HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 4:57 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

It is a very strange back-track, especially after we talked about how weird it was that they announced moving out of Flint the day they announced they were keeping their other operations in the RenCen.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 9:22 PM

Other than maybe not knowing about it in time, I still don't know why Powers didn't get in on the Great Lakes Tech Center auction. They could have bought as much/little as they wanted, at a heck-of-a price. If they could have turned the SPO headquarters into a school, they sure could have turned the GLTC into one. Plus, it's only a few miles north of SPO and right of I-475.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 9:36 PM
Detroiter4life

Mayor Dayne Walling: Buick City could be site of new data center in Flint; EPA to issue final remedy for site cleanup

By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
February 19, 2010, 8:00AM

Quote:
At a public hearing Thursday on a proposed cleanup plan for the polluted site, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said the old General Motors manufacturing complex is in the running as a potential location for a state data center that could employ as many as 100 workers
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...n_now_epa.html

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 5:40 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh man that would be great.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 8:44 PM

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...pany_eyes.html

Quote:
Renewable energy company eyes Flint site for up to 765 new jobs
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
March 16, 2010, 10:00AM

FLINT, Michigan — A renewable energy and information technology company wants to invest $18.5 million to bring its headquarters and eventually up to 765 new jobs at or near the Buick City site in Flint.

The company, Renewable and Sustainable Companies, LLC (RASCO), is asking for $9 million in tax credits to build a facility for its headquarters at 2851 Cole Blvd.

The facility could also house research and development, an engineering department and assembly operation to build and export its products, according to the state. The company uses renewable energy sources to bring sustainable essential services, such as Internet, clean water and electricity, to developing nations overseas.

RASCO expects to create up to 71 new jobs in the first year, and up to 765 new jobs over five years if it expands, according to the Michigan Economic Development Corporation.

The tax credits for the company were scheduled to go before the Michigan Economic Growth Authority at 10 a.m. today. The credits would be worth up to $9.1 million over seven years, but the company is expected to generate more than twice that in state government revenue, according to the state.

The average weekly wage for the newly created jobs is projected to be $559, and the company will also offer healthcare benefits, according to the MEDC.

"We’re just really happy to be a part of the reinvention of that automotive debacle," said Rick Short, the company's chief executive officer. "This truly is a win-win situation for us."

There are not any other Michigan businesses known in the same industry, state documents show.

According to the company's Web site, it is looking to establish Flint as its base for its sustainable development division, called Integrated Distributed Utilities Network (IDUN).

Short said the company uses renewable energy, such as solar power, to provide essential utilities, such as electricity and clean water, as well as wireless broadband Internet.

The tools will allow people in rural areas in developing countries to enter into "micro-business development" so they don't have to relocate to the cities, Short said. The company already has established some pilot sites.

He said urbanization is a problem in developing countries because the infrastructure is fragile.

"Mid-Michigan and Flint are truly the birthplace of the middle class of America," he said. "What better place to export sustainable development and economic hope to other parts of the world?"
If this actually happens, then it will be

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 9:06 PM

Holy shit. This could be huge.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:18 AM

Holy shit is right.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...rassed_af.html

Quote:
State officials 'embarrassed' after learning $9M in tax credits went to Richard A. Short, convicted embezzler

FLINT, Michigan — In a borrowed bedroom in a friend’s mobile home, Richard A. Short often worked hard, building from the ground up the company that eventually would land $9 million in tax credits from the state of Michigan, a friend said.

But Short failed to do one thing — tell his parole officer.

Now, the convicted embezzler is under state investigation after his parole officer saw media footage Wednesday of Short talking about bringing an $18.5 million investment and 765 jobs to Flint with his new cutting-edge company, Renewable and Sustainable Cos., or RASCO.

The revelation of Short’s criminal history shook the state from the governor’s office on down. The Michigan Economic Development Corp. said it was “embarrassed” by the matter and will be tightening its screening guidelines for the tax credit program.

State and local officials said Wednesday, the day after Short’s company was granted $9 million in tax credits, that they had no idea Short was on parole in Genesee County after being sentenced in 2002 for embezzlement. He also had fraud convictions in Oakland and Genesee counties.

A Michigan Economic Development spokesman said that it’s “unclear” whether the Michigan Economic Growth Authority tax credits worth $9.1 million approved Tuesday will move forward, or if there are any legal ramifications that would void it.

Short’s parole officer also didn’t know that Short had formed RASCO or that he was working as its chief executive officer, said Russ Marlan, spokesman of the Department of Corrections.

And, only 24 hours after he shared a stage with Gov. Jennifer Granholm to speak about the $9 million in tax credits, Short was arrested for a possible parole violation at the Flint Township mobile home where his friend Linda Lock said he had lived with her for free because he couldn’t afford rent.

Attempts to reach Short, 57, on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Lock, 62, said Short was trying to move past his embezzlement convictions — in part by bringing RASCO and grandiose plans for hundreds of jobs to Flint.

“He paid his dues in jail. He’s moving forward and he’s doing nothing but good,” Lock said Wednesday. “People do change, and I really do believe he changed.”

Former Genesee County Prosecutor Arthur Busch remembers convicting Short of a fraud-related charge several years ago and said state employees should have known about his background before his company was granted $9 million in tax credits.

He called him “very skilled and very manipulative.”

“He’s got just an extensive criminal history. He has a history of scams,” Busch said. “To give money to a project like that ... shows gross negligence (by) the people who did the homework on this.”

Court documents from his 1999 conviction of attempted uttering and publishing in Genesee County also show Short once had a woman pose as his estranged wife so he could obtain a mortgage on his home. Short worked as a sales administrator at Delphi at the time, records show.

After obtaining a check for more than $73,000, Short admitted fraudulently signing his estranged wife’s name on the check and cashing it in a personal bank account, according to the court documents.

He was sentenced to a year in the Genesee County Jail, and after his release he was sentenced to three years in prison for violating his probation, according to the documents.

Short also was convicted in 2002 of embezzling money from Harding Energy Corp. of Norton Shores when he was the company’s president. He also has prior fraud convictions in Oakland and Genesee counties.

Marlan said Short “owes $96,000 in restitution from prior fraud activities.”

The corrections department’s Web site shows Short will be under parole supervision until Jan. 3, 2011

On RASCO’s Web site, Short calls himself a “charismatic leader” who graduated from the University of Missouri. But Genesee County court records say Short was never a student there.

Lock said she met Short a few years ago, after he had been released from prison.

“He sat at the computer next to me at the career center,” she said. “We got to talking and he told me his story and I felt kind of sad. When you get out of prison you have nothing.”

Lock and Short soon became friends, Lock said. She let him live in her home and he often helped care for her elderly mother.

She said Short had been working on the RASCO deal for about a year. The company, Short said Tuesday, would manufacture and ship renewable energy resources to bring essential services like water, power and wireless Internet, to developing nations overseas.

State records show he formed the company in June.

“He wants to help people in the third world live a better life,” Lock said. “That has become his passion.”

But Flushing resident Dave Delaney wonders how the state could grant $9 million in tax credits to a company formed less than a year ago.

“What does he know about renewable energy?” he said. “Why didn’t the state do its due diligence.”

In a statement issued Wednesday, Granholm’s spokeswoman said the MEDC has been directed to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

“She is disappointed,” Spokeswoman Liz Boyd said of the governor. “It bears noting and repeating that the state has lost nothing from yesterday’s approval of the MEGA for RASCO, which is now on hold. There is no up-front cash involved in this award.”

The MEDC issued a statement Wednesday that it was embarrassed by the news of Short’s background.

“The MEGA board will look at all its options,” said Nate Pilon, an MEDC spokesman. “The MEGA award goes to the company, not an individual.”

The MEDC said in its statement that in the future it will require that companies applying for MEGA credits disclose any prior felony convictions by senior executives and that the state will perform a background check of all company officers before a final MEGA award is given.

“My hope is that it (the RASCO project) moves forward because it means a lot of jobs for Flint and for Michigan,” Pilon said.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:23 AM

I'm literally speechless.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 1:02 PM

That guy should try his hand at politics after this latest incident. Sleezy character? Check. Smooth talker? Check. Previous convictions? Check.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 3:58 AM

there were office lights on in the genessee towers tonight o_O

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 5:01 AM

A rare photography moment. If I still lived in Sagnasty I would've taken a drive down 75 to get pictures.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 9:18 AM

I did snap a picture of it with my ultra shitty nokia phone, but I have no way to upload it right now. There were some lights on in the parking garage and the lobby too. I wonder what's up.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 6:40 PM

Wow - rare moment indeed.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
That guy should try his hand at politics after this latest incident. Sleezy character? Check. Smooth talker? Check. Previous convictions? Check.
Think I'm reading too much into it that the company starts with his initials? The conspiracy theorist in me thinks he was planning to take the money and run, and taunting people in the name of his company.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 6:42 AM

office lights still on tonight. I'm theorizing someone just left them on so that no one would try to start a fire (after the mayor laid off some firefighters, they set fire to a bunch of different houses in retaliation)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 5:42 PM

Wow now is a time for a night skyline shot then. At least you can't see GT's deteriorating concrete at night.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 7:09 PM

It's just half of one floor, and then another on the back side. Not very impressive for a night time shot unfortunately =(

I would love to see that building fully lit up.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 4:16 AM

Yeah it's been awhile since I've seen it with several floors of lights on. If I'm not mistaken weren't CK105.5's studios in that building? I remember this "high up top the Genesee towers" tag line they used. Then again it could just be their communication tower, similar to the way Club 93.7 reps Frankenmuth.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 1:28 AM

I got this email a few weeks ago regarding The Durant. Not very professional.

Quote:

THe durant‏
Sent: Fri 3/19/10 5:39 PM
To: *****@*****.com

Hello I just wanted to inform you that the Durant will be completed on July 31st and we are pre leasing units from August 1st to September 1st move ins. If you are still interested in renting at the Durant feel free to get in contact with me. Prices will soon be listed on the building website at www.thedurant.com and are currently listed on the MTH Management website. If you go to www.mthmgt.com then select ‘find an apartment’ and then click on ‘midrise 5 to 8 stories’ you will be able to see every unit, its pricing, and square footage.

Justin Hentemann

MTH Management

The Durant

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 5:30 PM

I heard the Durant had a fire a few days ago. Was it arson?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest