HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
If you saw them in my facebook group, the oldest pics are yesterday. The buildings are largely gone.

Today: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...4030961885534/

Photos from yesterday in comments of another post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...3389488616348/
Woah. That’s new. Happy to see some progress on this again.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Woah. That’s new. Happy to see some progress on this again.
I'm not. Neither of these structures should've been destroyed.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 12:50 PM

Spicy memory is now only a memory

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I'm not. Neither of these structures should've been destroyed.
Agreed. Not loving this one at all.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 11:01 PM
PHL

Hate it. Those buildings were charming. Demoing something like that in that neighborhood is fcked. We've seen too many projects incorporating restored historic structures for me to find that tasteful.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 2:23 AM

Losing those buildings would be less painful if what they're building here wasn't so ugly.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:31 AM

Let's not lose sight that this project also took out that cheesy 1-story Wendy's on a prime corner of Center City and which people on here complained about for years. Plus, this project is replacing a giant surface lot on Sansom. Yes, it's unfortunate that they couldn't incorporate the art-deco building and/or the neighboring building (even the facades) but, other than lending some diversity to the streetscape, these weren't that special or unique.

I may be heartless but I look at those two buildings as collateral damage to the greater good: density, height, and the replacement of a surface lot and that notorious Wendy's.

I do agree that the design could have been more imaginative. It is quite generic.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 8:12 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Let's not lose sight that this project also took out that cheesy 1-story Wendy's on a prime corner of Center City and which people on here complained about for years. Plus, this project is replacing a giant surface lot on Sansom. Yes, it's unfortunate that they couldn't incorporate the art-deco building and/or the neighboring building (even the facades) but, other than lending some diversity to the streetscape, these weren't that special or unique.

I may be heartless but I look at those two buildings as collateral damage to the greater good: density, height, and the replacement of a surface lot and that notorious Wendy's.

I do agree that the design could have been more imaginative. It is quite generic.
Correction: the 1101 Walnut project doesn't touch anything on Sansom St. A small portion reaches to Moravian St.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20210921..._afternoon.pdf

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 11:53 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Losing those buildings would be less painful if what they're building here wasn't so ugly.
Yup. I accept most demos for awesome replacements, but this project is ugly and cheap, IMO.

I would rather see a 5ish story brick building on just the Wendy's plot (something similar to the pretty Ambit projects in Fishtown), or a quality high-rise that somehow integrates the Walnut Street buildings into the project.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 12:57 PM

It just sucks that the original proposal with the more slender tower didn't pencil out. The one rendering in the first post still shows 1107 Walnut next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 1:00 PM

I have to disagree. Those buildings should have been demolished they too were extremely generic and are were very much old and tired IMO. The added density and modern updates this building will bring to the neighborhood will make market east and by extension WSQW more vibrant and ultimately more trafficked. An overbuild here would not have been as coherent as the S.19th street proposal.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 1:00 PM

Big disappointment after being teased with the thinner taller tower just replacing the Wendy's, but I guess we knew this was coming for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Plus, this project is replacing a giant surface lot on Sansom.
Quote:
Correction: the 1101 Walnut project doesn't touch anything on Sansom St. A small portion reaches to Moravian St.
Trying to figure out what lot this would even be. On the other side of Sansom?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
I have to disagree. Those buildings should have been demolished they too were extremely generic and are were very much old and tired IMO. The added density and modern updates this building will bring to the neighborhood will make market east and by extension WSQW more vibrant and ultimately more trafficked. An overbuild here would not have been as coherent as the S.19th street proposal.
Agreed. I’m a pretty ardent preservationist, but the demolished buildings weren’t particularly impressive or harmonious with the rest of the block. The “deco” building was sort of bland and the one next to it had odd party walls protruding from it that made it seem awkward. If any of the other adjacent buildings on Walnut were demolished, I’d be pretty upset but the new building will hopefully fill out a corner that was otherwise rather ho hum.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Aug 4, 2022 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:

https://www.phila.gov/media/20210921..._afternoon.pdf
Noted! I thought it was also taking out a parking lot. So to make way for this tower, we're losing Wendy's (fantastic) and two decent older low-rise buildings. I'm still okay here although I recognize I may be in the minority.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 2:19 PM

I miss the Wendys.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 2:32 PM

While we're talking about this block/general area...when is that decrepit building on the corner of 11th and Sansom (across from Top Tomato Bar) going to get a replacement?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
While we're talking about this block/general area...when is that decrepit building on the corner of 11th and Sansom (across from Top Tomato Bar) going to get a replacement?
good question. There have been clemens construction signs in the windows for a LONG time and a demo permit was pulled quite a while ago from what I recall.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
good question. There have been clemens construction signs in the windows for a LONG time and a demo permit was pulled quite a while ago from what I recall.
IIRC that project can't really start until this and Jessup house are finished.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 5:58 PM

Honestly the only thing that really bothers me about this project is the use of limestone colored metal panels over precast concrete. The original plans had concrete but it was switched in the CDR submission. As rents keep rising hopefully we’ll get better quality buildings but in my opinion this is still better than 1213 Walnut.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 12:22 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It just sucks that the original proposal with the more slender tower didn't pencil out. The one rendering in the first post still shows 1107 Walnut next door.
It wasn't that it didn't pencil out cost-wise, but rather a reduction in height to accommodate the Jefferson heliport across the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals