HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:12 AM
Honored Member

Small and Smaller

A few photos from Hesston Steam Museum north of Laporte, Indiana. It's a neat place to see and ride behind steam power.

This two-foot gauge locomotive was built in Czechoslovakia in 1940, and the workers at the factory hid it under a straw stack to keep the Germans from getting it. It stayed hidden for years after WWII, and came to Hesston in 1988 via a collector in California. When the museum got it, it had never been run.

The train on the right is 1/4 scale, and runs on 14-inch gauge track. It's part of a very large and diverse collection that came to Hesston from the estate of publishing magnate R.R. Donnelly

Another two-footer, this locomotive was built in Germany in 1938 by Orenstein & Koppel, survived WWII, and worked in East Germany into the 1960s. It's the fiercest two-foot locomotive I've seen; it's designed and built like the big ones, with eight drive wheels and superheated steam.

The small train on the left runs on 7-inch gauge track and is 1/8 scale. There are several of these live-steam locomotives that operate at Hesston, and their detailed authenticity and craftsmanship are marvelous to see. They're also a lot more powerful than you might expect, given their size.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 4:40 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

kool. here in winnipeg theres several trains like these you can go for rides on.

are train station also has a museam train museam.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:38 PM
Meh

Neat.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 9:26 PM

Great photos. Theres a great rail museum here in Illinois. Huge place. Havent been there in years, really should make a trip out
http://www.irm.org/

They've got a Zephyr there. I dont think it gets any better. Pure sex.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 2, 2007 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 10:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Great photos. Theres a great rail museum here in Illinois. Huge place. Havent been there in years, really should make a trip out

They've got a Zephyr there. I dont think it gets any better. Pure sex.
I agree. I've been to IRM a couple of times, although it's been several years and I need to get back there. They have everything from trolleys to streamliners on a large attractive property with food concessions and restrooms, extensive displays under roof, and a very respectable piece of track where you can take a ride through the countryside on a vintage North Shore interurban car or a turn-of-the-twentieth-century steam train. In my opinion, it's one of the top railway museums in the country, and it's not far from Chicago.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_1412 View Post
I agree. I've been to IRM a couple of times, although it's been several years and I need to get back there. They have everything from trolleys to streamliners on a large attractive property with food concessions and restrooms, extensive displays under roof, and a very respectable piece of track where you can take a ride through the countryside on a vintage North Shore interurban car or a turn-of-the-twentieth-century steam train. In my opinion, it's one of the top railway museums in the country, and it's not far from Chicago.
yup. and its all volunteer built/operated.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography