HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:21 AM

this vid from 3 months ago starts out about the proj in SF....5:26 about the proj in dtla.....what's sad is that the oceanwide proj in dt was halted a few yrs ago before Covid hit the world, before things were as tired or unsure as they are now becoming.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Isn't the one in San Francisco a giant hole in the ground? Which is...better?
Yep, it never made it above ground.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 12:29 AM

Brookfield now popping into the skyline from all sorts of new angles. This from the newly open and also my new favorite rooftop "Cara Cara" at the Downtown Los Angeles Proper Hotel.

And a larger skyline pic for good measure (with an appearance of the almost complete The Grand). Think this would make a worthy "winter" post card pic for showing off Downtown LA.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Brookfield now popping into the skyline from all sorts of new angles. This from the newly open and also my new favorite rooftop "Cara Cara" at the Downtown Los Angeles Proper Hotel.

And a larger skyline pic for good measure (with an appearance of the almost complete The Grand). Think this would make a worthy "winter" post card pic for showing off Downtown LA.
Great pics, I especially like the first one.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 11:03 AM
Paramoderator

I love the height and color of Brookfield. It's a shame that the design was value engineered. I wish Los Angeles was able to institute ordinances prohibiting developers from doing so without express approval. Buildings in West Hollywood, Culver City, and Santa Monica have to go through the appropriate channels if they wish to alter the pre-approved design of an under construction building. Shouldn't Los Angeles do the same? It seems that every construction project in Los Angeles inevitably succumbs to multiple rounds of value engineering and frankly, I'm sick of it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I love the height and color of Brookfield. It's a shame that the design was value engineered. I wish Los Angeles was able to institute ordinances prohibiting developers from doing so without express approval. Buildings in West Hollywood, Culver City, and Santa Monica have to go through the appropriate channels if they wish to alter the pre-approved design of an under construction building. Shouldn't Los Angeles do the same? It seems that every construction project in Los Angeles inevitably succumbs to multiple rounds of value engineering and frankly, I'm sick of it.
I don't disagree that value engineering is more than prevalent across Los Angeles and I hate it, but I also haven't seen any value engineering on Brookfield compared to the renders. I think it looks great in not just the size but the materials/finish.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:53 PM

[QUOTE=LAisthePlace;9530384]I don't disagree that value engineering is more than prevalent across Los Angeles and I hate it, but I also haven't seen any value engineering on Brookfield compared to the renders. I think it looks great in not just the size but the materials/finish.

Agreed. Not sure what hes talking about in regards to Brookfield Tower

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 8:56 PM
你的媽媽

I'm not seeing any obvious signs of VEing on the Brookfield Tower either. It pretty much looks exactly as designed. Also, photos don't usually look as nice as renderings unless shot in optimal conditions.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 9:32 PM

Is that Brookfield render accurate? In the diagrams Brookfield looks about 6 floors shorter than 777 tower. Looks about 2 floors shorter in the render.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:54 AM

The SSP diagram (which doesn't look like the building rising) has Brookfield at only 655', so they made the image shorter than it appears in the official renderings--which put the tower at 695'.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 8:31 AM

Really hoping Oceanwide is done by the time we get the Olympics. Imagine all of those aireal shots of the city and you see our version of Fountainbleau prominently displayed

Its interesting to think of what could be finished in the next 6 years for the olympics.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 6:20 PM
Paramoderator

They value engineered the curtain wall cladding so that it's now spandrel glass and simplified the cladding around the balconies. Also looks like the two story light well / lounge on the seventh and eighth floors has been removed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 9:19 PM

Brookfield looking better than I anticipated, hope it holds up to the hype.

Great to see so many members contributing to the picture updates, just a few years ago it was rare to get DT shots like these.

I will say though, I do miss Dr. Boffin's 3D Google Earth skyline concepts, but there's not enough new proposals to keep him busy.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:14 AM

Quote:
They value engineered the curtain wall cladding so that it's now spandrel glass and simplified the cladding around the balconies. Also looks like the two story light well / lounge on the seventh and eighth floors has been removed.
Are you saying that the original design called for some "shadow-box" spandrel?

How would you know that?

From the renderings, looks "opaque" to me.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptown2downtown View Post
Is that Brookfield render accurate? In the diagrams Brookfield looks about 6 floors shorter than 777 tower. Looks about 2 floors shorter in the render.
I think Brookfield final height will be about 695', with 777 about 720' give or take. But Brookfield will have 64 floors vs. 52 floors for 777.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Normally when we complain about value engineering--and coming from San Francisco, trust me, we had a lot to complain about--we are talking about a building that turns out ugly. But Brookfield is not ugly. It already looks good.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post

Great to see so many members contributing to the picture updates, just a few years ago it was rare to get DT shots like these.

I will say though, I do miss Dr. Boffin's 3D Google Earth skyline concepts, but there's not enough new proposals to keep him busy.
So fun living down here and getting to see them rise in real time.

Here are a few more shots of Brookfield from yesterday:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 6:09 PM

Some future skyline shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post

You asked and you shall receive. Grey is U/C, Blue is Approved, Red is Proposed, and Yellow is no-news/ unlikely/ not a lot of information.

Downtown from the 110

Downtown
This shot makes me think of the movie Her...

Downtown from Westlake
For whatever reason, the Brookfield model is floating above the ground, and since my SketchUp trail ran out I can't fix it, due to that it appears to be about 10meters taller than it actually will be.

South Park

Mini Building-boom in Skid Row

Pershing Square Tower
I really hope this gets built because it is absolutely insane looking. Also the Tribune Tower in the background is having the same issues as the Brookfield one, so it is also about 10 meters taller than it should be.

Arts District
Is 520 Mateo still under construction or is it on hold?

Chinatown

Some bonus non-Downtown shots

Koreatown

Miracle Mile
Really good 1988 movie of the same name if you are ever looking for something very LA to watch.

Glendale

Hollywood

Hollywood and Downtown

Let me know if you have any other areas you want to see.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Normally when we complain about value engineering--and coming from San Francisco, trust me, we had a lot to complain about--we are talking about a building that turns out ugly. But Brookfield is not ugly. It already looks good.
He invests so much of his time and energy trying to complain about any and everything DTLA. But hey…that’s what’s makes him happy.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 6:40 PM

^Wow, thanks so much for those! I'd be curious to see Century City from a couple of different angles to see how the new office tower from JMB will impact the skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations