HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I've got to ask you guys really, how do you afford all this equipment? I still find my 55-200mm vr tele quite expensive! Are you guys all rich or something?

A program like Lightroom or Photoshop Cs4 is probably no big deal for you guys, but it's quite expensive for me.

How do you pay for a wide angle lens, when they're so damn expensive? How do you just run out to the store and buy software casually? Just amazes (**note...I know it's not the case for everybody on here, but I have noticed it with a few people**)

Ha Ha people on this forum seem to have a serious case of equipment fetish,personally I use only one lens 90% of the time (the 18-70mm) I get a kick of going to public events and then checking the photos taken by the so-called "pros" the vast majority of times (at the risk of sounding arrogant) my photos are head and shoulders superior to these hacks with their arsenal of lenses...do you really need a $2000 70-200mm to photograph someone 5 feet away?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Ha Ha people on this forum seem to have a serious case of equipment fetish,personally I use only one lens 90% of the time (the 18-70mm) I get a kick of going to public events and then checking the photos taken by the so-called "pros" the vast majority of times (at the risk of sounding arrogant) my photos are head and shoulders superior to these hacks with their arsenal of lenses...do you really need a $2000 70-200mm to photograph someone 5 feet away?
It was the same thing back in my music days, all these guys obsessing with 50 effects pedals and expensive guitars they can barely play.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 1:35 AM
Making hell of a noise...

Quote:
I've got to ask you guys really, how do you afford all this equipment? I still find my 55-200mm vr tele quite expensive! Are you guys all rich or something?

A program like Lightroom or Photoshop Cs4 is probably no big deal for you guys, but it's quite expensive for me.

How do you pay for a wide angle lens, when they're so damn expensive? How do you just run out to the store and buy software casually? Just amazes (**note...I know it's not the case for everybody on here, but I have noticed it with a few people**)
Yeah, "bought" CS4 and Lightroom Cough** Cough** Torrent it... Cough**

I have to strongly agree with the points discussed...

I have this mindset that whatever that is given to me, I must and will master the tool. I must understand its weakness, its strengths and how to turn its weakness to an advantage.

I remembered my dad once told me a Chinese saying, make full use of the resource whatever that is given to you and soon you'll master the use of it. And whatever you need to spend, spend it. And then use it frequently, it'll be worth what you spend.
But before buying, justify yourself whether you really need it. Some people buy because they want it, not because they need it. Which is much worst.

I know MANY people.... they buy the really expensive stuff and they never use it frequently or at all. That's kinda sad. All the stuff I got for are all I paid for. I didn't ask my mommy and daddy to pay for all I bought than all those rich kids being spoon-fed. The time where I temporarily used my D70 coupled with a cheap 18-70mm kit when my 400D's in the depot is already everything and enough to shoot what I need to shoot for.

You can have all the equipment but you're not the master of his tools is pointless.

Last edited by SomeFormOFhuman; Nov 14, 2009 at 1:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 2:42 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Or like Robert said, USED STUFF! I got my D90 on craigslist

And I'm so so glad because I only paid 950 with the lens. Sadly, it went down in price a couple weeks after, but whatever, I bought it in great condition and I'm loving it.

And if I was rich I would buy the 70-200mm but it's too damn expensive. Used third party lenses will work just fine and will be less than half the cost too!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 2:59 AM

I know that it has to do more with the photographer behind the camera than the equipment...but like kind of what SomeFormOf was saying...I think you still need the equipment to get certain results...but if you're just going to buy it to buy it & not master it...there's no point. I've seen the frequency of some people buying new lenses...seems weird. I think I've mastered my 18-55mm lens (which I had for like 6 months before getting a second lens) and most things on my d40 body besides flash.

Takes me much longer to acquire this equipment...though. I know I really want a wide angle lens...but they are crazy in price. I won't be surprised if it's Nov 2010 and I still don't have one. But that's just a specific example.

Thanks for all the tips/advice/info/etc. guys.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 4:22 AM
Watchin em grow

I aspire to the sayings of Robert Heinlein. "Budget luxuries first". I only have 3 lenses for my D60. The kit lens 18-55 the 55-200 and a 35mm prime. For software I use what I can. I have the trial of Lightroom and my purchase the full version as the price is not too bad, but not at the moment. I will sometimes use the Gimp and UFraw for Nef files (free ) Noiseworks makes a trialware program for noise reduction as well. Microsoft Live Photogallery does in a pinch for quick edits too.

So point is to get what you can when you can afford it and use freeware and trailware until you find and can afford the software you like.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 6:25 AM
So very tired...

^ I used UFraw a few times, found RawTherapee to be much better. It is also free/open source and runs on windows/mac/unix. Give it a try...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 1:46 PM
Making hell of a noise...

Quote:
I know that it has to do more with the photographer behind the camera than the equipment...but like kind of what SomeFormOf was saying...I think you still need the equipment to get certain results...but if you're just going to buy it to buy it & not master it...there's no point. I've seen the frequency of some people buying new lenses...seems weird. I think I've mastered my 18-55mm lens (which I had for like 6 months before getting a second lens) and most things on my d40 body besides flash.

Takes me much longer to acquire this equipment...though. I know I really want a wide angle lens...but they are crazy in price. I won't be surprised if it's Nov 2010 and I still don't have one. But that's just a specific example.

Thanks for all the tips/advice/info/etc. guys.
I admit that photography is a strange kind of beast that is hard to tame - lenses can be expensive, but it's a good investment. Some people just buy lenses as much as they can within a short period of time maybe because they have alot of cash reserves at their end - But IMO you can't rush lenses, just take your time and decide what is important to you and weigh your priorities of what you need. It's expensive gear.

Invest in lenses slowly, say maybe just one lens in a year. My first lens was a 18-55 kit, then in about 2 years later I got a 10-20mm wide.

I believe Nikkor's 70-200mm is more expensive than Canon's equivalent 70-200 L lens. Not sure about that however...

But yeah, IMO just take it one step at a time and upgrade slowly.

As for softwares - yep there are good freebees out there as mentioned and are worth checking out. For me, well... for CS4 and Lightroom gear, I got my "sources"... wink wink. If you know computing you'll get what I meant.

On a sidenote, am I the only Canon user here? I noticed a majority using Nikons.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 3:28 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I have a Canon, and I know staff does as well.

I have a XSi though, so just the entry level DSLR.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 6:36 PM

I've noticed a decent amount of Canon users on this site/in general photog...I know Sekkle uses Canon, can't really remember any others but the ones already said but I know i've noticed more. I think the Nikon users are just more vocal (overall)?

EDIT...maybe thisll help http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeFormOFhuman View Post
I admit that photography is a strange kind of beast that is hard to tame - lenses can be expensive, but it's a good investment. Some people just buy lenses as much as they can within a short period of time maybe because they have alot of cash reserves at their end - But IMO you can't rush lenses, just take your time and decide what is important to you and weigh your priorities of what you need. It's expensive gear.

Invest in lenses slowly, say maybe just one lens in a year. My first lens was a 18-55 kit, then in about 2 years later I got a 10-20mm wide.

I believe Nikkor's 70-200mm is more expensive than Canon's equivalent 70-200 L lens. Not sure about that however...

But yeah, IMO just take it one step at a time and upgrade slowly.

As for softwares - yep there are good freebees out there as mentioned and are worth checking out. For me, well... for CS4 and Lightroom gear, I got my "sources"... wink wink. If you know computing you'll get what I meant.

On a sidenote, am I the only Canon user here? I noticed a majority using Nikons.
I know I'd like a 50mm f1.4d or whatever prime...it's cheap, good reviews, and I like that it can be handheld at night. And I'd like a wide angle lens...11-16mm...12-24mm, something like that. I have photoshop elements...and Lightroom looks really good...so I'd like to have that software...but I don't have interest in cs4 right now. After that is wishful thinking...stuff that I don't necessarily need YET...like a 35mm prime, perhaps a fisheye, a flash, more software...plus who know whatll be out in 2 years

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 7:20 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, I've used CS4 and really, I never found much out of it though. I think CS4 is too advanced for me. I mean, I only use it for Perspective Correction, and that's about it. I prefer lightroom over CS4 because colors come out so much better.

As for the lenses, I've had a camera [in general] since 2006 and I've wanted a wide angle lens since 2008. I feel like it's time for wide angle. And yeah, you might spend more on some lenses but the result will be fantastic. I really want [yes! i admit it. i'm one of those who want!] f/2.8 lenses but I won't get one for a very very long time. And a 50mm 1.4D but these are 300 dollars. I've found some used for 250 so I might get one on Craigslist or something. But I'd have to either sell my 18-105 or save up more money so I can get it. And right now I want the Tokina more than the 50mm and I'm love the convenience of the 18-105. Not sure if it's the right decision but either way I'll love it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 8:24 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Is it shocking to anybody else that Staples has several copies of CS4 but no Lightroom? Seems bizarre to me.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 8:29 PM

Whups when I said 50mm...I meand f1.8, not 1.4 which is waaay more expensive in cost.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 9:54 PM
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
I'm a big fan of your photos, what lens do you use for the other 10%?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
I'm a big fan of your photos, what lens do you use for the other 10%?
Thank you for your kind words ,I usually only get death threats when it comes to photography.To answer your question my other lens is the cheapo plastic 55-200mmVR ,this lens leaves me sratching my head everytime I use it ,I say this because it's performance goes from great to total rubbish, I never know if the good lens or the evil lens will show up

a few examples of the 55-200mm in action

a few example of the 18-70mm

And last but not least an example of my patented doom and gloom look using again the 18-70mm

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Did the "evil" lens show up in any of those, because I couldn't tell. They all look great to me.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 12:35 AM
Ciao tutti

mr.John breathtaking as usual. Ciao Rumors.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Did the "evil" lens show up in any of those, because I couldn't tell. They all look great to me.
No Bruno (that's what I call the evil lens) didn't show up, but he's in my camera bag waiting to bitch slap me when I least expect it

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 2:44 PM
Ciao tutti

mr.John I've notice that you take a lot of you shots when it's raining, do you use some kind of cover? I'm really paranoid about getting water spots on my lens.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 4:44 PM

I don't really do a lot of rain shooting ,I do most of my shooting on overcast days it's gives me the mood I'm looking for (doom and gloom) getting back to rain photography use one of those golf umbrellas for cover they're great, try to shoot only in light rain with no wind (don't waste your time in the pouring rain with heavy wiinds you're asking for trouble) make sure you have the lens hood on( it does a good job keeping water off the lens),carry a lens cloth to wipe away any drops on your lens, and you can also wrap your camera in plastic to prevent any water damage...a few rain shots for your amusement

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography