobody talks about.... How annoying it is to park these days in just a parking lot, with every second vehicle being an oversized pickup. Feel like they need airline wing walkers in any parking lot older than 15 years old to squeeze my compact in.

Also if you have one on either side in a parking lot and can’t see a thing backing out. Part of the reason I usually back in when possible.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:28 PM
ハルウララ

I'm always impressed by the people who use their underground parking garages in condos, for both the patience to enter and exit out of them as well as parking inside of them. I wouldn't enjoy doing that every day, but it genuinely makes me wonder why you would need a vehicle if you lived in Central Toronto. Maybe if you're working elsewhere in the GTA but that seems counterintuitive.

I've rented cars occasionally that were to be picked up in condo parking garages and the whole thing just seems like a nightmare. If i'm renting a car in the city i'm getting one as small as possible, and if i'm moving furniture i'm probably renting a minivan or small moving van if possible.

I did have to drive an oversized pickup in downtown one time when my boss was dropping it off and gave me the keys. Very annoying. Any longer than ten minutes and I was going to lose the side mirrors. I felt like an ass driving it around and was very glad to return the keys.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Completely agree. It feels like the standards for parking lots haven't changed since the 80s when the average vehicle was an Olds Cutlass. Underground parkades are especially bad for this... I remember watching a guy scrape the entire side of his pickup truck backing into a tiny stall in the Edmonton City Hall parkade a few years ago!

The US is totally different... when I go across the border to ND or MN, the spaces are very ample with plenty of room to park even the largest truck or SUV. Mind you, they do like them big down there... Tahoes and Expeditions and such are a common sight in those parts.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, I’ve got friends in condo buildings that were designed for cars and in the 1990-2000s. They can barely get out of their car thanks to bros parking these ridiculously oversized vehicles in their allotted space (designed for something much smaller). It’s mind blowing that even supposedly “green” governments allowed these behemoths to proliferate.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:50 PM

I severely scratched the roof of my old boss's F-150 just enetering a Toronto parking garage about 5 years ago . I was surprised because it was totally stock. It appeared that the pipe or whatever was the right minimum height over that exact spot, but didn't take into account that when you're under that spot your wheel are 6 feet behind you still up the ramp

I had no time to find another spot to park... ahhh, the days of hand-delivering tenders. Glad those are over!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:23 PM
Registered Drug User

Why does somebody driving a car like that get a vanity plate like this? Is he a bureaucrat wanting to head the disapproval over the perceived ostentation of a Corvette off at the pass?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Why does somebody driving a car like that get a vanity plate like this? Is he a bureaucrat wanting to head the disapproval over the perceived ostentation of a Corvette off at the pass?
Waterloo software bro?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:29 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Waterloo software bro?
Oh, d'uh! Should have guessed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post

We have a Mazda CX-5 and I wouldn't want go bigger. I can parallel park easily enough, but even still feel like I barely have enough room driving on certain two-way streets (same width as one-ways!) like Indian Rd. or Sunnyside. Our car is parked most of the time except for running big errands or going out of town.
I’ve driven F150s around downtown a fair bit and it’s not fun haha.

I remember parking one down this laneway once.. I think it was literally a 20 point turn to get it into the spot. No scratches though!

My Honda Civic is more than big enough for city driving haha.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EnpiHYScZCyikVk59?g_st=ic

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I used to love nipping through old-Toronto traffic in a Mazda Protege. I could deftly zip in and out of lanes in-between someone making a left-hand turn in front of me (no turn lanes) and the zones of on-street parking blocking the curb lane.

Driving was engaging, a challenge. You could make better progress in that compact sedan through the city than the land whales surrounding you. Then nestle that narrow and short car into a tight spot when you needed to park it.

It was wasted on large multi-lane suburban arterials and high-speed straight freeway slogs where any fool with a pulse could keep a land whale in a 12-foot wide lane (and yet somehow many failed at this task).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:19 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I’ve driven F150s around downtown a fair bit and it’s not fun haha.

I remember parking one down this laneway once.. I think it was literally a 20 point turn to get it into the spot. No scratches though!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EnpiHYScZCyikVk59?g_st=ic
I used to have an 8th gen Civic myself. Great car. Ultra reliable. Just super solid, and fairly fun to drive as well.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:00 PM

I decided several years ago I will park my cars way back in a parking lot. And if it's underground, it will be in the depths of the garage, where there are fewer cars so no one will be beside me. Or I get a spot where only one car can park beside and leave ample room for their door to swing wide open.

One time in a CT lot, I parked in the very closest spot. It was a windy day and the wind caught the door while I opened it. Swung it fully open. But I had left enough room for it to not smash the car beside. Learned my lession that day.

I just had a $6k repair on my Mazda that was two months past powertrain warranty. Mazda Canada declined any goodwill. Anyway, I reported my situation to multiple auto news sites and class action law firms so I can help get the ball rolling on a recall. One site said they are going to run that in their next issue.

While it was at the dealer for a month, they always parked it near the service door. Meaning multiple people were coming and going. When I went to pick it up, there were multiple scratches and dings. This dealer has a huge lot and tonnes of room to park my vehicle far away. It was in one spot close to the door for three weeks the guy told me. Anyway, I brought it back and their body guy fixed it. They also left the undertray hanging a cm down and the bolts were clearly not secured. They left grease handprints all over the A pillar and they disconnected the dashcam from the wires and didn't put back, just like the last time. My dashcam is behind my mirror so I didn't notice at first. The easiest thing to do is just disconnect from the 12v which is clearly visible.

When I had a new Fusion with all tan interior, multiple Ford dealer mechanics would sit on my seat in their greasy coveralls and leave stains and hand it back to me. Really? You thought I wasn't going to notice that on my new car? You've been in and out of hundreds of cars before, many with light interiors and it never dawned on you to drop plastic? The only dealer that regularly did that was White Oak in Sauga and I commended them for having that common sense. Anyway, multiple times I had to point out the stains and said can you please go clean that up?

Last year there were two examples of dumb fuckery. At Bronte Creek PP there were maybe 15 cars and they were parked along the edges. I knew more people would be coming so I decided I would park in the middle of the huge gravel lot. There are no lines but surely given the huge lot, people would leave ample space if they decided to park around me. Nope, I was still in the car and dude with family of four pulls right up less than two feet from me and starts unloading his family while I watch nervously. When he was done, I immediatley reversed and parked again with lots of space. His wife noticed me do this and gestured to her husband. Don't know if she was calling her husband dumb or thought I was doing something dumb. In the first pic, that is a good approximation of what it was like that day and the white car with sunroof would have been me. Notice the cars in the middle left space. Well not the day I went.

Then at Food Basics up north. Parked in the overflow lot close to the road. An F-250 parked there and I parked beside him but with one space in between. We were the only two and tonnes of room in the primary lot. I come back and some minivan is parked right in between us.

I've also twice parked my beater car close to the store in a suburban lot because I didn't care and had a pickup and a minivan park so close to me that my passenger couldn't get in. And one of those times I came out the same time as the other driver and talked to him. He was kind of laughing it off and saying "oh okay". Not even apologize.

People are sheep. Hence the term sheeple. Mind you, we all are to some degree. But do you mature and learn as time goes on. Plus, we are human. We make mistakes even if we are generally sensible. If you do park beside others in a lot and you have a nice car, that's fine. It's more convenient. But it's a risk. And don't complain (or at least don't get too angry) if you come back with dings to your door because 30 seconds of extra walking would have avoided that. And you can't rely on everyone to always be sensible and spatially aware. And there are kids getting in and out of cars. And there are windy days. It is inevitable. Also have to look out for loose shopping carts on windy days. Scout the lot before you park. Last year I saw someone sitting in his new Civic and it got banged by a cart that some lazy person didn't put in the corral or at least hitch it up on a curb/island. He was pissed off.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 8:21 PM

I also wonder how those who live right in the city and have a car and can only park on the street feel about the risk of getting their mirrors sideswiped or bumpers getting bumped into. Are you not too upset if you come back to your car and one of these things happened because you know it’s part and parcel of being in the city?

In NYC, it’s common to see bumper guards because people not only accidentally bump into you but intentionally do it to squeeze into a space. I’ve seen this happen three times. Twice while in Manhattan for 12 days and once in Cleveland by accident. I actually bought a pair of bumper guards for $250 from a garage when I arrived with my rental in NYC for 12 days. Did not anticipate this or I could have researched that ahead of time and paid a reasonable price. And I only parked on the street once it turns out. But all the garages were basically valet and they have signs saying it’s not their responsibility for damage to your car. And they take your car and squeeze them in like sardines. Like they have to remove multiple cars just to get yours out when you come back.

There’s a guy from NJ who moved across the street from me. He was in the NY metro area. When I was talking to him a few months back I mentioned my story about bumper guards after saying I notice you still have yours on. I was thinking he would tell me why but he didn’t. So it’s still a mystery. Maybe they caused discolouration to his bumper and doesn’t want to remove it now. And the car is always home so I doubt he’s parallel parking somewhere. It’s going on 9 months now.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 4:48 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Thought this was funny - Vancouver has installed new traffic-calming barriers on some streets: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/slow...dent-vancouver. Now drivers are mad at the city because they keep driving their big, dumb SUVs into these large, brightly-painted concrete walls.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 6:03 AM

Nearly got T boned the other day by a speeding RAV4 running a stale red light in a 40 KM/H zone. Hard to gauge speed at the angle, but he must have been going at least 70. Those barriers are actually really easy to avoid if you’re paying attention and following the speed limit, which is obviously the point.

In other news, Toyota kills the Camry in Japan:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...-japan-killed/

Last edited by theman23; Mar 28, 2023 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:26 PM
你的媽媽

Something you don't see everyday but guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 6:14 PM
recession proof

I remember when a neighbor got one of these brand new c.1983:
https://imgur.com/a/PHg0P3H

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada