HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 4:15 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/pr...adLine_id=1330

WTC TRANSPORTATION HUB MAKING TANGIBLE PROGRESS INCLUDING IMMINENT INSTALLATION OF MASSIVE ICONIC ARCHES

Quote:
Oct 21, 2010

Next month, work will begin to build foundations for the Transportation Hall and Oculus, the most visible part of the Hub. The roof of the Oculus will start to be installed after the Hub’s main concourse reaches street level in 2012.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 7:56 PM
BROOKLYN

Yes, very exciting!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/pr...adLine_id=1330

WTC TRANSPORTATION HUB MAKING TANGIBLE PROGRESS INCLUDING IMMINENT INSTALLATION OF MASSIVE ICONIC ARCHES
See? They HAVEN'T begun yet. I knew it...I only started seeing very small-scale excavation in the last picture we have of the bathtub.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:09 AM

Taken February 9, 2011

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
See? They HAVEN'T begun yet. I knew it...I only started seeing very small-scale excavation in the last picture we have of the bathtub.
Most of the transit hub is already under construction. As for the portion that is in the east bathtub, there is currently a crane there needed for building the rest of the structure, located in the memorial quadrant. Most of the transit hub lies on the other side of the bath tub. If you look at this rendering you can see that this is what they have been working on for months, and you can see that almost all of these arches in this picture have been put in place, (Save for the center spine). Once this is done then they can move on to the other portion of the structure, which is guaranteed to be built right now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Most of the transit hub is already under construction. As for the portion that is in the east bathtub, there is currently a crane there needed for building the rest of the structure, located in the memorial quadrant. Most of the transit hub lies on the other side of the bath tub. If you look at this rendering you can see that this is what they have been working on for months, and you can see that almost all of these arches in this picture have been put in place, (Save for the center spine). Once this is done then they can move on to the other portion of the structure, which is guaranteed to be built right now.
I know...I've been watching this thread for months as well. As I stated in my earlier posts, I was only talking about the Oculus. I'm not sure how much clearer I could have been without knowing the name "Oculus".

With that said, today's news has answered my question. Thanks for everyone's guidance!

On another note...LOOK AT THE STEEL FOR TOWER 2!!!!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
They have begun work on site, and have been. Because you don't actually "see" the work being done with your own eyes doesn't mean they have not been at work. There is a lot of work down there that you don't or won't see, and visibly it will be a while before you will. And as i stated earlier, you won't see the Oculus until next year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 6:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 9:48 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy

not go go off-topic, but the memorial entrance in that last rendering looks 100x better than what we're getting now. not to mention something simpler would've been cheaper and more respectful (i don't know how ya'll feel, but our current entrance looks like scrapped metal beams).

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add photo

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 4:27 PM
BANNED

I was just thinking about how awful that old rendering looks, and how thankful I am that they upgraded the design to its current form. To each his own I suppose.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:15 PM
TL;DR

I've made no secret of my distaste for the Snohetta design. I am glad the Gehry performing-arts center fell through, though.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...hits_hard.html

First look at hubby's name on 9/11 memorial hits hard as workers begin installing bronze panels

BY Adam Lisberg
February 13th 2011

Quote:
Finally, the World Trade Center is beginning to bear the names of those who died there.

These exclusive photographs obtained by the Daily News show workers installing the first of 152 bronze panels at the 9/11 memorial where the twin towers once stood.

By the time the memorial opens this fall - on the 10th anniversary of the attacks - almost 3,000 names will be emblazoned there in a permanent tribute to their memories.

"It just gave me the chills that Jeff's name is up there, because 10 years doesn't make the pain go away," Christie Coombs said after seeing the picture of her husband Jeffrey's name there.

"The permanence of it is a really hard reminder," added Coombs, 50, who lives in Abington, Mass., with their three kids. "Seeing this hits home that this is forever, and his name will be read by millions long after I'm gone."

Coombs' husband was on a business trip on American Airlines Flight 11 when it was hijacked.

His name appears next to those of two other Flight 11 passengers, David Kovalcin and Peter Hashem.

"This is going to be there when my kids have kids, and when their kids have kids," said Elizabeth Kovalcin, 46, of Hudson, N.H., who is raising their two girls.

"They can go and see their great-grandfather's name there," she said. "That means a lot to me."

The National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum has organized the names according to where the victims were on 9/11, as well as whether they worked together and other "meaningful relationships."

"This is undoubtedly the most meaningful part of the memorial," said memorial President Joe Daniels. "In advance of the 10th anniversary, we will be sharing with victims' families the arrangement of the names of those who were killed."

The six people who died in the 1993 bombing there will also be included.

The 10-foot-long bronze panels are being mounted around the pools that mark the footprints of the former towers, so visitors can touch their names - much like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall.

For now, the panels are protected from the nearby construction by layers of heavy cloth. When finished, they will be lit from below, heated in winter to prevent ice - and cooled in summer to keep the metal from burning visitors' hands.

Signs and other temporary memorials at Ground Zero bore the names of victims for years, as politicians and developers quibbled over how to rebuild.

Now that construction at the site is well underway, Christie Coombs said it's a relief to know the permanent memorial is almost completed.

"There's nothing nice about seeing his name there," she said. "It's an absolutely beautiful memorial. It's also heart-wrenching that my husband's name is part of it."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 2:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

I didn't even know those people and it hits home for me. I had a friend whose cousin was killed that day and I'm sure when I see his name, even though I didn't know him, it will be a powerful reminder. Some people didn't like the plan for this memorial when it was first unveiled, but just as the Vietnam War Memorial in DC, I think it's a strong design that invokes both sadness and hope. I look forward to its completion.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 8:39 PM
BROOKLYN

^^^ As do I. I think its really nice that the victims' names are huge. I just thought that was cool.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 9:02 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
^^^ As do I. I think its really nice that the victims' names are huge. I just thought that was cool.
I know, I didn't think they would be so large. I also didn't know it would be made out of bronze, which is pretty nice. Also, adding heating and cooling to it, makes it the perfect monument for the site. No doubt it will hit the hearts of everyone who visits the site.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I am glad the Gehry performing-arts center fell through, though.

Link? Last i heard it was a go with a big chunk of federal financing. Don't know how you could say you hated it when the only image ever released was very simple massing model with some trees stuck on it. Personally, I was looking forward to final rendering.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/ny...5memorial.html

9/11 Memorial Access Will Be Limited

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 14, 2011

Quote:
For years after the Sept. 11 memorial opens this fall, access will be limited, the president of the memorial foundation said on Monday.

Ultimately, visitors will be able to approach the memorial and its green spaces and cobblestone plazas from all sides. But for years, said Joe Daniels, the president of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, the memorial will be surrounded by the construction sites of skyscrapers and a transit hub, and visitors will be able to use only one entrance.

Organizers will observe strict capacity limits for safety reasons, Mr. Daniels said.

Plans call for a limit of 1,500 visitors at a time, with special consideration given to relatives of Sept. 11 victims.

Visitors will have to sign up online for available spots and print tickets.

The foundation president presented details of the opening to a downtown Manhattan community board on Monday night.

The 1,776-foot 1 World Trade Center, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, is being built just northwest of the memorial site and will not open until 2013. Hundreds of trees will still need to be planted on the eight-acre memorial plaza after Sept. 11, 2011, and cobblestones will need to be filled in.

The transit hub will not be completed until at least 2015. Visitors from the general public will be allowed in Sept. 12, the day after a 10th-anniversary ceremony for invited guests.

The “vast majority” of the four million to five million visitors expected to visit the memorial the first year are expected to get in, Mr. Daniels said.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 4:35 AM
New Yorker for life

http://web.me.com/broadsheet/Broadsh...y_16_2011.html

Staircase Preservationists Step Up
Critics of Planned Demolition Voice Reservations

Matthew Fenton
February 16, 2011

Quote:
Opposition is beginning to coalesce around the proposal by Brookfield Properties, which owns the World Financial Center, to demolish the Grand Staircase within the Winter Garden. The plan, which Brookfield says is necessary to handle the large volume of pedestrian traffic that will pass through the Winter Garden each day once the West Street underpass (connecting the Winter Garden to the new World Trade Center complex and the many subway stations within) is completed and the Vesey Street bridge is demolished. But many resident and Downtown community leaders insist that a way should be found to handle this traffic without demolishing the stairs.

"The Grand Staircase has enormous practical and symbolic value," says Julie Menin, chair of Community Board 1 (CB1). "The practical value derives not only from the fact that thousands of people use it each day to move from one level of the World Financial Center to another, but also because the Staircase becomes a seating venue during cultural and performance events at the Winter Garden."

"The symbolic value," Ms. Menin continues, in a reference to the reconstruction of the Winter Garden's wreckage in the days after September 11, 2001, "comes from the fact that those Stairs are evidence not only of this community's willingness to rebuild, but its ability to do so, and to do it successfully. So there's an enormous iconic and emotional attachment to those Stairs."

Ms. Menin's sentiments are echoed by Roger Byrom, who chairs CB1's Landmarks Committee and is a leader among Lower Manhattan preservationists. "The stairs are a pretty important memorial for many of us," he says. "It's regrettable that Brookfield feels they should be removed. While we understand the need to make changes to accommodate more pedestrian traffic, we should be able to design around that. I would hope that the designers could come up with another solution."

Another skeptic about Brookfield's plan is Amanda Burden, the City's Planning Commissioner. In a June, 2010 letter to Brookfield chairman John Zuccotti, she noted, "removing the Stairs creates a substantial void.... [and] fails to creates a 'grand lobby' space." Her letter continues, "we think it highly questionable as to whether there is a compelling rationale for removing the stairs, which are used regularly, by a broad range of people throughout the day, seven days a week, in exchange for escalators which will only serve to move a select group of users to their destination more expeditiously during a few weekday morning hours." Her letter concludes, "in view of the above, we do not support removing the stairs without substitution of elements that would both fill and enliven the space, as well as provide public amenity."

Ms. Menin adds that, "it's not clear whether City Planning has any direct, legally mandated role in approving or blocking a plan like this." She observes, however, that Ms. Burden's letter to her mentions another component of Brookfield's plan, to build a glass entry pavilion outside the West Street facade of the Winter Garden, of which Ms. Burden writes, "the construction of the Entry Pavilion requires changes to an existing mapping agreement, which City Planning will likely review, and we view changes to the Winter Garden as directly tied to the new Pavilion and public areas."

Either way, Ms. Menin says, "our understanding is that the Battery Park City Authority's consent is required before a plan like this can be implemented.
So our first priority is to engage in a dialog with the Authority, and urge them to get this plan modified in a way that preserves the stairs, or else withhold approval."

When Brookfield made a presentation before to the BPCA board in February, Gayle Horwitz, the Authority's president, responded to the proposal by saying that her staff would conduct and independent review of the plans to ascertain whether demolishing the Staircase was necessary.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 4:38 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Link? Last i heard it was a go with a big chunk of federal financing.
It's about 2/3's funded with Liberty Bonds, pledges from the city, and private donations.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
It's about 2/3's funded with Liberty Bonds, pledges from the city, and private donations.

Thanks. So not quite "a go", but far from cancelled. 66% financed should mean construction wil start sometime soon I would think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture