HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
And so does South Africa. Woolworth's or "Woolies" stores are such a delight to shop in. Clean and fresh looking; great customer service; well stocked; and the grocery and wine section are awesome.
The Zellers initiative would be great if it were intended to create a retail experience comparable to Woolworths in SAfrica or even M&S in the UK. Not in the cards, sadly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 6:37 PM
sick transit, gloria

Only downside with Woolies SA is how expensive it can be, particularly for food. I did a fair bit of shopping there since an urban format one was within walking distance of us but damn it really struck home the inequalities of that country. Great product and shopping experience though, ranging from the big department stores to the smaller urban format ones. We don't really have anything comparable.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 7:12 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Only downside with Woolies SA is how expensive it can be, particularly for food. I did a fair bit of shopping there since an urban format one was within walking distance of us but damn it really struck home the inequalities of that country. Great product and shopping experience though, ranging from the big department stores to the smaller urban format ones. We don't really have anything comparable.
The walled residential compounds and prison like security for wealthy weren't enough?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Spatchcock chicken for all!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 12:47 AM

The next Zellers within Hudson's Bay locations to open on Tuesday, April 4th will be:

British Columbia
7 Oaks Shopping Centre (Abbotsford)
Aberdeen Mall (Kamloops)
Guildford Town Centre (Surrey)
Vancouver Downtown

Saskatchewan
Midtown Plaza (Saskatoon)

Manitoba
St. Vital Centre (Winnipeg)

Nova Scotia
Mayflower Shopping Mall (Sydney)
Micmac Mall (Dartmouth)

Quebec
Carrefour de l'Estrie (Sherbrooke)
Galeries d'Anjou (Ville d'Anjou)
Les Galeries de la Capital (Quebec City)
Les Promenades Gatineau (Gatineau)

Note:
**Place Rosemère (Rosemère) will open April 27

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 11:16 AM

^ Ville d’Anjou? I haven’t heard that in about 20 years.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 12:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
^ Ville d’Anjou? I haven’t heard that in about 20 years.
Oh yeah, I still say it on occasion. I also still say "Ville St-Laurent".

When I was a kid they sometimes used to say stuff like "ils habitent à Ville de Laval" but that has died out.

Quebec City also had "Ville Vanier".

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh yeah, I still say it on occasion. I also still say "Ville St-Laurent".

When I was a kid they sometimes used to say stuff like "ils habitent à Ville de Laval" but that has died out.

Quebec City also had "Ville Vanier".
You’re right about “Ville St-Laurent”. I just realized I still say that. But I definitely don’t say “Ville d’Anjou” and haven’t heard it in a very long time.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 4:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
You’re right about “Ville St-Laurent”. I just realized I still say that. But I definitely don’t say “Ville d’Anjou” and haven’t heard it in a very long time.
My Lebanese friends and neighbours call it "Ville Saint-Liban".

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:42 PM
Mooderator

I am unexcited for any Zellers store launching. All they had going for them was Zeddy. Now I am older and bear mascots can go to hell.

(edit - and the hotbox glass smoking cafeterias)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:47 PM

HBC is throwing everything at the wall at this point, hoping something will stick. They probably think it makes them look current and trendy, when in reality it reeks of desperation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:51 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
HBC is throwing everything at the wall at this point, hoping something will stick. They probably think it makes them look current and trendy, when in reality it reeks of desperation.
There are a couple of locations open next to me and I have no desire to drag my family to a mall and subject them to a Zellers kiosk in a Bay store, especially when Giant Tiger is closer and provides the same experience.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I am unexcited for any Zellers store launching.
Zellers is like That '90s Show. An initial 'Oh, they're digging up that corpse', followed by an 'Ugh, that corpse should have stayed buried.'

A laugh track. Red Foreman called someone a dumbass. Yuk-yuk-yuk. How edgy. Sure makes up for the lack of laughs and has that vintage feel. Characters that have remained in a bubble since...well....the '70s. Trades on nostalgia almost exclusively.

Zellers! Remember the indifferent service, marginal prices, and subpar selection of second-rate goods? Zellers! That over fluorescently lit place with mildew ceiling tiles and mystery stains on the floor? Zellers! At least now the old-folks can do some mall walking again! Our uncrowded stores are the best place! Pretend its the 1990s all over again.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 6:26 PM

^ I wonder if they will make you wait in the cashier line at least 15 minutes even if there's only one person ahead of you, just like the old days?

The man in front of me is buying a pack of gum, this should be quick...oh shit, is that a credit card application the cashier is bringing out?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 9:08 PM

Istm that the Zellers “buzz” so far has been pretty much nil.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 10:47 PM
Mooderator

I just recently went to my local Giant Tiger and they have eliminated all but two 'real person' checkouts for 6 automated ones. You have to line up in different lines - a live person or DIY. It must be fairly recent because the seniors behind me were extremely pissed.. probably because this is the one and only human interaction they get during the day.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I just recently went to my local Giant Tiger and they have eliminated all but two 'real person' checkouts for 6 automated ones. You have to line up in different lines - a live person or DIY. It must be fairly recent because the seniors behind me were extremely pissed.. probably because this is the one and only human interaction they get during the day.
I visited a Dunkin Donuts in the US recently and there were no staff at the counter. They directed you to a kiosk (human interaction only provided at the drive thru). Which sucks because it takes 10 times as long to order than to just say it to a person.

I don't live there so obviously it was a one time deal. But I make a point of avoiding places where they expect you to use an order kiosk or scan your own order. Mainly because it takes way longer (the Dunkin kiosk) or the system is a total pain in the ass (self-scan at supermarkets). A year ago I walked out of a Walmart leaving a cart full of groceries behind when they told me they expected me to scan it all myself. That was the last time I ever did a grocery shop at Walmart beyond running in for a couple of items.

There is a Dollarama near me that is self checkout only... I never set foot in there and opt for the other ones instead.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 11:18 PM
Mooderator

I will use the self checkouts if I have one or two things with a barcode.

Limes for my gin and tonic don't have bar codes, and that's when I get mad.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 11:39 PM

^ That's exactly it... hassles with produce, etc. Then you have to sit there and wait for someone to come rectify the situation. I'll scan a few packaged items with barcodes but I'm sure as hell not going to scan a 150-item grocery shop.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 12:07 AM
ハルウララ

The Zellers activation that i've walked past was quite literally a corner of a Bay location with a few red and white signs, some Zellers branded shelves, and...that's about it. Incredibly predictable from that company at this stage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada