HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Oh wow that's weird they covered up the pit from when they took out those storage tanks. Do they not plan to dig out the site??
If I remember correctly, it wont have a basement. They might dig down a few feet for foundation purposes but that's about it. But if that's the case, you're right, I'm surprised they filled the hole back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_00_05 View Post
Not painting I can see. Plywood in the windows makes me think it's maybe not that close to opening though.
I think another reason why the Plywood might be on the bottom windows is to temporarily deter the homeless and others from stomping in and destroying what's been done since it isn't occupied yet, I forget if there's onsite security or not. But looks like most of the boarded up windows and doors are on the bottom floor while the upper floors are without. But the progress is truly unbearably slow.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:15 PM

Last edited by cesar90; Jun 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 6:18 PM

The quality of your videos is outstanding, thanks Cesar! Something about that glass they are using for Wilshire Grand really emits a high-end feel.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I think another reason why the Plywood might be on the bottom windows is to temporarily deter the homeless and others from stomping in and destroying what's been done since it isn't occupied yet, I forget if there's onsite security or not. But looks like most of the boarded up windows and doors are on the bottom floor while the upper floors are without. But the progress is truly unbearably slow.
I walk by often and have not really noticed any work being performed in months. Maybe they are but its not really obvious when casually looking. I have no expectations for this property. If they ever open a hotel then I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:13 PM

Winning design team, bigger budget announced for new Civic Center park

A group led by landscape architecture firm Mia Lehrer & Associates has won a design competition for the 2-acre park, on the site of a former state office building adjacent to Grand Park at the foot of City Hall

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:48 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:54 PM

With that kind of money for Grand Park they could have bought and fixed up Angel's Flight and the train. Or bought and created several smaller pocket parks. I don't know. The design is ok but I think downtown has bigger park needs than more added to GP.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 8:30 PM

The grant requires them to complete construction by March 2017? Seems ambitious.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post
Winning design team, bigger budget announced for new Civic Center park

A group led by landscape architecture firm Mia Lehrer & Associates has won a design competition for the 2-acre park, on the site of a former state office building adjacent to Grand Park at the foot of City Hall

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

Interestingly, the article mentions that Sycamores (water hogs) and Oaks (drought tolerant) will be planted along Spring and first. In general, most oaks are very, very slow growing trees. Those in the conceptual illustration would need to be at lest over a hundred years old to look that large.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 10:19 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

This is Pershing Square dressed in today's clothes: largely grade-separated from the street with limited access and sight lines, little to no useable green space (only visible), a very large, central concrete plaza, and gimmicky buildings and structures (the best of which may not make the final design). The only hope we have that our City leaders aren't just making the same mistakes of the early 80's is if, as the article says, they are hiring the team and re-designing.

Otherwise, this is pretty laughable.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
With that kind of money for Grand Park they could have bought and fixed up Angel's Flight and the train. Or bought and created several smaller pocket parks. I don't know. The design is ok but I think downtown has bigger park needs than more added to GP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
This is Pershing Square dressed in today's clothes: largely grade-separated from the street with limited access and sight lines, little to no useable green space (only visible), a very large, central concrete plaza, and gimmicky buildings and structures (the best of which may not make the final design). The only hope we have that our City leaders aren't just making the same mistakes of the early 80's is if, as the article says, they are hiring the team and re-designing.

Otherwise, this is pretty laughable.
Absolutely. This is dumb - and very much in keeping with the way we do things here in LA.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 11:20 PM

edit..

I am also disappointed with the Civic Center Park, but people have different tastes.
My wife actually loves it, but then again, she is married to me..

More trees and less concrete would have been nice.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Jun 10, 2016 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 12:12 AM

With MyFig, they're improving 11th, but I think 12th needs more work. It should be shut down cars from Fig to at least Olive (cross streets can go through). It would also be important for transit because the blue/expo wouldn't be slowed down by cars when coming out of the tunnel at 12th.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
But that corner lot was a total eyesore. Considering the immediate proximity to City Hall and Grand Park, I'm not surprised that the city is eager to fix that lot.

But yes, I agree with the above comments about the design. It's quite disappointing that LA keeps over designing parks.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 4:06 AM

If there is one forseeable benefit to over designing and over paying for parks, it is that they last a long time.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 11:15 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Absolutely. This is dumb - and very much in keeping with the way we do things here in LA.
Right because this was so much better.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/9cfb2b36...hya1qaj0yo.jpg

I actually like this park design.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Actually, put a few raised planters around the foundation in that picture, plant a few trees, and from a practical, usable standpoint that's essentially what we're getting. This is a plaza surrounded by unusable green space. Pershing Square with an updated aesthetic. So, yes, it's an improvement, but a marginal one at best. We could do better with our eyes closed and ears shut.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 3:47 PM

Mia Lehrer designed Vista Hermosa park (which I think is exceptional) so I am hopeful she will come through in the long run. I am not very excited about this design for First and Broadway...but then again, I would have loved to see tennis, basketball and volleyball courts in the park!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 4:08 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I agree. Mia Lehrer has done some amazing designs. My hope is that there's another round of public input before the redesign, which the article states is imminent. They selected a team, not necessarily the design. Hopefully that public input can correct some of the ills of the current design.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 4:27 PM
Ascension

All that really needs to be done to make it truly great is to remove the concrete barriers. Instead of calling it a total failure, it's a park that is *this* close to being great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations