HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 5:00 AM

NYC from airplane window...which side ??

Hello everyone. ... I fly out of HPN, LGA & JFK... between Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Philly, Chicago & Charlotte. ... I always try to get a windw seat to get a view of NYC. & possibly take some nice pics. I always seem to get the window seat on the opposite side of the plane. It's so frustrating !! Does anyone have any pointers ?? Thanks in advance for your responses.... I appreciate it.... - Wrong side of plane.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 7:04 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well, I remember flying in from Houston one time and was on the left side of the plane and had a view of Manhattan but flew into Newark International. Ive never flown into JFK but Id surmise since thats on the other side of the city then youd want to be on the right side of the airplane but it probably differs everytime depending on if they have to circle the airport or whatever flight path the controllers tell them to take.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 4:53 AM

I'm sure some people who are pilots on this site could give you some better advice on this, but check the weather forecast before you reserve a seat, if you can. Planes take off and land going into the wind. All three airports have runways that are oriented in the direction of the prevailing winds, plus they have cross-wind runways. If you are making your reservation too far in advance of a weather forecast, then check for the average wind direction for that date and then sit accordingly. I have flown into all of the airports and I was sitting on the correct side of the plane more often than not when flying in. On my last trip, I flew into LaGuardia from DFW in the summer and I calculated that we would probably fly right above the Hudson and if I looked out a window on my right side, I would see the skyline. I was correct.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:31 PM
Bionic Boogie

left side
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography