HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 4:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
“It’s unbearable,” said Biba Clark, who lives in Barclay Tower. She has made dozens of 311 calls in the past two years because of the noise, and she said the work got louder and later within the past couple weeks. Clark knows of people who have left her building to escape the constant humming, pounding and beeping, and she said she may not stay much longer either.

“I don’t want to move,” she said, “but it’s gotten to the point where you get a headache from the minute you walk into your home to the minute you leave.”
Because these people had no idea there would be a lot of construction going on at ground zero. The bottom line is, if you want to stay, put up with the noise and stop bitchin about it. If you can't take the noise, then leave, as some apparently have. Like most people who complain about noise, they'll probably be complaining about the lack of it elsewhere.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 4:46 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Because these people had no idea there would be a lot of construction going on at ground zero.
And that’s the bottom line right there; they should’ve known what they were getting into. No sympathy for ignorance, especially in this case.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 3:44 AM

@Zensteeldude, I saw over at wiredny you said that the $3.2 billion projection could be knocked down by $500-$700 million due to decreased material costs. Do you see that staying consistent for the next 4 years till the transit hub is completed.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 3:52 AM

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...FREE/302149974

Ground Zero Arts Center gets go ahead

City says WTC site a go; project's long term viability doubted

By Miriam Kreinin Souccar

After endless debate over the final location for a performing arts center to be built at Ground Zero, city officials told Crain's last week that the Frank Gehry-designed theater will be constructed on the originally planned site, and that below-ground construction work on the foundation will start next quarter.

The 1,000-seat theater and rehearsal facility, to be run by the Joyce Theater, a dance presenter, was originally scheduled to open this fall. But disagreements between city and state officials, and the complexity of building at Ground Zero, have kept the project on the back burner.

Now, after much wrangling, the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. has released the $50 million needed to construct the subterranean support structure for the center, which will be built in the area bounded by Fulton, Greenwich, Vesey and Washington streets near the 1,776-foot-high 1 World Trade Center.

“We are more optimistic about the performing arts center now than ever,” says Linda Shelton, executive director of the Joyce, the only group left of the four cultural organizations originally chosen by the city to inhabit the Ground Zero site.

But even if the foundation work moves ahead as planned, the project faces numerous challenges, leaving skeptics questioning whether it will ever be built.

For starters, once the underground work is finished, the city will have to wait at least four years to begin construction on the actual building, because the temporary PATH station that is on the site can't be removed until the permanent transportation hub is finished. Estimates call for the Santiago Calatrava-designed station to be finished in 2014, but as is often the case with construction, there could be delays.

By then, building costs will likely be higher, and it is difficult to gauge what the fundraising environment will be like.

A tough nut to crack

Ms. Shelton says that final estimates for the cost of the project are still being worked out, though sources close to the Port Authority say they expect that the “arts community” will need to raise around $500 million for the center.

“The city is not giving up, and the Joyce is not giving up, but the delays have now put us in an economic climate that will have a long-term systemic impact on funding,” says Norma Munn, chairperson of the New York City Arts Coalition. “There's a general, overriding sense that the project seems to be increasingly unlikely.”

Recognizing those challenges, some officials at the LMDC are fighting a rearguard action to shift the center to the Deutsche Bank site at 130 Liberty St. Work there could begin at the end of the year—far sooner than at Ground Zero. And the estimated cost of around $300 million would be much lower, say advocates of the Deutsche Bank site.

Not giving up the fight

In fact, the LMDC is still conducting a study of the two areas. Advocates of the Deutsche Bank site, such as LMDC board member John Zuccotti, don't seem to believe the site decision is final, or will be even after the underground work is completed.

“I am hopeful and optimistic that after a timely and responsible evaluation of the possible sites, the remaining issues will be resolved quickly and the center developed expeditiously,” says Mr. Zuccotti, who is also U.S. Chairman of Brookfield Properties, which owns the World Financial Center.

Nevertheless, city officials continue to assert that the location is a done deal and that the performing arts center will serve as an anchor to the entire Trade Center complex.

“Our goal is to realize the original master plan, which locates the cultural center at the heart of the site,” says Kate Levin, the city's cultural affairs commissioner. “The performing arts center is key to the area's revitalization.”

And city officials seem undaunted by the project's challenges.

“It's not a big secret that the World Trade Center site is one of the most complex real estate development projects under way anywhere, with more than its fair share of starts and stops,” a spokesman for the mayor's office says. “But the performing arts center is an important component of the plan, we're committed to making it happen, and we wouldn't be starting construction on its foundation in the coming months if the project was in doubt.”

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 4:45 PM

Please, let it not be this monstrosity.

This is by far, the worst design i've seen for a building. Look at Beekman. Now I like that tower. Where the hell did this come from?

I'd rather have that little square building like in the site renderings.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 9:20 PM

That square building is a placeholder, but nevertheless, I hope that model isn't what will get built.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
Please, let it not be this monstrosity.

This is by far, the worst design i've seen for a building. Look at Beekman. Now I like that tower. Where the hell did this come from?

I'd rather have that little square building like in the site renderings.
That's not a building, it's a pile of cardboard boxes and rubbermaid containers with broccoli thrown on top...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 4:03 PM

it looks like they are finally placing down the final sections for the the south tower memorial!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Excavation continues for Calatrava's "bird"...

Matt Wootton

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 3:44 AM

^Four levels below grade, how much further must they excavate?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 1:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
^Four levels below grade, how much further must they excavate?
Don't know, but there'll be more blasting when those towers get underway.

Quote:
The loud pounding noise Moutaud and others are hearing is coming from the east side of the W.T.C. site, where the new PATH train hub will rise. The Port Authority is excavating into bedrock there to eventually build the foundation of the transit hub. The excavation will also make way for a portion of the belowground vehicle security center.

To cut into the bedrock, the Port uses massive jackhammers called hoe rams, and that causes “the most invasive noise,” said John Kelly, a Port spokesperson. To mitigate that noise and speed the work, the Port uses blasting explosives during the day

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 5:27 PM

wait so the transit hubs right next to tower 4? i thought it was at the way end. By like tower 1.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 6:19 PM

Small overlay of a shot recently by Feelsgoodlost as well as two pics taken by me in the 9/11 memorial museum down the street from the site....

Hopefully those help peg the hub for you easily enough.

Last edited by CalibratedZeus; Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 7:47 PM

oh okay. yeah i got t2 and transit confused. thanks for clearing it up.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 9:37 PM

where the museum is set to go, is that part of the temp path station?
Are they going to build over that, or are they going to tear it up. Because it looks like its preventing the memorial to get a flat surface across.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 10:13 PM
Brooklyn, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental180 View Post
where the museum is set to go, is that part of the temp path station?
Are they going to build over that, or are they going to tear it up. Because it looks like its preventing the memorial to get a flat surface across.
No the temp path is not where the museum is set to go. the temp path is by the freedom twr and the museum is by tower 2 and 3, the museum is also mostly under ground

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmack View Post
No the temp path is not where the museum is set to go. the temp path is by the freedom twr and the museum is by tower 2 and 3, the museum is also mostly under ground
yeah i understand that. but i mean, what is the thing currently in the spot of the museum? like looking at the diagram where everything is set to be.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 1:34 AM

You are correct in a sense, the actual PATH tracks are pretty much directly below where the footprint of the museum will be, but like 3-4 levels underground. The actual building above ground will be more of just an entrance to the western side of the yellow shaded area, with places (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe some of the following will be only for the families of victims?) to see the waterfalls from underground and to walk around the footprints underground.

The temporary station right now is smack where the Performing Arts Center is slated to go, and right in the middle of Greenwich Street. Considering they only have the approves funds to build the foundation at the moment anyway, it will be quite some time before it gets under way.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 3:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalibratedZeus View Post
You are correct in a sense, the actual PATH tracks are pretty much directly below where the footprint of the museum will be, but like 3-4 levels underground. The actual building above ground will be more of just an entrance
Here's a diagram of the way it plays out...

More of the pavilion...

Down by the footprints...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 3:31 AM

so are they just going to build over that? or are they gonna move the tracks?
im just curious, because that side of the memorial has yet be addressed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture